JohnC

Extinction - Michael Peña sci-fi

Another former studio theatrical movie bought by Netflix, this time from Universal. Michael Peña stars as an ordinary working class guy who has recurring nightmares about mass destruction, and the loss of his family, by an unknown force. Everyone tells him it's just in his head, until an alien invasion begins. Also stars Lizzy Caplan and Mike Colter. Comes to Netflix on 27 July.

27 minutes ago, jonamok said:

Except this looks a bit shit. So more like the Cloverfield Paradox.

I meant in terms of it being a theatrical release which only ended up getting that in the US before released exclusively on Netflix elsewhere. Annihilation was very unusual like that.

I actually quite liked Cloverfield Paradox. Couldn’t give a shit about the Cloverfirld universe, but the film was decent enough. 

• Upvote 1

Why are they buying up shit films? Do their 'metrics' show that the potential viewership is worth losing the critical cachet they had been trying to build up through their Netflix Originals?

Because they have an insatiable desire for new exclusive content, and their all-seeing eye tells them there is an audience for a lot of stuff that the critics don't like.

There was a really interesting article in the Economist recently talking about Netflix, an example given being some shit teenage romantic comedy which had been watched by ~20 Million households or something like that IIRC.

Actually here is the article itself:

https://www.economist.com/briefing/2018/06/28/netflix-is-moving-television-beyond-time-slots-and-national-markets

Watched this yesterday, as I quite like that dude in Antman. My god it’s awful. Cheesy, cliche and badly thought through. It thinks it’s timely and smart, but the twist really just creates story problems, rather making anything more interesting.

short version: don’t bother.

Almost gave up halfway through it, then the bf read somewhere that it's supposed to be surprisingly good later on and we continued, only to regret it later on. It's a pile of trash :lol:

• Upvote 1

I just switched off and enjoyed a couple of drinks while watching. Must have switched off a bit too much though, as I didn't have a fucking clue what was going on by the end of it. 

Still quite enjoyed the ride though.