rllmuk
jon_cybernet

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

19 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I'm not interested in PR ...

And I will say exactly what I want , thanks. I've been a member here for 20 years and I'm entitled to use this forum to discuss a project I'm involved with, which is totally relevant to the reason this forum exists. 

I would suggest you calm down a bit. As I've said before, we're simply launching a retro streaming service which I assumed some people here might be interested in. I'm not campaigning for Trump 2020. If what I'm doing enrages you to the extent it seems to ... maybe just ignore me? I would suggest it's you that's coming over as a "baffoon". 

Anyway, I'm out of here for a while - will be back if there's any more news to report, or if people have questions which a) haven't been covered already and b ) I'm allowed to answer. 

I can see why you're called Anne Summers now. :)

12 minutes ago, GamesGamesGames said:

I can see why you're called Anne Summers now. :)

Because he's crotchless?

49 minutes ago, Camel said:

@carlospie can you elaborate a bit more on why you think Eurogamer would be giving them a free ride?

It’s more I don’t think they would rip it to shreds if lag existed, they’d brush over it. I just read the digitiser review where they fail to mention anything to do with the lag, despite that being what most of the comments are asking about they just say they’ll comment on it later.... 

51 minutes ago, carlospie said:

It’s more I don’t think they would rip it to shreds if lag existed, they’d brush over it.  

Why though?

23 minutes ago, Camel said:

Why though?

I don’t profess to be an expert at this, but isn’t reviewing all about networking and making friends? 

10 minutes ago, disperse and recoagulate said:

Funny that not a single rllmuker backed it to have early access.

To be fair, the PR in this thread has been pretty terrible. :lol:

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, carlospie said:

I don’t profess to be an expert at this, but isn’t reviewing all about networking and making friends? 

It's all about the reviewer providing their opinion on what's being reviewed. It's not their job to sell what's being reviewed.

1 hour ago, carlospie said:

Yep, which is why reviews are always positive.

Oh wait, that's not right.

• Upvote 1

10 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Can they be told to not mention things though? Wasn’t that the whole driv3r scandal? 

I think that sort of thing is largely gone nowadays.   Well I hope..

Carlospie, you're mad. What major outlet doesn't get sent free games or given free backdoor access to services to review them? I think Antstream is a bit doomed and Anne Summers/jamielemon is demonstrating his usual here. But you're being grossly unfair/keen, and seemingly lashing out at everything and flitting between subjects of annoyance - be it Eurogamer, quantum physics or Anne's PR abilities. You can know it doesn't work as claimed and understand the science, but some decorum and singularity of accusation, jeez. Or at least watch the part of the Eurogamer coverage that talks about the lag. You're making anyone else with concerns/criticisms look rabid. 

Besides, if you wanted to court conspiracies you should've gone with the fact that *gasp!* job cybernet contributed some articles to Eurogamer several careers ago. Dun dun DUN!

• Upvote 9

2 hours ago, carlospie said:

You're confusing Youtube influencers with games journalists.

By the looks of it Ian Higton posted it on his own YouTube channel (Platform32) and not Eurogamer. 

When I posted the video I assumed it was for Eurogamer. Just wanted to clarify that. 

47 minutes ago, carlospie said:

Can they be told to not mention things though? Wasn’t that the whole driv3r scandal? 

I believe review code is sometimes accompanied with information on known issues due to be patched before launch, but reviews would normally still comment on significant issues they ran into regardless of this. They'd normally just mention that they're reportedly due to be patched.

Even so, that's very different from being asked to ignore issues to avoid making a game look bad. It would be a bit much for Antstream to request that reviewers not comment on one of the core aspects of their service. Even if they did, what's in it for the reviewer? The truth would come out the second the service launched for real,  and the reviewer's reputation would be ruined.

• Upvote 1

17 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

By the looks of it Ian Higton posted it on his own YouTube channel (Platform32) and not Eurogamer. 

When I posted the video I assumed it was for Eurogamer. Just wanted to clarify that. 

Is that the video of him playing in the wrong aspect ratio?

Because if so that's why he blocked me.

10 minutes ago, deKay said:

Is that the video of him playing in the wrong aspect ratio?

Because if so that's why he blocked me.

It was this one:

5 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

1 hour 8 for a brief discussion of loading muddiness and a demonstration of lag.

That's a different thing though, more about the stream itself being briefly choppy rather than a comment on the controls/input side of it. 

4 minutes ago, Uncle Mike said:

1 hour 8 for a brief discussion of loading muddiness and a demonstration of lag.

I haven't watched the entire video, but in a mouse pointer controlled game I suspect you may notice the lag sooner. 

I skipped through a bit, and he was playing a beat em up at 1hr 28mins. He comments that background rain effect hilights the digital artifacts. As it was a game he played recently he found it easier to notice the lag and muddiness. 

48 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Does he do the game show host voice on his own channel too? ;)

32 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Reading the description, it totally sounds like they're being paid/sponsored (It looks like the links are tracked too, so it might be down to a referral scheme they're getting paid?)

In today's Retro Games stream, I'll be taking a look at the early access closed beta for Antstream Arcade on Xbox One. Antstream PC gameplay and Antstream Mac gameplay is also a thing, but Antstream Xbox One gameplay is the order of the day today. Come check out this Netflix of retro games and see if it's something you'd like to sign up to when it launches in the UK on July 1st! Sign up to Antstream here: https://www.antstream.com/

Send a sponsored tip to Platform32 and get your message on screen for FREE with Loots: https://loots.com/platform32

Stream intro music by SixNationState. Buy their music here: https://itunes.apple.com/gb/artist/si...

Anyway, in the video he seems to spend LOTS of time on the User Interface, but when it comes to playing the games he seems to be pretty shit at them. Is that down to him just being shit or is it the latency?? He's also fairly clueless at most of the games (no idea how to play Wizball or Wizkid). It's strange that his official Eurogamer retro stuff is pretty decent, but when it comes to live streaming he's pretty awful. Maybe he's just better at games journalism than you know, actually playing the games.

The video also highlights one of the other issues with Antstream. He's literally playing a game for a minute then moving onto the next one.

I'd be more interested if someone like Chinnyvision gave a review, he was brutally honest with the C64 mini recently, in that it was pretty pointless really.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, gone fishin' said:

He's also fairly clueless at most of the games (no idea how to play Wizball or Wizkid).

To be fair I don't think I ever had a bloody clue what I was doing in those two either. 

• Upvote 1