rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Nick R

Marvel's Black Widow solo movie

Time for its own thread!

The assignment of a writer (Jac Schaeffer) was reported in January - but given the number of scripts Marvel Studios are said to have commissioned and had on file for years, that didn't necessarily mean a movie would happen soon.

It still doesn't sound like it's been officially greenlit yet, but it looks like it now has a director.

https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/heat-vision/black-widow-movie-be-directed-by-cate-shortland-1126708

Cate Shortland, the Australian filmmaker perhaps best known for the Nazi drama Lore, has signed on to helm Black Widow, Marvel’s action-adventure project that will star Scarlett Johansson.

The move caps off a search that lasted over half a year as the studio met with over 70 directors in order to find its ideal candidate. A female filmmaker was the priority even as the search stalled at one point and the studio looked at male helmers.

The hunt narrowed in June with Amma Asante (Belle, A United Kingdom) and Maggie Betts (Novitiate) being the finalists alongside Shortland. Melanie Laurent (Galveston) and Kimberly Peirce (Boys Don't Cry) were also in the next-to-final mix.

• Upvote 2

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Who cares?

People who click on a thread entitled Marvel's Black Widow Solo Movie and also take the time to post a reply? 

• Upvote 3

Ive seen lots of people before say theyd like to know what "Budapest" was about. Although that would likely be a team up film rather than a solo I guess.

CJLfElwXAAAQ9_j.png

4 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

I meant who really cares about Black Widow? She's window dressing really.

You mean widow dressing presumably?  Because the alternative makes you sound like judgemental  ass who hasn't watched or understood some brilliant bits of character work in those movies.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 3

I'm all for it, but it's weird how this movie seems to be taking shape by force of will, rather than being a definite, announced project. Has Marvel even confirmed it's being made? Feige's always been like "I dunno maybe LOL" when asked about it. Then again, maybe seeing if there's anything in it first might be a good decision, rather than setting a release date then trying to come up with a movie.

I'm not sure a Black Widow movie has anything interesting to tell though, don't we know all we need to at this point?  Her antics over Rub and Tug don't leave me wanting more ScarJo either, showed her true colors there. I'm sure there's plenty of female driven movies Marvel can pump out that are more worthy :) 

Give me a Tessa Thompson solo movie any day though. 

What antics?  Reading about that, it seems she took a role, was criticised for it, so she stepped away from the role and apologised.  Is there more to it?

On 14/07/2018 at 11:00, Bucky said:

You mean widow dressing presumably?  Because the alternative makes you sound like judgemental  ass who hasn't watched or understood some brilliant bits of character work in those movies.

I always felt she’s only really given prominence by virtue of her being played by Johannsen and because the Marvel films have otherwise inexplicably had no female leads until Cpt. Marvel. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, b00dles said:

After his previous turn as a CIA/ KGB triple crossing agent in indy 4, it can only go well. 

Jonesy! Fuck that film. Fuck it to the moon. Only good bit was getting to hear the theme in Dolby.

Won't embed for some reason, but here's Adam & Joe admiring his work in Fools Gold: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CIxQFUV_AcA.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, mansizerooster said:

This movie just got a lot more interesting. What's your source?

Its made me more interested as well. I love Taskmaster as a villain.

The costume looks shite but you can see the stylised skull and he's wearing a hood, and you can see it's gone for a bit of a mix up of a modern take on his classic look and the Udon look.