rllmuk
jon_cybernet

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

1 hour ago, Anne Summers said:

I can't remember how to get Head and Heels together at all. 

Put Head over Heels. 

Spoiler

And once done, press the switch character key. That'll swap to controlling both.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

So should it disable access to the leaderboard for a game in which a player has used a save state?

Yes.

• Upvote 1

Wouldn't it be best to have another field in the back end which records whether a score has been recorded using a save state? Then have a toggle so that the users can filter out scores achieved with a save state? The default leader board would filter the scores out but you could see them all if you wanted to.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Tony said:

Wouldn't it be best to have another field in the back end which records whether a score has been recorded using a save state? Then have a toggle so that the users can filter out scores achieved with a save state? The default leader board would filter the scores out but you could see them all if you wanted to.

What's the point of the score if they've used a save state, though? You might as well have a box to type your own score in.

• Upvote 5

25 minutes ago, deKay said:

What's the point of the score if they've used a save state, though? You might as well have a box to type your own score in.

I tend to agree - very surprised that Sega went along with this with the most recent Megadrive collection. 

Anyway - new games are up - including the amazing Where Time Stood Still, plus Arc of Yesod (sequel to Nodes which we put up last week), Armored Scrum Object (aka Alpha Mission), a fun SNK shooter, and Earth Defense, a Mega Drive shooter that probably not a lot of people have played. 

Oh and Impossible Mission 1 - because we finally worked out how to get the level randomisation to work the way it's supposed to. 

Graeme's article ... https://www.antstream.com/single-post/2019/07/11/New-On-Antstream-This-Week

17 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Oh and Impossible Mission 1 - because we finally worked out how to get the level randomisation to work the way it's supposed to. 

Have you fixed the bug in the Spectrum version which makes it impossible to complete 95% of the time?

1 minute ago, deKay said:

Have you fixed the bug in the Spectrum version which makes it impossible to complete 95% of the time?

No I don't think so - we only have the c64 version live at the moment. 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Because some people might not be using it as a way to cheat to get the highest score? I don't have the service so I can't say what games are on there but there must be some games that someone might want to save and continue from their previous position that didn't have a natural saving point in the game. Yes people may be reloading to cheat the system but it doesn't mean everyone is. If it can be used on the go they might want to jump back on and see what their highest score.

It's the same way that scores might be manipulated by people using cheats so you might as well scrap leaderboards for any game that has a cheat mode available. People play games in different ways and if it's not much work then it is still nice to have even if it isn't for you.

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Tony said:

Because some people might not be using it as a way to cheat to get the highest score? I don't have the service so I can't say what games are on there but there must be some games that someone might want to save and continue from their previous position that didn't have a natural saving point in the game. Yes people may be reloading to cheat the system but it doesn't mean everyone is. If it can be used on the go they might want to jump back on and see what their highest score.

Save states and save-and-resume are two different things. The former allows cheating, the latter does not.

48 minutes ago, deKay said:

Save states and save-and-resume are two different things. The former allows cheating, the latter does not.

Yeah, so long as when you resume, it deletes the save-and-resume save. Which it will do. 

So essentially every game that has "save-and-resume" but not "save states" becomes a Roguelike with permadeath. (But unlike a Roguelike, which I believe is where the term "save scumming" originated, you can't cheat by backing up the save file on your computer, because they're saved in the cloud). 

1 hour ago, deKay said:

If anyone here *isn't* exhausted from me waffling on about Antstream, then I do for a good (or bad?) 30 minutes or so on the latest ugvm podcast

There are some AGA games ! Chaos Engine is the AGA version - Sabre Team and Zool as well - possibly a few more!

Also, I can't replicate the Skool Daze issue you mention at all, so not sure what's going on there. 

42 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

There are some AGA games ! Chaos Engine is the AGA version - Sabre Team and Zool as well - possibly a few more!

Also, I can't replicate the Skool Daze issue you mention at all, so not sure what's going on there. 

Pretty sure Zool looked the same as the non-AGA version, but I stand corrected. Maybe make it more obvious when they are?

I never even saw Sabre Team on there, which is a shame as it's my first turn-based tactics game that I actually understood and loved it on the Amiga. Again, you need better ways of finding stuff on there. I didn't try Chaos Engine.

Skool Daze issue was on the Mac client if that matters. Yes, I have been swapping platforms and controllers a lot.

EDIT: But, thanks for listening. I did wonder if anyone at Antstream would.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, deKay said:

Pretty sure Zool looked the same as the non-AGA version, but I stand corrected. Maybe make it more obvious when they are?

I never even saw Sabre Team on there, which is a shame as it's my first turn-based tactics game that I actually understood and loved it on the Amiga. Again, you need better ways of finding stuff on there. I didn't try Chaos Engine.

Skool Daze issue was on the Mac client if that matters. Yes, I have been swapping platforms and controllers a lot.

EDIT: But, thanks for listening. I did wonder if anyone at Antstream would.

No, thank you for the very useful feedback . You've pointed out a lot that we missed and I'm working through getting it fixed. The improved discoverability has been done, just have to roll it out to live, hopefully early next week. 

6 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

No, thank you for the very useful feedback . You've pointed out a lot that we missed and I'm working through getting it fixed. The improved discoverability has been done, just have to roll it out to live, hopefully early next week. 

You have proven the tech can work. How many virgins you had to sacrifice for this Dark Art, I don’t know. I’m not sold it’s the right tech for this sort of service, and as I’ve said there’s a way to go in terms of improvements, but I do genuinely wish Antstream the best of luck and I’m glad you’re acting on feedback.

• Upvote 7

4 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

There are some AGA games ! Chaos Engine is the AGA version - Sabre Team and Zool as well

1656453006_Screenshot2019-07-12at20_45_32.thumb.png.11fdceb6e2b2dc3dbd5ca705122fb063.png

:sherlock:

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

including the amazing Where Time Stood Still,

Does what it says on the tin

• Upvote 1

7 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

Oops ... Maybe that's one I'm adding in the next few weeks ...

Have you just broken an NDA? ;)

3 hours ago, deKay said:

Have you just broken an NDA? ;)

Nah don't think so ... It's just our internal policy of trying not to confirm games we do or don't have, until we know they will fully work. 

Still no "New Games" section? Went on again today and found a few (Mr Weems wasn't there before, I don't think), but there's still no list.

No Sabre Team either.

16 hours ago, deKay said:

Still no "New Games" section? Went on again today and found a few (Mr Weems wasn't there before, I don't think), but there's still no list.

No Sabre Team either.

Sorry! Hopefully by the end of the week!

- Tencent are Nintendo's partner in China for the upcoming Switch launch

- Tencent invest heavily in Antstream

- Nintendo games to appear on Antstream for the service's Chinese launch!!!!!!!!!11111 :omg:

Don't try to deny it, Summers. I know what's up. 

• Upvote 2

Yep, it's all hugely exciting. Partnering with Tencent is going to open a lot of doors for us. Their gaming platform is the biggest in the world and it's pretty cool knowing we're going to be a part of it. 

Thanks to everyone that has helped us out, feedback from here has been invaluable. 

• Upvote 7