IGNORED

My Gamecube prediction

blue swIIrl

What a thoroughly fucking pointless thread this has descended into.

Sadly, yes it has. Ah well, c'est la vie.

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't trying to say that the GameCube is dying, or that I hate the GC (it is infact the only current gen machine I own). I was just trying to say that I think that GC will be the machine of choice when the next gen arrives. Thats it. Like the Dreamcast today. (Although, yes, it is arguable which generation the DC belongs to.)

Back to the drawing board.

Just to set the record straight, I wasn't trying to say that the GameCube is dying, or that I hate the GC (it is infact the only current gen machine I own).

Looking back at the start of this thread, you repeatedly stated that the Gamecube is an unpopular machine. You'll forgive people for calling "bullshit" on this point, as it is bullshit.

As for Gamecube being the next DC, well it won't be. Xbox is the next DC clearly :wub:

The X-Box has never been cool, l doubt it ever will. Its the geeky machine really.

The PS2 is for the townies out there.

The GC is the strange but artistic kid who never grew up.

all of these are assumptions of course

So there are quite a few strange, geeky, artistic, towny kids who never grew up on the forum? :wub:

Everyone seems to forget that the Dreamcast did well enough, at least initially, to be considered a relatively successful machine...

Except that SEGA were already so far in debt, they needed it to be a success of Playstation proportions to really make any difference in their ever- deepening financial crisis.

And then the PS2 launched, and things went from bad to worse, at least commercially (how a machine can be labelled a "failure" when it brought us Shenmue, PSO, Sonic Adventure, Resi C:V, ChuChu, MSR, Soul Calibur etc is beyond me).

Had SEGA been in Nintendo's position though, with a sideline of booming handheald console revenue, it's unlikely things would have gone quite so wrong, quite so quickly as they did.

to be honest none of the consoles are any cop compared to the DC or N64

Funny you should say that, because my memory of when the N64 was a current console, was people bitching about it as much as people do now about the Gamecube. In all honesty the N64 was a decent console, shackled by a lack of quality releases outside of what Nintendo released and the increasingly poor Rare games. The games were way too expensive due to the cart format, and the few ports to it (and there were few because with the PS having 650Mb of storage was the standard now) were generally of poor quality. Also the graphics, although advertised at the time of released as being "amazingly life like" were in fact dull and grainy. Plus to play one of the best games on the console (Majora's Mask) you had to buy a $30 memory upgrade module as well as paying $60 for the game. Of course you got the memory module for free if you bought the (shite) Donkey Kong 64.

The DC was a machine which was notoriously unreliable, with a slow noisy disc drive. Most of the "classic" games for it were marmite games (Shenmue, JSR, Skies are all games which people Love or Hate in equal measure). It was cut off in its prime thats for sure, but thats OK because if they released any more games for it everyone's GD-ROM drives would have worn out within another year of its life and Sega would be facing a huge class action lawsuit in the US for selling such a defective product.

This may sound over the top, but the point I'm trying to make is you're viewing those consoles through Rose tinted spectacles.

EDIT: For the record I currently own and play on a lot, my DC and N64. :wub:

Guest PupponVesh

Blue swirl is correct.

Gamecube is great, but is underperforming, just like Dreamcast.

Plus it lacks third-party support, something the Xbox and PS2 do not.

There was a 'cube version of our game. It sold far worse than the other versions (Xbox, PS2), so when it came to evaluating formats for our next title, Gamecube wasn't even considered.

Sega had a shit business model that would never generate any revenue. The console lacked third party support and games that could actually sell the machine to the masses.

Nintendo has a profit making business model and does generate lots of cash from both the GameCube and the GameBoy. While lacking many third party titles, the big ones still seem to make it over, and Nintendo's games still generate high sales.

Nintendo are not a force to "fight" Sony, but they are still however a profit making company with respectable hardware sales.

Thats the long and short of it, really.

Gamecube is great, but is underperforming, just like Dreamcast.

Well Soul Calibur 2 and Viewtiful Joe both sold well, as did a whole raft of Sega games, so it's not all bad for GC in terms of 3rd party support.

There was a 'cube version of our game. It sold far worse than the other versions (Xbox, PS2), so when it came to evaluating formats for our next title, Gamecube wasn't even considered.

If you don't mind me asking, what game was this?

I do wonder where this perception comes from.

Xbox: Multiformat titles, 1st party stuff, extremely rare exclusives.

GC: Multiformat titles, 1st party stuff, extremely rare exclusives.

And in the general case, dropping a game from certain platforms (when successful multiplatform titles plainly do exist) says more about the game than the platform.

I do wonder where this perception comes from.

People are reacting to the loss of those amazing Midway and Acclaim games that have been canned for the GC.

Meanwhile I'm currently enjoying a rather marvellous game for the Gamecube called "Beyond Good and Evil", a third party multiformat title at that. Imagine :wub:

The sales of Soul Calibur 2 show that GC can have good third party multiformat sales, especially when the game is good and has some added value for the GC (i.e. link).

Looking back at the start of this thread, you repeatedly stated that the Gamecube is an unpopular machine. You'll forgive people for calling "bullshit" on this point, as it is bullshit.

Sorry, I think I was using the wrong word. The impression I get in the outside world and sometimes in this forum is that the Gamecube is an uncool machine (the word my brain was desperately trying to find, instead of unpopular.)

You'll have to forgive my lack of English skills, I haven't done English since I was sixteen. :rolleyes:

My post previous to this one (tries to) clear up what I was originally trying to say. I'm sorry if anyone took it the wrong way and I pissed them off. ;)

Guest PupponVesh
Well Soul Calibur 2 and Viewtiful Joe both sold well, as did a whole raft of Sega games, so it's not all bad for GC in terms of 3rd party support.

If you don't mind me asking, what game was this?

Firstly, I won't reveal what game I worked on because 1) the thread would probably turn into a "that game sucks anyway" thread and 2) I didn't actually work on it (I joined as it was being released).

The point I'm trying to make is that the Playstation 2's success is largely down to the fact that there is a lot of choice, which consumers seem to prefer. It's also cheaper for the consumer as a result of the competitiveness.

The game which we made was, by this forum's (and my own) opinion, average. It had a license attached. But it's games like these that form the perception of choice for the consumer. If a consumer is drawn to a format by GTA, Halo, Zelda, whatever, then they'd also like to have more options when it came to buying more games.

Gamecube is also hindered by the fact that it's positioned inbetween the Xbox and PS2 tecnically. The art side is usually molded around the Xbox specifications, and then optimised/downsized in the code for PS2 specifications. PS2 is usually lead in the code area. When it comes to a GC version there can be an imbalance.

Don't think I have a vendetta against the Gamecube. If it were my choice I'd like to work on Nintendo hardware more so than the others, but it's too difficult to get the backing.

Firstly, I won't reveal what game I worked on because 1) the thread would probably turn into a "that game sucks anyway" thread and 2) I didn't actually work on it (I joined as it was being released).

The point I'm trying to make is that the Playstation 2's success is largely down to the fact that there is a lot of choice, which consumers seem to prefer. It's also cheaper for the consumer as a result of the competitiveness.

The game which we made was, by this forum's (and my own) opinion, average. It had a license attached. But it's games like these that form the perception of choice for the consumer. If a consumer is drawn to a format by GTA, Halo, Zelda, whatever, then they'd also like to have more options when it came to buying more games.

Gamecube is also hindered by the fact that it's positioned inbetween the Xbox and PS2 tecnically. The art side is usually molded around the Xbox specifications, and then optimised/downsized in the code for PS2 specifications. PS2 is usually lead in the code area. When it comes to a GC version there can be an imbalance.

Don't think I have a vendetta against the Gamecube. If it were my choice I'd like to work on Nintendo hardware more so than the others, but it's too difficult to get the backing.

I think you should credit us with a little more politeness, we don't tell the Pickfords their games suck after all ;)

Anyway - coding for the PS2 is a no brainer, but what you don't address is why you think your game will sell on Xbox but not GC, which is the more interesting point as far as I'm concerned.

My personal opinion is that GC owners tend to buy more exclusive titles. Sales certainly bear this out. A rampant fanboy would say that GC owners have "better taste" than Xbox owners, but this is bullshit. More likely is that the GC is mainly a 2nd console, and there are alot of people like me for example, who buys games like SSX3 on the PS2 rather than the GC.

My personal opinion is that GC owners tend to buy more exclusive titles. Sales certainly bear this out.

That's certainly true. Looking at my GC collection, its all exclusives, except Soul Calibur II. 10 out of the 11 games I own are exclusive to the console. And I've got FF:CC on the way, making it 11/12.

That's certainly true. Looking at my GC collection, its all exclusives, except Soul Calibur II. 10 out of the 11 games I own are exclusive to the console. And I've got FF:CC on the way, making it 11/12.

I have a few more, but most of them were picked up on the cheap. Tiger Woods 2003 ($20), Beyond Good and Evil ($20), Harry Potter and the Chamber of Secrets ($12) and Crash Bandicoot (I'm embarrased to say as its crap - but at least it was only $10). Oh and Soul Calibur II. So that's 5 out of 18 games, 6 if you count the Sonic Mega Collection as "multiplatform" which I guess it is really.

All of my GC games are exclusive apart from Prince of Persia and Splinter Cell. Will get Soul Calibur II at some stage mind.

From memory thats Super Mario Sunshine, Super Monkey Ball, Animal Crossing, Metroid Prime, Zelda TWW, Zelda OoT, Wave Race Blue Storm, Viewtiful Joe,

F-Zero GX, Mario Kart DD, Skies of Arcadia and 1080 Avalanche.

So thats 12 exclusives out of 14.

Looking at the list though thats a pretty marvelous mix of games. Remember Freeloader too is a really useful piece of software. 3 of my GC games are US imports and one is Japanese.

What makes me laugh (well ironically chuckle) is that 90% of the mainstream in the UK have missed out on all of these games.

Skies of Arcadia isn't really exclusive for GC though is it? I know there's some "extra content", but not enough to warrant calling it a platform exclusive.

Sorry to be pedantic :lol:

Its a fair point. I was thinking that the next four games I'm thinking of getting (FF:CC, MGS:TS, Resi 1, and Ikaruga) are all also exclusives. ;)

However, do Twin Snakes and Resi count, as they are remakes? I spose you can argue either way.

How is it cheaper?

Are you saying the GC version of your game was technically the worst?

I understand you not wanting to give the name of the game out but can you give the genre and rough sales figures across the 3 consoles? Did all 3 versions of the game come out at the same time? What would you consider breakeven sales for the GC version?

Its a fair point. I was thinking that the next four games I'm thinking of getting (FF:CC, MGS:TS, Resi 1, and Ikaruga) are all also exclusives. :angry:

However, do Twin Snakes and Resi count, as they are remakes? I spose you can argue either way.

Well Ikaruga certainly doesn't count! Apart from I guess the fact that it's not available on DC outside Japan.

As you'll see above in my post, there's plenty of bargains to be had on the GC too.

I've no doubt, but given the ridiculous size of the PS2 library, there will always be more bargains available on that platform. When franchises play against each other for sales, prices go dippidy doo dah down.

In software terms, it is cheaper. Bargains to be had everywhere.

In the sales, the GC versions of multiformat titles seem to be cheaper then the other two formats ... in fact, in HMV's sale, there are a lot more GC and Xbox games than PS2 ones.