Down by Law

Neill Blomkamps..... ROBOCOP!

Providing I can bleach the memory of Chappie from my memory, I'm actually really hyped for this. They've got the original writers on board, so that should hopefully stop things like random exposed hands being used.

Yeah, fingers crossed that this delivers.

Two thoughts: thank god its not a sequel to that terrible 2014 remake and just interesting thinking about Blomkamp used extreme Robocop-style violence in parts of District 9. I'm comparing the amazing bloodpack explosions in Robocop that have some analogues in D9.

• Upvote 4

45 minutes ago, Robo_1 said:

Providing I can bleach the memory of Elysium from my memory, I'm actually really hyped for this.

FTFY. :coffee:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 2

Elysium and Chappie were amazing looking films, but the scripts let them down. 

2.png

What a prop. I don't even think they built a prop Ed209 for the remake..all CGI!

517484375_1280x720.jpg

Cherry blossom gantry ... spectacular Syd Mead brought to life!

• Upvote 5

I kinda wish he’d continue on his previous trajectory of doing original genre films with low budgets and high production values, with the exception that he gets someone else to write them. He doesn’t seem suited to either working with studios, or crafting coherent stories. Much as I loved Elysium, it needed a bit more time in the oven, and Chappie was a fucking disaster. 

It’s a bit annoying that he keeps on trying to follow on from directors like Paul Verhoeven and James Cameron because he’s neither of those directors, and doesn’t have their skill set. He does have his own skills, he just needs to find the concept that’ll let him fully exercise them. I doubt another crack at a Robocop sequel thirty years after the fact will do the trick.

• Upvote 6

Blomkamp has one good film to his name, so forgive my lack of excitement. High-handedly supplanting any sequels he doesn't like with his own "canon" is a really irritating characteristic as well.

The guy has been making YouTube shorts for the past 2 years, he's got a great team and work rate and at least has passion in his projects, whatever the budget. To me this is the perfect pairing of man and material. The guy got the short shrift on Halo and his Aliens project so I'm really pleased for him to get a crack at a classic franchise. With a good script from the original writers and Blomkamps insane near future tech aesthetic I can't wait to see what he comes up with. 

• Upvote 1

I've not cared for what I've seen of his shorts. He makes rather good special effects showcases but the stories I've seen outside District 9 weren't particularly strong. Definitely a filmmaker in need of a good writer, which is hopefully what he'll get here.

1 minute ago, Down by Law said:

The guy got the short shrift on his Aliens project

That looked like it was going to be Aliens fan fiction with a budget, frankly. Not that Scott is doing better himself these days.

I'm as critical of Blomkamps work post DS9 as anyone, but I still think he has potential to produce something great if he directs or does visuals and leaves the script to someone else.

That said he did write DS9 and that's great. But Elysium is poop and apparently so is Chappie and he wrote the former nd co-wrote the latter.

I dunno .

• Upvote 1

Well the script is apparently the original Robocop 2 draft before Frank Miller got involved. With Trump as President I have high expectations for satire... and with Blomkamp insane body horror.. Some of that District 9 stuff was horrific (ergo awesome) 

That monster even on a YouTube budget.. Holy shit

• Upvote 3

18 minutes ago, Smitty said:

I'm as critical of Blomkamps work post DS9 as anyone, but I still think he has potential to produce something great if he directs or does visuals and leaves the script to someone else.

That said he did write DS9 and that's great. But Elysium is poop and apparently so is Chappie and he wrote the former nd co-wrote the latter.

I dunno .

I'm cautiously optimistic. Then again- whisper it- I didn't hate RoboCop 2014 either.

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

26 minutes ago, DeciderVT said:

I'm cautiously optimistic. Then again- whisper it- I didn't hate RoboCop 2014 either.

good lord 

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1
  • Empathy 2

This was nice to read after the footy. When District 9 came out I thought that Blomkamp would be the next Verhoeven. Hopefully he will get to keep the ultra violence. 

• Upvote 1

Can't wait. 

Blomkamp can redeem himself twice here,  wiping our memories of both chappie and the shite robocop remake. Combooooo

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Down by Law said:

I don't even think they built a prop Ed209 for the remake..all CGI!

Horrible. So sad.

13 hours ago, Smitty said:

I dunno .

D5752EED-EE1D-402A-A0F1-E2146AFD10BF.jpeg

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

There were two or three good bits in the 2014 Robocop – the body horror bit where we see how little of Murphy is left, the Tehran sequence at the start and another bit I’ve forgotten – and the rest is just so bland I can barely remember it. Comparing it to the original is like comparing a shot of tequila to a pint of Slimfast. Even Detroit looked as bland and unthreatening as Vancouver.

I would imagine that a Blomkamp version of Robocop will at least be memorable (although I’d have said that the director of Elite Force would at least be able to make a memorable version of Robocop too), but the whole idea of making a sequel just feels like the same breed of eighties hero-worship that led him to that Aliens remakequel. I know the economics of filmmaking would make it difficult, but I wish he’d make something with the impact and ethos of Robocop without actually being a decades-later sequel with a reheated thirty year old script. He’s already made two extremely political sci-fi action movies with Elysium and District 9, he’s definitely got another one in him.

• Upvote 6