IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

Any idea of a timeline for this coming to OSX and iOS?

I'd love to be able to see some old games which were very dear to me in my childhood but I've never been sure of going the emulator and finding ROMs route. As others have said the licensed part is a big plus. How have those people been found? Does it always include the creators of the games or are there cases where the licences have ended up elsewhere?

• 2 months later...

Just to let you guys know we are hiring - looking to take on people in a number of roles and with different levels of games industry experience from "none" to "seasoned games industry pro", for the final push to get this thing launched early next year. 

We're looking for programmers, social media/community managers, admin roles and something called "content analysts" which is a whole new type of job we've invented just for Antstream!

I've made a thread about it in retro, here's a link - that post has a link to our job site where all the vacancies are listed along with requirements and responsibilities. 

• 2 months later...
On 25/01/2019 at 20:15, Paul3704 said:

Anything happening with this?

The Mrs. is mithering me to death about when it starts...

Yes!

We haven't quite launched yet, as we were expecting to have done by now ... lots of work going on behind the scenes to make sure everything is just right. 

What we have done is started announcing some of the titles that will be available at launch - our community manager Jo is announcing one new (old) game per day, via the medium of a puzzle, over on our Facebook page - https://www.facebook.com/antstreamgames/

We also have a discord server that has a list of all the game's we've announced so far, as well as lots of friendly retro people if anyone fancies dropping in for a chat. 

It's been going for a while and there's a fair few announced now , and we'll be adding one every day up until launch. 

There's so much I wish I could say but really can't ... including some very big names we're in negotiation with, with the aim of putting their back catalogues on the service. 

16 minutes ago, dave7g said:

Would you not be better off showing it in action, a quick video of how it's going to work? Revealing old games isn't really getting the buzz going for what it's going to be.

Possibly, I think we will be doing something like this pretty soon. The most common questions we were getting were about what games we would have, though, which is why we started with this as the first official reveal. 

• 1 month later...
On 27/02/2019 at 20:20, The Mighty Ash said:

Any news on a launch date?

Sorry for the delayed response - feel free to @ me when you've got a question you want answered in this thread!

No release date as of yet - all I can really say is that the tech is very much ready to go, but we're having to delay due to - issues I can't really talk about publicly at the moment! But, they are "good issues", which means that when we do launch, it's going to be a bigger, better, faster and have more features than we were initially planning on going live with.

On top of that, as we're continuously making progress with adding new games to the service, we are going to have a far more interesting lineup of retro classics ready to go, than if we'd launched before Christmas in line with the original schedule.  

• 5 weeks later...
5 hours ago, Alshie said:

So this is a Kickstarter now? Something about that is troubling after all this time. 

Im still excited to see if it works but any buzz seems to have disappeared. 

Yeah that sounds concerning to me.

It's all gone from yeah everything's on track and everythings going well to suddenly need more funds. If these are extra funds to achieve something grander then fair enough but you also have to wonder if one of the backers has pulled out and they now don't have enough funds to complete and hence not having a 'completion date'. Will have to see I guess, I'm a little concerned that it's going to fall behind a little bit with regards to competition if it takes too much longer.

There are plenty of 'netflix' for games now with xbox game pass and even google announcing they could be getting involved, the mass market are generally going to go for these options  where there are new 'modern' titles.

We'll see I suppose ^_^

Don't really get this to be honest. No problems at all with a Kickstarte, but seemingly this has come out of nowhere when everything seemed to be ticking over well enough. Be nice to know exactly the status of things before forking out cash really.

32 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Why would anyone pay for this though? You can download thousands of roms in minutes for free. Without ingame lag or subscriptions. 

If this was dragons den it would be a laugh and a no from me. 

The same reason anybody pays for games, films, music, etc. rather than torrenting them.  The whole point of this was that by subscribing you're paying the game's original creators, if I remember correctly.  Not sure how they managed to track them all down, but good on them if they have.

Paging @Anne Summers

But surely for every one legit customer you will have thousands of pirates? In this day an age about 99 percent don’t give two shits to stream a film? I use Spotify and amazon music because I know it’s a better quality/more accessible but really an Amiga game doesn’t have those benefits, it will always be the same game (in fact slightly worse on antstream due to input lag)

Also it’s been 5 years in the making and has just gone to public donors? I wish it every success and I have no doubt lots of people have worked hard on it but it’s providing a service no one needs? One could just google retroarch and rom pack and poof it’s all there already 

27 minutes ago, carlospie said:

But surely for every one legit customer you will have thousands of pirates? In this day an age about 99 percent don’t give two shits to stream a film? I use Spotify and amazon music because I know it’s a better quality/more accessible but really an Amiga game doesn’t have those benefits, it will always be the same game (in fact slightly worse on antstream due to input lag)

Also it’s been 5 years in the making and has just gone to public donors? I wish it every success and I have no doubt lots of people have worked hard on it but it’s providing a service no one needs? One could just google retroarch and rom pack and poof it’s all there already 

This bold bit answers your concern. 99% don't stream illegally, not by any stretch and also, if you can get all the old games easily accessible, I'd be happy to pay for them, rather than needing to faff around with Romsets and emulators. 

The market is there, it may not be for you, but it is there. 

Hi all, 

Just checking exactly what I'm allowed to say about this on here at the moment - we have a dedicated PR function now, which I'm supposed to run anything through before I make any "official" comments on public forums.

In brief though - and hopefully I will be able to expand on this later - everything is going fine, we've been planning this since the start (as @strider will be able to confirm, as I accidentally let the cat out of the bag about the Kickstarter when I was talking to him a fair while back!) but we didn't want to announce it until we knew we were in a position where we could definitely launch, very soon! Which we now are, regardless of how well the crowdfunding goes. 

On 19/07/2018 at 11:49, Anne Summers said:

Oh yes. 

We've got some big names on board already, and are having discussions with some HUGE names (pretty much as big as they get tbh). That pretty much means something like an ICO or other unconventional fundraising is off the table for the moment. But in the future it could be an option. But yeah, lets talk on our private channels!

I would say crowdfunding is unconventional funding?

5 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

I would say crowdfunding is unconventional funding?

Without wanting to sound sassy (although I can't help it sometimes) ... take a look at the date of that post. Then note what I said about the "future" in that post. Then consider how today's date relates to the date of that post ;)

17 minutes ago, The Mighty Ash said:

:lol:

You said above it was planned from the start though :sherlock:

20 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Without wanting to sound sassy (although I can't help it sometimes) ... take a look at the date of that post. Then note what I said about the "future" in that post. Then consider how today's date relates to the date of that post ;)

I wouldn't say anything more until you've checked what you can / can't say else people will read into things just like we've all done in this thread!

23 minutes ago, Luseth said:

I wouldn't say anything more until you've checked what you can / can't say else people will read into things just like we've all done in this thread!

What I meant was, it was planned from the start that we might do something like this in the future!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

we didn't want to announce it until we knew we were in a position where we could definitely launch, very soon! Which we now are, regardless of how well the crowdfunding goes. 

On the face of it, this is so not the point of Kickstarter. Their About page states:

Kickstarter helps artists, musicians, filmmakers, designers, and other creators find the resources and support they need to make their ideas a reality.

...not to provide an extra revenue source for people who can already launch their product/service without crowdfunding. Colour me unimpressed. Good luck with Antstream, obvs - it sounds interesting. But this Kickstarter business leaves a sour taste in my mouth at this point. Maybe I'm wrong and there will be ample justification for this crowdfunding revealed on the 9th, in which case I will happily eat humble pie.

4 hours ago, Eighthours said:

On the face of it, this is so not the point of Kickstarter. Their About page states:

...not to provide an extra revenue source for people who can already launch their product/service without crowdfunding. Colour me unimpressed. Good luck with Antstream, obvs - it sounds interesting. But this Kickstarter business leaves a sour taste in my mouth at this point. Maybe I'm wrong and there will be ample justification for this crowdfunding revealed on the 9th, in which case I will happily eat humble pie.

Can anyone crowdfund me a fiver for my tea please? I have some money but if youl pay that would be better