rllmuk
SMD

James Gunn re-hired for Guardians of the Galaxy 3!

8 minutes ago, Mr Cochese said:

Milo as the new Star Prince, and Jordan B Peterson as Gamorra.

The latter would be better in a Black Panther sequel.

Michael B Jordan B Peterson

• Upvote 2

I just did a search on Bautista to read his latest statement, and discovered that even Piers Morgan is backing Gunn, which took me completely by surprise. Wonder if someone should go through Morgan’s deleted tweets...

2 hours ago, Jammy said:

I just did a search on Bautista to read his latest statement, and discovered that even Piers Morgan is backing Gunn, which took me completely by surprise. Wonder if someone should go through Morgan’s deleted tweets...

It would be incredibly stupid of Morgan if he backed a company sacking someone for mistakes made in the past. The phone hacking cunt. 

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, Gambit said:

It would be incredibly stupid of Morgan if he backed a company sacking someone for mistakes made in the past. The phone hacking cunt. 

You mean Piers “Iraqi Photos” Morgan?

Or perhaps Piers “Dodgy Trading In Viglen” Morgan?

Read an article, not sure it was linked to in here, saying Disney really fucked themselves by firing James Gunn so quickly, and I would have to agree. They made it into such a massive story by doing that, and also probably increased the sense of injustice among fans (and apparently some of the cast). If they'd waited a week or maybe two, said they were looking into the context of the tweets and giving Gunn a chance to explain himself, they'd maybe have been able to walk it back, or if they fired him anyway it wouldn't have made such a splash. If they rehire him now it will be a massive story, and the only thing anyone will be talking about approaching the release... so it's pretty impossible for them to do that I would say. Now they'll probably go ahead and make a GOTG3 with the cast who are legally obliged to be involved, and with a new director who doesn't mind having the stink of filming Gunn's script on them. It'll probably be a decent film. But in many fans eyes it will have to live up to the hypothetical film that James Gunn would've made, which will of course be practically impossible. There's also the chance of cast members not wanting to continue working for Disney past what they're obliged to do, if they feel this episode has soured the whole thing for them (although only Bautista has been open about this). My guess is that unless Pratt and / or Saldana make a fuss they won't be too bothered though.

• Upvote 1

On 30/07/2018 at 20:20, Benny said:

I always knew deep in my heart Bautista would have the script of a gentleman.

Except when he turned Heel on little Rey Mysterio, what a dick

It'd be hilarious if Bro-tista quit the movie and they just acted like Max had really turned invisible.

I saw a comment elsewhere that it was done with such haste to protect the stick price during a particularly sensitive time with the 20th Century Fox purchase.

Not sure how NOT firing Gunn quickly and getting some flak for a short period of time would have much of an impact though.

I really don't think anyone would have remembered by 2020 [had he not been fired]. Even now, no one will remember. BUT WHAT IF A JOURNALIST ASKS A QUESTION AND THERE'S CHILDREN PRESENT

but heh humans like inventing empty problems to make themselves feel more important. All the inane noise demanding peoples attention isn't offensive in itself, but it not being treated for the dribble it is, is. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

• Downvote 2

16 minutes ago, Naieve said:

Except when he turned Heel on little Rey Mysterio, what a dick

It'd be hilarious if Bro-tista quit the movie and they just acted like Max had really turned invisible.

Drax :quote:

11 minutes ago, Loik V credern said:

I really don't think anyone would have remembered by 2020 [had he not been fired]. Even now, no one will remember. BUT WHAT IF A JOURNALIST ASKS A QUESTION AND THERE'S CHILDREN PRESENT

but heh humans like inventing empty problems to make themselves feel more important. All the inane noise demanding peoples attention isn't offensive in itself, but it not being treated for the dribble it is, is. WE ARE ALL GOING TO DIE

R u OK, hun? 

1 hour ago, Chadruharazzeb said:

R u OK, hun? 

I have noticed I am really angry lately. I just got a job, maybe that's it? I flip out anything where clearly there's obvious improvements that would save time and efficiency. I know it's the arrogant language of the ignorant to say 'why don't you do it like this?!', and am aware there will be reasons or laziness behind it. I have an extremely low tolerance for nonsense. I have issues accepting things. None of this makes sense in relation to this thread. I have increasing contempt for what humanity focusses on.

Saying all that, I thought Guardians of The Galaxy was generic and the sequel crap, so a third film helmed by someone else might not be a bad thing to me.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

So the Head of Marvel Isaac Perlmutter is one of 20 people that Trump consults outside of the Whitehouse.

The firing of James Gunn comes pretty clear around now. Nothing to do with his tweets and all to do with his anti-Trump tweets. Marvel just wanted an excuse.

https://www.propublica.org/article/ike-perlmutter-bruce-moskowitz-marc-sherman-shadow-rulers-of-the-va?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1533681163

• Upvote 2

Is Avengers 4 all done now as I remember reading that Gunn had been involved in the Guardian's stuff in 3.

As Liamness said - Disney should have at least said they were looking into it firstrather than a kneew jerk reaction becuase some horrible right wing rapist tweeted about it.

2 hours ago, Phelan said:

So the Head of Marvel Isaac Perlmutter is one of 20 people that Trump consults outside of the Whitehouse.

The firing of James Gunn comes pretty clear around now. Nothing to do with his tweets and all to do with his anti-Trump tweets. Marvel just wanted an excuse.

https://www.propublica.org/article/ike-perlmutter-bruce-moskowitz-marc-sherman-shadow-rulers-of-the-va?utm_campaign=sprout&utm_medium=social&utm_source=twitter&utm_content=1533681163

That says a lot. But I suppose it shouldn’t be much of a surprise.

The whole concept of superheroes is in essence facist. 

19 hours ago, Gambit said:

Chris Pratt sounds like the worst. 

Yup. Pratt built his career on being quick-witted, endearing but he was not afraid to be offensive or outspoken. Apparently, becoming a multi-millionaire and starring in the biggest franchises in the world isn’t enough, you need to sell out and go full right-wing Christian for that extra dollar.

3 hours ago, Phelan said:

Ike Perlmutter is head of Marvel Entertainment, which oversees the comics, TV and toys.

He supposedly has no influence over Marvel Studios movies now - he hasn't since around the time of Captain America: Civil War, when his frugality over budgets led to Downey Jr almost not appearing in the movie: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-civil-war-why-kevin-820147

So it's unlikely that he's the one directly responsible for firing Gunn. Though I suppose it's possible that he might have spoken to and persuaded Alan Horn (who issued the original announcement about the firing) or Bob Iger (who is apparently on holiday now that the Fox deal is complete).

Whoever it was, it seems like they jumped the gun(n) on going ahead with firing him before they had chance to issue a unified statement including Feige. (The Fox deal putting them under pressure to do it quickly?)

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, grindmouse said:

Yup. Pratt built his career on being quick-witted, endearing but he was not afraid to be offensive or outspoken. Apparently, becoming a multi-millionaire and starring in the biggest franchises in the world isn’t enough, you need to sell out and go full right-wing Christian for that extra dollar.

So the assumption is that he "sold out" for money rather than had sincere beliefs he's living out? 

You don't have to agree with him. But other than potentially voting for Trump, I don't see what he's done to earn anyone's ire. You can disagree with people without labelling them assholes, and I'd guess the world would be in a better state now if that was the norm. 

• Upvote 2

13 minutes ago, kensei said:

So the assumption is that he "sold out" for money rather than had sincere beliefs he's living out? 

You don't have to agree with him. But other than potentially voting for Trump, I don't see what he's done to earn anyone's ire. You can disagree with people without labelling them assholes, and I'd guess the world would be in a better state now if that was the norm. 

He’s done a 180 from his Parks and Rec and “married-to-Anna-Faris” days. If it weren’t for his status as one of the highest paid AAA movie stars he’d be mouthing off like Bautista. Taking a pause to pray and reflect is wet, pandering nonsense. It’s transparent. “How can I tacitly support Gunn without taking any damage by association?”

Maybe Pratt was always a closet right-wing dickhead, but he wasn’t pretentious or overtly religious about it.

Anyone who voted for Trump is either ignorant or an asshole.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, Nick R said:

Ike Perlmutter is head of Marvel Entertainment, which oversees the comics, TV and toys.

He supposedly has no influence over Marvel Studios movies now - he hasn't since around the time of Captain America: Civil War, when his frugality over budgets led to Downey Jr almost not appearing in the movie: 

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/marvels-civil-war-why-kevin-820147

So it's unlikely that he's the one directly responsible for firing Gunn. Though I suppose it's possible that he might have spoken to and persuaded Alan Horn (who issued the original announcement about the firing) or Bob Iger (who is apparently on holiday now that the Fox deal is complete).

Whoever it was, it seems like they jumped the gun(n) on going ahead with firing him before they had chance to issue a unified statement including Feige. (The Fox deal putting them under pressure to do it quickly?)

You telling me he has influence over the President but not Marvel Studios? 

2 hours ago, grindmouse said:

He’s done a 180 from his Parks and Rec and “married-to-Anna-Faris” days. If it weren’t for his status as one of the highest paid AAA movie stars he’d be mouthing off like Bautista. Taking a pause to pray and reflect is wet, pandering nonsense. It’s transparent. “How can I tacitly support Gunn without taking any damage by association?”

Maybe Pratt was always a closet right-wing dickhead, but he wasn’t pretentious or overtly religious about it.

Anyone who voted for Trump is either ignorant or an asshole.

Apparently the turning point was his son being born prematurely. That seems like a reasonable trigger vs 'He's greedy'. If anything, I'd say being overtly religious is going to alienate a fair bit of his audience, and risk losing money. 

You don't have to like him or his views. But I have no idea why you wouldn't take him at face value. In the end he signed the letter asking for Gunn to be reinstated. 

• Upvote 4