IGNORED

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

jon_cybernet

In fairness, we haven't added to the discussion for a while. We've covered all the potential  issues and there's nothing new to be said until it launches and we are proved right or wrong.  I think it might be time to give @Anne Summers a break and lay off the repetition.  

39 minutes ago, dumpster said:

In fairness, we haven't added to the discussion for a while. We've covered all the potential  issues and there's nothing new to be said until it launches and we are proved right or wrong.  I think it might be time to give @Anne Summers a break and lay off the repetition.  

'Stop discussing this so we don't hurt anyone's feelings'

14 minutes ago, keineboom said:

'Stop discussing this so we don't hurt anyone's feelings'

Oh do give it a rest, that's not what I mean and you know it. If you have further input then share it , but do we really need more pages about lag, developers being paid, etc? I think all the points have been well made. I'd there is anything new to add it hasn't happened over the last few pages. 

1 minute ago, dumpster said:

I'd there is anything new to add it hasn't happened over the last few pages. 

You must have missed the people giving their opinion of the service having used it on the previous page (depends on your forum settings I guess).

8 minutes ago, partious said:

You must have missed the people giving their opinion of the service having used it on the previous page (depends on your forum settings I guess).

I saw that, they said it was laggy and that. 

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

I saw that, they said it was laggy and that. 

That's relevant feedback and an honest impression isn't it? If somebody else's experience is broadly similar, he or she should be able to post about it without somebody pointing out that it's nothing new because of an earlier post by a different user. It's all informative, both for the devs and for potential subscribers. Especially because lag is the core aspect which would make or break any game streaming service.

Unless they've either defeated the laws of physics or put in some novel lag mitigation, which from the comments from Microsoft are going to involve actually deep plumbing on how games are actually programmed on both the server and client side, then the lag problem will never be solved to an extent which will make this service something enthusiasts will ever embrace.

Doing what Microsoft reference would seem difficult for old existing games and they seem to be using existing emulation software which was never designed for cloud streaming either.

If you want the convenience and legality, this is pretty much your only choice for the vast majority of old games, if you don't care about either of those things, then this product probably isn't for you.

On 10/05/2019 at 19:25, spanky debrest said:

I'd like to wish the team good luck as well - but I can't because in all honesty I think we should be taking a firm stance against it.

It's fucking horrible. Sorry. It needs to die.

This isn't a criticism of the poster specifically, but I think this is a good one to quote to make the point I was trying to put across.  I'm all for debate and critique and personally I don't think Antstream is a product that is aimed at me, I don't think its going to be great, for all the reasons of the previous few pages.  But do we need to keep piling on? Anne Summers is going above and beyond even popping into the debate which isn't even a debate as there's no positives being raised.  But what does it mean to "actively take a firm stance against it"?   I bought a CD the other day and it was shit.  But I can't remember thinking of any consumer product as  " fucking horrible" or thinking a product or service  "deserves to die" .  It's needlessly kicking when it's already down and at this point I don't think there's anything new to add.  If there is, great, add it and let's have a discussion. But we need to be nice.  Its nice to be important but its more important to be nice, and that's a clue to the music CD I mentioned earlier.  God, their latest album.  Awful.  

• 3 weeks later...
50 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Ashen's just confirmed there is no lag on the controls, although he did say the graphics broke up a little.  But that's amazing.  No lag! Well done Antstream!

He stopped playing when the stream started timing out. His verdict: a bit odd and the target audience would be better off playing the games locally.

image.thumb.png.48a3d9574217257ece034fb47a85a55c.png

Rob: Right, all right. But let's just say that I couldn't save my games and I said to you, "It doesn't support saved games yet", what would you think?
Barry: I'd think that you're a gaming idiot and I'd feel sorry for you.
Rob: All right. But from that one sentence, would you think that it was going to support it?
Barry: I'm sorry, Rob. I'm struggling here. You're asking me what would I think if you told me a modern gaming platform didn't support saved games. What am I supposed to say?
Rob: Just listen to me. If I said to you-
Barry: "It doesn't support saved games yet", yes.
Rob: Would you get the impression that it was definitely going to support saved games?
Barry: Oh, uh, well they couldn't have been desperate to support it, otherwise they'd have implemented that feature.
Rob: Right, it's not gonna support it.
Barry:[pause] But the word "yet". Yeah, you know what? I'd get the impression that it was going to support it, otherwise you'd have said it wasn't going to.
Rob: But in your opinion, would it definitely support it?
Barry: How the hell am I supposed to know?! Probably!

15 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

image.thumb.png.48a3d9574217257ece034fb47a85a55c.png

Rob: Right, all right. But let's just say that I couldn't save my games and I said to you, "It doesn't support saved games yet", what would you think?
Barry: I'd think that you're a gaming idiot and I'd feel sorry for you.
Rob: All right. But from that one sentence, would you think that it was going to support it?
Barry: I'm sorry, Rob. I'm struggling here. You're asking me what would I think if you told me a modern gaming platform didn't support saved games. What am I supposed to say?
Rob: Just listen to me. If I said to you-
Barry: "It doesn't support saved games yet", yes.
Rob: Would you get the impression that it was definitely going to support saved games?
Barry: Oh, uh, well they couldn't have been desperate to support it, otherwise they'd have implemented that feature.
Rob: Right, it's not gonna support it.
Barry:[pause] But the word "yet". Yeah, you know what? I'd get the impression that it was going to support it, otherwise you'd have said it wasn't going to.
Rob: But in your opinion, would it definitely support it?
Barry: How the hell am I supposed to know?! Probably!

This post sums up the whole thread. 

Official response from our PR team regarding Mr Biffo's observation that it doesn't currently support saved games:

Thanks for a really fair and balanced review. We're glad that, overall, you are enjoying the service. Save features are coming and are on the roadmap for the team. We have to prioritse early access right now but it is something that the team are working on in the background and will be able to give more time to now that we're in early access :) If you have any more questions or want more in for, please feel free to reach out! And thank you again for such a fair write-up! 
The AntTeam

Anybody who negs this post hereby unconditionally accepts they hand over the rights to any games they may have been involved in creating in the past , or may create in the future, to Antstream Ltd . Additionally they accept that they are a massive smelly poo face who smells of poo.

46 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Anybody who negs this post hereby unconditionally accepts they hand over the rights to any games they may have been involved in creating in the past to Antstream Ltd . Additionally they accept that they are a massive smelly poo face who smells of poo.

Interesting. Not the best attitude. 

12 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Interesting. Not the best attitude. 

Chill out mate. 

We've made a platform designed to bring retro games to a new audience while fairly paying the people who own the rights to those games. Not to summon Beelzebub and bring about armaggedon. If you really hate it (suggesting it "needs to die"? Come on!) can I suggest you just move on with your lives and find something you do enjoy? Honestly, I think you will find it more fulfilling.