JohnC

Buffy the Vampire Slayer reboot

On 22/07/2018 at 10:10, McFly said:

Skip season 4 of Angel and go to seaon 5 which is as good as anything in the Whedonverse. A Dawn spin-off or maybe Buffys daughter? Something a bit more interesting than rehash of Buffy.

Season 4 is definitely the most problematic (mainly because of a certain character's arc...or assassination) but I wouldn't skip.

Season 5 is interesting to me because I largely hated it at the time. It's very different to what comes before and a Spotlight Stealer turns up - so easy to dislike. When you realise what it's doing, and appreciate it for what it is rather than dislike it for what it's not, it's a solid season (which only happened for me in hindsight - others might have picked up earlier). 

It sticks it's landing perfectly though and the finale is brilliantly on point for the whole shows philosophy.

• Upvote 5

1 hour ago, jon_cybernet said:

I'm re-watching Buffy atm. I'm sure Xander wasn't this unlikable the first time I watched it. 

Xander's tricky. A lot of time he's a pervy teenage boy. But then that's accurate.

The other problem is in the first few seasons a lot of his opinions/objections aren't necessarily wrong/bad - but he's only saying them for petty selfish/jealous reasons. The same viewpoint coming from say, Giles, wouldn't cause the same reaction.

(Let's ignore S6 and him shall we? :P)

Agree with every word of that, Hexx. Season 4 has some cracking episodes, too. Actually, frig that, everything from Awakening onwards is excellent :)

EDIT: yeah, Xander is a proper dick between about S2-S6 really. Very noticable how dangerously selfish and ignorant he is. It's good writing though, as S7 shows that he's fundamentally decent once he's finally grown up.

• Upvote 1

Plus he goes from being a construction labourer to a craftsman rivalling Da Vinci  in less than year :lol:

• Upvote 1

34 minutes ago, Hexx said:

It sticks it's landing perfectly though and the finale is brilliantly on point for the whole shows philosophy.

:wub: 

Spoiler

Wes and Fred :(

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

40 minutes ago, Hexx said:

Season 5 is interesting to me because I largely hated it at the time. It's very different to what comes before and a Spotlight Stealer turns up - so easy to dislike. When you realise what it's doing, and appreciate it for what it is rather than dislike it for what it's not, it's a solid season (which only happened for me in hindsight - others might have picked up earlier). 

When you say "spotlight stealer in Angel season 5", you're referring to

Spoiler

Harmony

Right? :P

On 23/07/2018 at 18:20, Vespa Alex said:

I wonder if they'll manage to find a selection of actors who are at least a decade too old for their part again?

For all that, they were a damn good ensemble once they hit their stride. That’ll be extremely hard to repeat.

I’m not sure what their plans are for the reboot, but if they go right back to the beginning I can’t see it working with Buffy veterans - every change in the story arcs will be non-canon, every similarity will be seen as a rehash, every casting misstep will be jumped on.

I’m struggling to think of any really iconic shows that’ve been brought back like this, except possibly Galactica, and that went pretty well actually so maybe they could pull this off if they can put enough of a twist into the lore like BSG did. I’m not sure the original BSG ever hit the heights of popularity that Buffy managed though.

I’m bracing myself for the notmyspike hashtags.

• Upvote 2

The tweet in the post above yours strongly suggests it will be a continuation rather than a plain reboot which has to be the better option.

There's no reason why that couldn't be a fine TV show. Cobra Kai showed it's possible to improved on a much loved story.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Vespa Alex said:

The tweet in the post above yours strongly suggests it will be a continuation rather than a plain reboot which has to be the better option.

There's no reason why that couldn't be a fine TV show. Cobra Kai showed it's possible to improved on a much loved story.

A continuation could work - like you say, reading that tweet in a slightly different context (i.e. properly) it sounds like a completely new show in the Slayerverse rather than a rehash of the Buffy characters. As said above they could just rescind the slayer powers dished out to all and sundry. Link it to the events at the end of Angel or something, so we get some continuation, and we go back to having a single slayer somewhere that isn’t Sunnydale.

29 minutes ago, Darhkwing said:

Sounds to me this is a continuation - potentially characters from the original series could turn up..

I hope they don’t though. Too much baggage and they will have aged a lot.

Just give us fresh characters and new creative ideas, with some riffing on what came before.

47 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

I hope they don’t though. Too much baggage and they will have aged a lot.

Just give us fresh characters and new creative ideas, with some riffing on what came before.

The ageing only really matters for Spike and Angel, although David Boreanaz has barely changed.