Purin

A perverse interest in going online in really old games

Do you also suffer from this?

Recently, I've been doing it more and more. Halo 3 and Perfect Dark Zero on the Xbox 360, Destyny 1 on the PS3!

Yeah I could play Fortnite or something, but I want a game with a player base of 30, not 30 million.

Do you also enjoy this, or is it just me?

• Upvote 1

I’d imagine people still play Halo 3, particularly after the X update, but does anyone still play Perfect Dark? 

I always imagine the only people still hanging around in old games are those who got really good at them and can't bear moving on to a game where they might not win all the time.

• Upvote 5

30 minutes ago, Fargo said:

does anyone still play Perfect Dark? 

Me, of course.

Ah, Perfect Dark Zero? Nah.

30 minutes ago, Fargo said:

I’d imagine people still play Halo 3, particularly after the X update, but does anyone still play Perfect Dark? 

I had a game against 1 person last week. The rest of the spaces were filled with bots. So it looks like there was 2 people still playing it :D

I had a fad of trying this recently on the 360
Golden Axe

Joust

Frogger

Streets of Rage (before it hit GWG)

Age of Booty (multiplayer servers no longer online)

Daytona
Absolutely noone to play with :(

1 hour ago, Purin said:

Recently, I've been doing it more and more. Halo 3 and Perfect Dark Zero on the Xbox 360, Destyny 1 on the PS3!

Yeah I could play Fortnite or something, but I want a game with a player base of 30, not 30 million.

Do people really still play Destiny on PS3? I got it on release and that turned out a mistake as I barely saw anyone after the first couple of weeks but I guess I was left behind somewhat. 

Oh, really old huh? I was thinking Quake/TF or maybe classic Counter Strike from about 1999 before they changed all the guns (pre v1.6?)

I’ve occasionally connected to a Quake DM server but my connection is always shite.

So, never mind online — I miss the days of LAN gaming - give me a bit of network Shogun Total War!

• Upvote 2

15 minutes ago, stefcha said:

Do people really still play Destiny on PS3? I got it on release and that turned out a mistake as I barely saw anyone after the first couple of weeks but I guess I was left behind somewhat. 

I went on it last night and the Tower was full of people running around and I hada 6v6 game in multiplayer after a couple of minutes waiting max.

• Upvote 1

I had a game of Goldeneye:Source the other day, so "Yep" - there was about 20 people playing it, and everyone was dead nice and chatty and were saying nice things when you pulled off a good kill..

It was like the OG Xbox Live Beta, when online games were great.

• Upvote 2

Someone here actually set up a Q3A server around this time last year and had a really fun evening of skirmishes.

The game looks great in 1080p or above, and runs like a dream at 60fps (or above, depending on your display). Unreal Tournament looks fantastic as well.

8 minutes ago, Purin said:

I went on it last night and the Tower was full of people running around and I hada 6v6 game in multiplayer after a couple of minutes waiting max.

What level? My problem is I was playing so slow that when I was out and about it was nowhere anyone was and I'm shit at FPSs at the best of times. Anyway, I got the PS4 version with the PS3 version so I might see what sort of wasteland it is on PS4 now (I got given a mostly-working PS4 the other week). 

11 minutes ago, stefcha said:

What level? My problem is I was playing so slow that when I was out and about it was nowhere anyone was and I'm shit at FPSs at the best of times. Anyway, I got the PS4 version with the PS3 version so I might see what sort of wasteland it is on PS4 now (I got given a mostly-working PS4 the other week). 

34, though I have no idea what that means as I switched to Xbox One at some point, starting afresh.

I was really bad in crucible, which is expected as I'm completelu not used to the game and the dual-shock controller. I guess I'll be fine after afew more games.

Just excited to play again tonight, but doing some strikes and just scooting around in old Russia. Waving at and helping  random people that are there.

1 hour ago, peeveen said:

I always imagine the only people still hanging around in old games are those who got really good at them and can't bear moving on to a game where they might not win all the time.

I think it's a bit of a shame that older games are viewed this way.

• Upvote 1

39 minutes ago, pastry said:

classic Counter Strike from about 1999 before they changed all the guns (pre v1.6?)

There’s old school and then there’s Counterstrike 1.5. Even CS Source would be considered deprecated at this point, I imagine?

Edit - you could be really, really old school and go back to before they nixed bunnyhopping! 1.1?

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Purin said:

Do you also suffer from this?

Do you also enjoy this, or is it just me?

I've been pondering over this recently - especially after putting PGR4 into the 360 a few days back. Think its a bit of rose-tinted glasses thing going on though.

Really used to enjoy playing on the OG Xbox on PGR2 with work colleagues and the people on live at the time - there were less annoying people around back then - broadband was relatively new, Xbox live was newish and people just seemed a bit friendlier. Also PGR2 was awesome game on live which helped! In addition not too many responsibilities back then... just a job, house and a girlfriend at the time.

I am actually on the brink of ditching my PS4 and just sticking with the 360 because I am simply not enjoying the games as much. Spent nearly 2 and half hours on PGR4 the other night and want to go back and play more... not happened in a long while with any game. And its a game I played to death back in the day too!!!! Also forgot how many games with gold games I have racked up on the 360 - even though I don't have a current Live sub forgot you get to keep 360 games which is nice.

Saying all that Forza Horizon 4 is out in October...  which I am tempted to pick a Xbox one up for (still not sure about sitting in front of a PC playing some types of games...)

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, MattyP said:

I've been pondering over this recently - especially after putting PGR4 into the 360 a few days back. Think its a bit of rose-tinted glasses thing going on though.

Really used to enjoy playing on the OG Xbox on PGR2 with work colleagues and the people on live at the time - there were less annoying people around back then - broadband was relatively new, Xbox live was newish and people just seemed a bit friendlier. Also PGR2 was awesome game on live which helped! In addition not too many responsibilities back then... just a job, house and a girlfriend at the time.

I am actually on the brink of ditching my PS4 and just sticking with the 360 because I am simply not enjoying the games as much. Spent nearly 2 and half hours on PGR4 the other night and want to go back and play more... not happened in a long while with any game. And its a game I played to death back in the day too!!!! Also forgot how many games with gold games I have racked up on the 360 - even though I don't have a current Live sub forgot you get to keep 360 games which is nice.

Saying all that Forza Horizon 4 is out in October...  which I am tempted to pick a Xbox one up for (still not sure about sitting in front of a PC playing some types of games...)

Yeah man, those PGR2 days setting up games of Cat & Mouse and drag-race was one of the best times ever. Lot's of jolly talkative Brits having fun.

Forza Horizon for has Edinburgh, which also made me think back to those days.

• Upvote 2

12 minutes ago, Purin said:

Yeah man, those PGR2 days setting up games of Cat & Mouse and drag-race was one of the best times ever. Lot's of jolly talkative Brits having fun.

Forza Horizon for has Edinburgh, which also made me think back to those days.

Cat and mouse...ah yes...  :)Oh and Edinburgh was a fantastic course in PGR2... so much fun especially with the SUV class....

Anyone know if PGR4 will still work online? None of the servers are live anymore for the online stats and stuff (as can be expected I guess it is over 10 years old after all !!!!). Isn't online peer-to-peer on the Xbox so as long as you have a sub you are good to go (as you can be the host).... not sure if things have changed these days though.

Actually thinking about it wouldn't mind playing through Forza Horizon 2 again.. online might be a bit active now that its getting a GwG release this month...and a year of Xbox Live Gold can be had for £27.... :) 

• Upvote 1

2 minutes ago, Hubertus Bigend said:

I've jumped into CS: Source again on my underpowered iMac, and seem to exclusively play with impatient, unforgiving Russians, who curse my screen name and rusty ability.

Must be better than playing with foul-mouthed American teenagers... :D 

I don't play many older games online currently, but I still have a number of discs from way back; UT '99, Q3A, H&D, Diablo II... :wub: 

At least the Street Fighter 30th Anniversary Collection has brought back online 3rd Strike without the need for random PC emulation setups...

I am all for getting people back in Killzone 3 multiplayer. That is still my favorite MP experience, such a fantastic mode.

• Upvote 1

I still play virtua fighter 5 FS online every now and again. The only people still playing that are absolute monsters. 

Does anyone still play the original Little Big Planet on PS3 online anymore? I used to think the original was such a revelation, in that you could play so many different types of levels by many different gamers. I have the second one but the first was always more magical to me.

8 hours ago, Popo said:

There’s old school and then there’s Counterstrike 1.5. Even CS Source would be considered deprecated at this point, I imagine?

Edit - you could be really, really old school and go back to before they nixed bunnyhopping! 1.1?

Hard to remember 20 years on.. I recall a map that was like a rocky canyon, and it had a machine gun platform you could use  at the terrorist base. 

My nerdy 6th form mates and I had a few LAN gatherings in those days. We played Tribes, UT, and CS, and a bit of AoE. It was magic!

• Upvote 1