jon_cybernet

Antstream - It's Netflix for Games!

It’s a right mess. kinda like buying an old record from a record shop, taking it home to enjoy that vintage feel and authentic music, only when you open it it’s not a record, it’s a voucher for a music streaming website, where you can watch the songs music video online, but at shit quality and with a two second Audio delay. And the music from the sale goes to Mick Hucknell as he once played the song at a concert. 

Then a year later the company remove the song from the website and all you can listen to now is Arianna Grande and Justin Bieber. With lag. And for 8 quid a month. 

• Upvote 3

We've just had confirmation we will be at PlayExpo in Manchester on May 4th - 5th ... Come and experience it for yourselves. Was great fun doing the London event and meeting a bunch of forum people last year. The Manchester one is apparently even bigger, plus comes with added Matthew Smith, so I'm very excited. 

2 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

The Manchester one is apparently even bigger, plus comes with added Matthew Smith, so I'm very excited. 

Out of interest, is Matt one of the creators who benefits like Jeff Minter does?

3 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

We've just had confirmation we will be at PlayExpo in Manchester on May 4th - 5th ... Come and experience it for yourselves. Was great fun doing the London event and meeting a bunch of forum people last year. The Manchester one is apparently even bigger, plus comes with added Matthew Smith, so I'm very excited. 

:lol:

This post reminds me of subredits for games like Destiny, Anthem and Fallout76 where devs go from being really friendly, answering questions and all that until some controversy happens. Then you get lucky if they occasionally come along and posts some pr gumpf or answers some really easy questions in one thread while totally ignoring the legitimate questions and concerns from players questioning the state of the game. 

It never seems to go well when things get to that point.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, strider said:

Out of interest, is Matt one of the creators who benefits like Jeff Minter does?

PM'd, this isn't something I can talk about publicly yet  ;)

8 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

PM'd, this isn't something I can talk about publicly yet  ;)

What about Andrew Braybrook? As his game features prominently on most of your banners etc. Surely he’s getting paid royalties alongside Jeff?

• Upvote 1

11 minutes ago, strider said:

What about Andrew Braybrook? As his game features prominently on most of your banners etc. Surely he’s getting paid royalties alongside Jeff?

any chance of a piece in retrogamer on this :D

(I dont think BRaybrook owns Uridium - it was in a big bundle of HEwson IP that you see on lots of compilations/devices like the Mini64 and the c64 joystick things)

EDIT - here is a tweet braybrook himself replies to saying he doesn't get royalties from TheC64 (mini thing) - he is the first reply I think to that tweet

Jester Interactive had them for a while and seemingly Rebellion might have. But Braybrook indicates it isn't that simple as the Graftgold (hewson) IP went different way.

Don't worry someone is definitely being paid though! :unsure:

AntStream obviously know who they are paying, so maybe they could let Braybrook klnow so he could go and ask for royalties on it? (he may well have royalties due on it depending on his original agreement regardless of who owns them now)

I'm curious about whether this is using open source emulators as the reddit thread posted a few days ago seems to suggest. Which ones?

Does the company contribute anything back to the open source emulator development scene?

Guys, as I have said before - I can't answer every question as we have a dedicated PR department now (unlike when Jon and I first started this thread) and everything we put out is supposed to be cleared by then. 

Hence the "pr gumpf" (as someone put it) type replies. I'll continue to use this thread to share news (such as PlayExpo) and will answer questions when I know I can give out the information without risking getting into trouble with the team. Sorry if some of you don't like that, but I don't really have any other choice, other than to delete the thread, which I really don't want to do. 

I am not a spokesperson for the company, and any opinions I express really should be taken as my own, as a long-standing member of this forum. I hope you understand. 

Having said that - when questions are put out that don't seem to have been answered, I will seek to get an answer cleared for release. This may take time, and there may be some information we decide to keep confidential until at least the time we release Antstream to the public. Again, I hope you can be understanding about this, it's really just standard company practice. 

11 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

I am not a spokesperson for the company, 

Ah, the Lee Fogarty defence. ;)

• Upvote 2

Some questions are being answered (?) at the comments section of the kickstarter. 

https://www.kickstarter.com/projects/234135283/antstream-retro-gaming-reborn/comments

This is just oddly formulated for example:

Online multiplayer is something we are looking at, although we can't say if it will be for launch or not, however we do understand there is likely to be demand for it and the team have got it on their to-do list. So yes, it's on there but not right away. Hope this helps.

As for the emulation, the closest to an answer I've seen so far is:

Q: There's no mention of implementation, but I'm assuming these games are emulated - would like more info here on what to expect. MS's Game Room ended up being deficient in some ways (for example, Iron Horse had no music).

A: We can’t go into specifics around the technology due to licensing agreements, but the platform can support a range of technology to give you the best possible experience, and the team are wizards at what they do so the experience is not deficient in any way.

Clear? 

48 minutes ago, MidWalian said:

Clear? 

Yeah there's no online multiplayer and they don't want to say they are using off the shelf emulation.  What sort of licensing agreement would be secret?  If someone licenced my tech I would tell the world so more people would license it.

• Upvote 3

9 minutes ago, JPickford said:

Yeah there's no online multiplayer and they don't want to say they are using off the shelf emulation.  What sort of licensing agreement would be secret?  If someone licenced my tech I would tell the world so more people would license it.

Just to clarify, there will be online multiplayer but it won't be ready for launch. 

3 minutes ago, Anne Summers said:

Just to clarify, there will be online multiplayer but it won't be ready for launch. 

So what's changed in the last day (since the Kickstarter answer was posted, where your team couldn't say if it would be ready for launch or not)?

4 minutes ago, dave7g said:

How much will it be per month, and will there be a free trial?

According to our Kickstarter it will be $10 per month. I don't know how that will translate to £, sorry. 

And I don't know if there will be a free trial - no plans as far as I know at present. 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, catinthehat said:

So what's changed in the last day (since the Kickstarter answer was posted, where your team couldn't say if it would be ready for launch or not)?

Sorry, let me give a more PR-ish answer - it MAY not be ready at launch ;)

Just now, Anne Summers said:

According to our Kickstarter it will be $10 per month. I don't know how that will translate to £, sorry. 

And I don't know if there will be a free trial - no plans as far as I know at present. 

Cool thanks. Worth a punt at a tenner.

• Upvote 1

I just noticed this on the comments on the Kickstarter:

Another one we think people will love is boss rushes - take on all the bosses in classic games one after the other.

How does something like that work in practice, because that makes it sound like you've programmed the above as a mode

Edited by Gabe
Should've been a quote, not a spoiler.

2 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hide contents

Another one we think people will love is boss rushes - take on all the bosses in classic games one after the other.

How does something like that work in practice, because that makes it sound like you've programmed the above as a mode?

They are challenges which you launch from within the client. For example, when you choose to play a game, you can choose between playing the original unaltered game, or one of the challenges, like a survival mode, score attack mode, or as that line states, a boss rush, where you take on all of the bosses one after the other. There are global leaderboards for these so you can compare your score against everyone else who plays them. They're also multiplayer (asynchronously) - so you can send a challenge to a friend, with the winner receiving an amount of gems. Gems can be used to unlock more challenges within games. (And no before someone asks, you can't buy gems with real money, there aren't micro-transactions, you have to play games to win them). 

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, Gabe said:

Hide contents

How does something like that work in practice, because that makes it sound like you've programmed the above as a mode?

Just load save states for the next boss after each boss.

• Upvote 1

1 minute ago, Mrs Horribleman said:

They need to persist the score so something else would need to be done. 

Pretty easy to do though. And it’s likely it’s a time, not a score, and that’s trivial.

A more pertinent question is who in their right mind has ever loved a boss rush to the point that they've ended up thinking "I know what'd be a great idea, more boss rushes!". Madness. 

• Upvote 1

41 minutes ago, deKay said:

Pretty easy to do though. And it’s likely it’s a time, not a score, and that’s trivial.

We can do either!

And a whole load more, in fact we're taking suggestions for types of challenges people would like to see on our Facebook and Discord.