JohnC

Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

Fox have decided to reboot Buffy  Whedon still involved at some level and credited as Executive Producer, but the main force behind it will be Monica Owusu-Breen, who was involved in Charmed, Alias, Lost, Fringe, Revolution, Agents of SHIELD and Midnight, Texas. Apparently looking for a black lead this time.

40 minutes ago, McCoy said:

It's silly to reboot buffy. Continue a version of it sure, but it doesn't need a reboot. 

It's been a while since I watched it but doesn't Season 7 finish with 100's of new slayers being created? I don't think that would work - they'd need to reboot.

Teens fighting vampires and demons in high school is surely completely played out by this point. Buffy was unique when it came out but tv has been flooded with shows like The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural as well as the Twilight movies. I think Angel would be a much better show to reboot.

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

The Buffy name is still popular, so it could be popular based on that alone. But then if it isn't up to the old standard, it could work against it.

11 minutes ago, JohnC said:

The Buffy name is still popular, so it could be popular based on that alone. But then if it isn't up to the old standard, it could work against it.

Yeah, this wasn’t a weak series that could easily be improved upon, but one that was surprisingly strong for most of its run. Existing fans of Buffy will likely regard it as radioactive, especially as Fox never bothered to release a Blu-Ray of the series that wasn’t complete shite.

I found Buffy quite weak after S3, so it's not a sacred cow to me. I'd prefer it if this new series established its own identity, instead of trying to reboot and recast.

19 minutes ago, ryodi said:

Teens fighting vampires and demons in high school is surely completely played out by this point. Buffy was unique when it came out but tv has been flooded with shows like The Vampire Diaries and Supernatural as well as the Twilight movies. I think Angel would be a much better show to reboot.

Making the vampires permanently disfigured, pestilent and horrific would be a good first step away from the soft focus, sexy vampire-cum-superhero nonsense that Buffy and True Blood arguably popularised. In some of these shows there's almost no reason why someone wouldn't want to become a vampire with superpowers.

They'd never actually do it, of course.

They'll never have any episodes hitting the heights of Passion, or Hush. Passion still remains one of the best episode of television I have ever seen. 

• Upvote 2

8 minutes ago, Thor said:

They'll never have any episodes hitting the heights of Passion, or Hush. Passion still remains one of the best episode of television I have ever seen. 

I don’t recall that one. Conversations with dead people is one of my all time favourites, as was the Musical. 

Just now, Vespa Alex said:

I don’t recall that one. Conversations with dead people is one of my all time favourites, as was the Musical. 

Angel is bad again. Giles has a new love, and Angel taunts Giles by leaving a trail of rose petals in his home up to this bedroom, where there is a romantic candle-lit scene of his love ... dead on the bed. Of course, there's more to it than that, but it's fucking brilliant, and the episode that turned me from mild interest to proper fan. 

• Upvote 2

1 minute ago, Thor said:

Angel is bad again. Giles has a new love, and Angel taunts Giles by leaving a trail of rose petals in his home up to this bedroom, where there is a romantic candle-lit scene of his love ... dead on the bed. Of course, there's more to it than that, but it's fucking brilliant, and the episode that turned me from mild interest to proper fan. 

Ah, yes. When I rewatched Buffy I tended to start from a bit later on. 

Thinking about it, it might be time to do another run through. 

I don't understand this. Why a reboot? The premise allows them to have a new show without changing the setup. It's been long enough they can reset the thing anyway they want - leave it as a mystery, hand wave it, have some weird magic explanation, whatever. 

Yes, the name recognition helps but that's countered by the wall of shit they are going to get from the "ruined my childhood" and racists. 

33 minutes ago, Thor said:

But that's late into S2, why start so late?

Partly cause I was late to Buffy, so I’d started mid S3 and then gone back to watch earlier seasons, and partly cause the later eps looked better on my widescreen tv. 

1 hour ago, Thor said:

That is a brilliant episode, yeah, you really feel for Giles in it too.

I never did finish watching this (nor Angel), despite have both complete box sets (now long since sold). I didn't see any of the last season of Buffy and only up to the end of season 3 of Angel. I might get around to finishing them one day...

Both had some incredible episodes, but were very much of their time (not just because of the pop culture references, but the general tone and language).

2 hours ago, Thor said:

Hush is terrifying! Still.

• Upvote 1

Angel was really good but I don't think it ever pulled in the same kind of numbers as Buffy, did it? It's more likely that they would consider doing a spin-off from the new show, if that proves to be successful. 

Black Buffy? Boy this is gonna be great! The original was such a white show, the only black character I can remember was the ‘original slayer’...and maybe the friend of her awful fella who was working for the government or some shit. That season was the worst! But yeah, the internet is gonna lose it over this. I’d prefer a ‘horror’ show with the creepy vibes of Atlanta/Get Out and social commentary of say Dear White People rather than a do-over with a diverse cast. I really don’t want new actors playing rebooted versions of Spike (Billy Idol who? Let’s make him like David Bowie or something), Xander (Asian), Willow (South African Lesbian), Giles (Computer nerd), etc. 

Or or they could go the Spider-Man Homecoming route and have the 80s feels, oh no it’s gonna be a nostalgia fest like Stranger Things isn’t it. The more I think about this the more confused it’s making me.

Boy this is gonna be great!

Hang on tho, haven’t we already done this with True Blood?

13 hours ago, Gabe said:

I never did finish watching this (nor Angel), despite have both complete box sets (now long since sold). I didn't see any of the last season of Buffy and only up to the end of season 3 of Angel. I might get around to finishing them one day...

Skip season 4 of Angel and go to seaon 5 which is as good as anything in the Whedonverse. A Dawn spin-off or maybe Buffys daughter? Something a bit more interesting than rehash of Buffy.

On 22/07/2018 at 09:46, Illyria said:

Angel was really good but I don't think it ever pulled in the same kind of numbers as Buffy, did it? It's more likely that they would consider doing a spin-off from the new show, if that proves to be successful. 

Buffy was the big show, and Angel was in her shadow. I liked Angel more, as I felt it was a bit darker than Buffy. The episodes where Buffy appeared on Angel was ace though.

• Upvote 1

He did tend to veer between being a likeable idiot and the overbearing self-righteous prick he became when he was giving Buffy a bollocking for something, like not telling them Angel had come back.

• Upvote 2