League 1, 2, Non League Football 2018-19 Season

Two wins on the bounce. Hold me! 2-3 win at Southend - the second Southend goal was from the halfway line and I'm not sure what our keeper was trying to do - it looked like he was avoiding a swarm of bees :lol:

Portsmouth missed out on extending their lead - could have been 8 points clear with Sunderland and Luton drawing 1-1 but lost at home to Blackpool who hadn't won in 5 games. Charlton are sneaking up there with a 0-3 win at Shrewsbury. Only 8 points separate 10th place Fleetwood and second from bottom Plymouth Argyle. 19 games to go for most teams. 

I was convinced we'd be relegated last month but now I'm not so sure. There are 14 teams who could go down right now - that's madness. 

Exeter City have just sold their striker Stockley to Preston for £750k

The fee means Exeter have now made over £6m in transfer fees over the past four years, after also selling Ollie Watkins, Matt Grimes, Ethan Ampadu and David Wheeler.

16 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Portsmouth missed out on extending their lead - could have been 8 points clear with Sunderland and Luton drawing 1-1 but lost at home to Blackpool who hadn't won in 5 games. Charlton are sneaking up there with a 0-3 win at Shrewsbury. Only 8 points separate 10th place Fleetwood and second from bottom Plymouth Argyle. 19 games to go for most teams. 

We were shocking yesterday. Improved a bit in the second half but had 0 shots on target before half time. Blackpool probably deserved the win. We're really missing Ben Thompson in midfield who's been recalled by Milwall. He used to pull the strings and break up play really well. We signed Andy Cannon from Rochdale as his replacement but it's too early to say how he's gonna fit in. He came on as a sub and did ok yesterday but..hmm..shit game all round.

2 minutes ago, Coltrane said:

We were shocking yesterday. Improved a bit in the second half but had 0 shots on target before half time. Blackpool probably deserved the win. We're really missing Ben Thompson in midfield who's been recalled by Milwall. He used to pull the strings and break up play really well. We signed Andy Cannon from Rochdale as his replacement but it's too early to say how he's gonna fit in. He came on as a sub and did ok yesterday but..hmm..shit game all round.

You can't win every game and Blackpool have a tendency to play out of their skins and get a result out of nowhere. They beat Charlton in December and then lost to Oxford in the next game and Bristol Rovers thumped them 0-3 earlier in the season when Rovers couldn't beat an egg. I hate playing them - they're a really weird team. 

I still think Portsmouth have enough this season to go straight up. Sunderland really should given their resources - paying Aidan McGeady a reported £40k a week and their fans seriously think they're some kind of underdog :rolleyes: 

Charlton are looking like dark horses this season though and the form table would suggest they're going to push the top two soon - they've picked up 2 points a game in the last 10. I hadn't noticed Sunderland had a game in hand. 

We've got Coventry and Walsall next at home and Walsall and Coventry, in terms of form over the last 10 games are 21st and 23rd in the form table. Coventry on Saturday and Walsall on Tuesday week (a rearranged fixture). 

• Upvote 1

Came back from 2 nil down to salvage a draw at Fleetwood. After going two down in the first 25 minutes I turned the radio off as I could see where it was heading, but pleasantly surprised to see we'd pulled it back. That said, we still haven't won on the road, we still haven't signed a striker, and we've just been issued with the third winding up petition from HMRC in the space of 12 months. Worrying times, forget surviving in League 1, it's looking like we might have bigger issues :(

On 15/01/2019 at 13:32, Chawkso said:

Came back from 2 nil down to salvage a draw at Fleetwood. After going two down in the first 25 minutes I turned the radio off as I could see where it was heading, but pleasantly surprised to see we'd pulled it back. That said, we still haven't won on the road, we still haven't signed a striker, and we've just been issued with the third winding up petition from HMRC in the space of 12 months. Worrying times, forget surviving in League 1, it's looking like we might have bigger issues :(

Oh shit. I hope you'll be OK as a club - if there's a points deduction from this, you're as good as gone. But yes, the potential of the club no longer being a club is far more important. We went through months and months of genuine fear that our club was going to be liquidated and gone and it was a horrible time. As much as we bitch and moan about our teams, not having them is unthinkable. 

Another sterling performance from Portsmouth today - losing yet again to a team in the bottom half of the table.

Bizarre team selection from KJ though. Puts a right midfielder up front and leaves a guy who is a recognised Striker/CF (Brett Pitman) on the bench.

So that's successive defeats for the first time this season. Seems we've got some work to do so this doesn't become what looks like the beginning of a 'choke'.

4 hours ago, wullie said:

I fucking knew Ruben Lameiras would do us in one day.

I went (obviously). Coventry started exceptionally well in the first half and for 30 mins utterly dominated. Our keeper pulled off four, five, six proper saves and we blocked shots galore. The entire home crowd were silent for long periods in the first half as we all thought the wheels had fallen off our recent resurgence.  Your number 10 was causing all kinds of problems with his pace and movement. We decided that we were the home side with 15 minutes left of the first half and didn't look back even though we went one down from a stunning free kick in the second half. We steam rollered your side in the second half and did what we do best, running at pace and hitting the channels. Ruben was exceptional in the second half. On his day, when he is interested, he is absolute class. 

I thought Coventry were very good compared to the other League 1 sides I've seen but we did generally deserve to win. The free kick you scored was great but it wasn't a foul at all. The ref today was awful. He gave some truly bizarre decisions.

I did enjoy the fact that when you were 1-0 up, you made a sub and the guy going off was as far away from the half way line as possible but when you made a sub 2-1 down, the guy going off was 8 cm from the dug out :lol: that'll learn you. 

The ref was shit as usual. Trevor "fucking" Kettle. Here's a quote from our main fans forum. We have three forums for no reason at all. My Dad moderates one of them Plymouth Not606 and we have a third which is full of people who've been banned from the other two for being utter lunatics.

Trevor Kettle was busy being Trevor Kettle.

How the first half ended 0-0, I have no idea. It should have been a really high scoring game.

There aren't may third tier football matches in the World that would attract over 10,000 people to pay £20+ and generate that much atmosphere and have that much quality on the pitch. Even my Dad was singing Ruben's name when he hit the winner.  It was a good day out.

Good away following from Coventry.

50565277_10218029356107771_8761124863067815936_n.jpg.1757bc0f22593fc46132d6a12639793b.jpg

• Upvote 1

If we had someone clinical or with confidence on the end of the numerous chances we create we'd be comfortably around the playoffs by now. Last season Marc McNulty was exactly that, and we've struggled to replicate it this year while still doing quite well for a team I have to keep reminding myself was lower top-half of League 2 this time last year.

• Upvote 1
6 hours ago, Coltrane said:

Another sterling performance from Portsmouth today - losing yet again to a team in the bottom half of the table.

Bizarre team selection from KJ though. Puts a right midfielder up front and leaves a guy who is a recognised Striker/CF (Brett Pitman) on the bench.

So that's successive defeats for the first time this season. Seems we've got some work to do so this doesn't become what looks like the beginning of a 'choke'.

Looked pretty ordinary to be fair. The tactic seemed to be to hoof it up to your number 10 and hope he did something. Seemed to change in towards the end of the game when you started passing it about but by then it was too late.

Normally in these circumstances I'd probably be feeling like we'd picked someone's pocket, but we legitimately deserved to win today and if our finishing was better should have been 3 nil up just after halftime. 

If we can sign a striker, and it's a big if, then we might just survive this season. That said, next two games are Barnsley and Sunderland so I'll curb my enthusiasm for now.

Nice to have a few jars after a game and it not be doom and gloom for a change!

• Upvote 2
7 hours ago, Chawkso said:

Snap!

We didn't really know what to talk about in the social club.  It's really getting condensed at the bottom of League 1 with only Wimbledon looking adrift.

Sunderland are very strong but Barnsley are more than beatable. We got a point at Oakwell early in the season. We still have Portsmouth, Barnsley, Sunderland, Doncaster, Charlton and Luton left to play. It's usually 50 points for safety in League 1. I can see it being lower this season as just 9 points separate 12th and 23rd place. 

9 hours ago, Chawkso said:

Looked pretty ordinary to be fair. The tactic seemed to be to hoof it up to your number 10 and hope he did something. Seemed to change in towards the end of the game when you started passing it about but by then it was too late.

Normally in these circumstances I'd probably be feeling like we'd picked someone's pocket, but we legitimately deserved to win today and if our finishing was better should have been 3 nil up just after halftime. 

If we can sign a striker, and it's a big if, then we might just survive this season. That said, next two games are Barnsley and Sunderland so I'll curb my enthusiasm for now.

Oh you definitely deserved the win. I'm just trying to work out how we've gone from one of the best teams in the league to ordinary within a few games. That's 3 losses in 5 now.

And, as I said, our team selection was just bizarre. Should have played Pitman from the start and Lowe in his natural right side position, not as a striker.

3 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Why aren't you playing Pitman - he's a bona fide Championship standard centre forward. 

Just watched the highlights of the Plymouth vs Coventry game. That first Argyle goal was absolutely superb - what a half volley. 

No idea. KJ prefers Oliver Hawkins (when he isn't injured) as he seems to fit the 4231 formation better, even though he doesn't score that many himself.

I think he needs to play Pitman more. He got over 20 goals for us last season and was our leading GS.

1 hour ago, Coltrane said:

No idea. KJ prefers Oliver Hawkins (when he isn't injured) as he seems to fit the 4231 formation better, even though he doesn't score that many himself.

I think he needs to play Pitman more. He got over 20 goals for us last season and was our leading GS.

That is pretty fucking stupid. 20 goals are hard to come by. 

2019 stinks.

A 2-0 loss was about what I expected away at Fylde and it's been a tough run of games, but 4 league losses in a row without a goal isn't great. 

We remain only 4 points off the top though.  Had we won the one game we should have done at home to Dover things would be looking aces.

A strange lineup featuring no new strikers and clear attacking threat Tollitt not even making the bench after extending his loan has had Wrexham supporters scratching their heads. Fingers crossed they get their chance against Maidenhead on Saturday and we get back on track. 

Salford are clearly still winning the league, but it's all looking a bit more open towards the top now.

He was apparently a real danger at Plymouth at the weekend. I've only seen him in the one game the week before where he was stuck out wide but was a bit too keen to impress and get involved so he kept drifting in and was out of position a fair amount, but then he'd only been with us about five minutes before being thrown into the starting XI so the most recent report is definitely promising. Lord knows we need someone there at the moment.

• Upvote 1
2 hours ago, wullie said:

He was apparently a real danger at Plymouth at the weekend. I've only seen him in the one game the week before where he was stuck out wide but was a bit too keen to impress and get involved so he kept drifting in and was out of position a fair amount, but then he'd only been with us about five minutes before being thrown into the starting XI so the most recent report is definitely promising. Lord knows we need someone there at the moment.

I don't think he even played. Not on the line ups I just looked at.

Walsall tonight. If we draw or win, that's us out if the drop zone. 

Four wins on the bounce.

We beat Walsall 2-1.  We started well in the first 10 minutes until Walsall seemed to drag us down to their level - Walsall were atrocious.  Their single game plan seemed to be hit it up to the big lad up front (Cook) and hope for a mistake/knock down.  The conditions were poor but I was surprised at Walsall's approach.  Both sides were very narrow and there was no space in the midfield.  We took the lead with a header from a free kick and then, minutes later, scored an almost identical goal from the other side.  We were cruising until we allowed Cook to walk through the defence and pull one back.  We had a few moments after that where we could have possibly conceded but on reflection, we had more of the ball, more chances and looked more likely to score a third than to concede.  We had, according to the stats, just 2 shots on target but we did dominate the game.

We needed that win badly as we now have some tough away games coming up in Wycombe and Peterborough and then we play Portsmouth at home. 

At the start of the year, we really were looking dead and buried and most of us (the Argyle fans) felt we needed to win 10 games to have any chance of survival.  We've won 4 so we need to pick up another 18 points to hit that 50 point mark with 17 games to go.  I think that is now achievable.  League 1 is ridiculous.  If results went our way yesterday, we could have been just 3 points off 12th place.  Fleetwood beating Wimbledon pushed them from 12th to 8th and we moved up 4 places.

• Upvote 3
On ‎19‎/‎01‎/‎2019 at 22:16, wullie said:

If we had someone clinical or with confidence on the end of the numerous chances we create we'd be comfortably around the playoffs by now. Last season Marc McNulty was exactly that, and we've struggled to replicate it this year while still doing quite well for a team I have to keep reminding myself was lower top-half of League 2 this time last year.

I think replacing McNulty was always going to be tricky given we haven't had an out-and-out goal scorer for a longtime. We do have a really strong side and I feel if we had a goalscorer we would be up in playoffs. I guess that's what we were hoping for with Hiwula and Chaplin, but just haven't got as many as we'd have hoped. Hiwula has been out wide most of the time, mind.

Rumour is we're set to sign Michael Rose from Ayr whose meant to be a like-for-like replacement for Willis.

• Upvote 1
11 hours ago, neoELITE said:

Four wins on the bounce.

We beat Walsall 2-1.  We started well in the first 10 minutes until Walsall seemed to drag us down to their level - Walsall were atrocious.  Their single game plan seemed to be hit it up to the big lad up front (Cook) and hope for a mistake/knock down.  The conditions were poor but I was surprised at Walsall's approach.  Both sides were very narrow and there was no space in the midfield.  We took the lead with a header from a free kick and then, minutes later, scored an almost identical goal from the other side.  We were cruising until we allowed Cook to walk through the defence and pull one back.  We had a few moments after that where we could have possibly conceded but on reflection, we had more of the ball, more chances and looked more likely to score a third than to concede.  We had, according to the stats, just 2 shots on target but we did dominate the game.

We needed that win badly as we now have some tough away games coming up in Wycombe and Peterborough and then we play Portsmouth at home. 

At the start of the year, we really were looking dead and buried and most of us (the Argyle fans) felt we needed to win 10 games to have any chance of survival.  We've won 4 so we need to pick up another 18 points to hit that 50 point mark with 17 games to go.  I think that is now achievable.  League 1 is ridiculous.  If results went our way yesterday, we could have been just 3 points off 12th place.  Fleetwood beating Wimbledon pushed them from 12th to 8th and we moved up 4 places.

Given how tight it is in League 1 I suspect survival might not even need 50 points this year.

We got knocked out of the tinpot in style by Bury last night - embarrassingly it was pretty much a full strength team and we got spanked 5-2! Glad to be out of it anyway to be honest, an unwelcome distraction from our league games.

Off the pitch there's continued speculation about what the state of the club's finances are, i.e. we're skint. The current owners of Sunderland are actually lifelong Oxford supporters who tried unsuccessfully to buy the club from the previous chairman before they bought Sunderland. He turned them down and accepted our current owner's offer saying he was doing what was best for the club,  but it's looking less and less like that was the case. Better for him sure, and I have no issue with that as it's his money his put into the club but at least be honest about it.

• Empathy 1
5 hours ago, Bennette98 said:

I think replacing McNulty was always going to be tricky given we haven't had an out-and-out goal scorer for a longtime. We do have a really strong side and I feel if we had a goalscorer we would be up in playoffs. I guess that's what we were hoping for with Hiwula and Chaplin, but just haven't got as many as we'd have hoped. Hiwula has been out wide most of the time, mind.

Rumour is we're set to sign Michael Rose from Ayr whose meant to be a like-for-like replacement for Willis.

Confirmed now. Not sure how to feel about it as he's quite highly-rated but as you say it all but confirms Willis is on his way now. One of the few things I've enjoyed about our recent fortunes is how many academy players we use and he exemplifies that more than anyone

• Upvote 1