rllmuk
Cyhwuhx

Dead Cells - Out now! - The Dark Souls of Rogue-lite/Rogue Legacy-like metroidvania-ishes

5 minutes ago, NickC said:

I really want the wall jump/climb upgrade. Am I right in thinking that I need to basically kill

Hide contents

Conjunctivitus (or whatever he was called)

?

Because I got to that boss last night and I don't have a clue how to kill him.

Any tips here on getting that upgrade and killing that boss (if I need to) are greatly appreciated.

PS: I can't parry for fuck so shields are out!

Which path/level is this boss? I just unlocked the ground stomp.

30 minutes ago, Hellcock said:

Which path/level is this boss? I just unlocked the ground stomp.

Spoiler

Toxic sewers > Ancient sewers > Insufferable Crypt.

Got the ground stomp too. Now I want to climb :)

55 minutes ago, NickC said:

I really want the wall jump/climb upgrade. Am I right in thinking that I need to basically kill

Reveal hidden contents

?

Any tips here on getting that upgrade and killing that boss (if I need to) are greatly appreciated.

I got to him once and he is indeed a bastard. Apparently, a decent bow is essential - I only had melee weapons and found it really difficult to cause him any proper damage without getting hit loads. I lasted a while but didn't even get him down below half health. And yes, you are correct about the wall jump rune.

I love how the gold 'L' versions of weapons are ace but give you nasty damage modifiers. I was rocking a couple of golds last night which gave me a 2 x skull above my head, and every time I got hit I basically lost 400 HP! Then I managed to land in some spikes and they took nearly 1,000 off me! And those bloody mushroom things in the Old Sewers are a pain in the arse. Easy to kill when you know they're there, but their attack tends to come as a surprise to me as I'm usually busy with something else, so I panic. EDIT: Just read the tip about reforging golds to get rid of the damage modifiers. Great idea!

Anyway, this game is beyond addictive. This must have to do with how lovely it feels to control. Everything is extremely repetitive which would usually put me off, but somehow with that lovely gameplay loop and the small feeling of progression as you get new blueprints, new abilities, access new areas and unlock stuff with cells, it doesn't matter.

• Upvote 2

You definitely don't need a bow for him, ice grenade to halt his movement then kick fuck out of him worked for me as I recall. His health seemed to go down pretty fast compared to other bosses once you can actually land hits on him.

I only saw him that one time, does anyone know if he 'respawns'? I coud've sworn I took that same route afterwards but just went straight to the clock room. Maybe I missed an exit somewhere.

• Upvote 1

This is tremendous, but the bosses seem like a weak link. I've only done one, but he was very dull to fight - a pure damage sponge who marches back and forth on a flat plane, where victory seems dependent on getting a good drop. It would be great if they disappeared once defeated, like in Dark Souls - the meat of the game is traversing the actual levels and managing the enemy mobs.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, NickC said:

Reveal hidden contents

?

It's a longer fight than the other bosses because it's difficult to damage. Traps aren't as useful as in other places, but you can still wolf trap him and the barnacle in particular is useful for steady damage. Good bows are obviously useful.

Where you're actually likely to take most damage though is in the phase with the tentacles. A wolf trap can be good again here, and frost blast also helps.

Being patient and learning to dodge his attacks is probably the best advice really. Accept it'll take a while and look out for the advanced warning on his main ram and AOE attacks.

• Upvote 1

15 hours ago, Hellcock said:

Recommendations for a decent build? 

I found frost blast, wolf trap and then some form of a turret to be quite effective but found the turret will unfreeze enemies pretty fast.

Choose one stat and pump most of your scrolls into it (use the other two for health). Try to get at least one colourless item. Death Orb (this is insane) and cleaver are very effective if you get the DPS high enough, as well as the wolf trap and turret/crossbomatic as the tried and tested. Weapon slots is down to preference.

Basically Death Orb everything.

3 hours ago, Dark Soldier said:

Choose one stat and pump most of your scrolls into it (use the other two for health). Try to get at least one colourless item. Death Orb (this is insane) and cleaver are very effective if you get the DPS high enough, as well as the wolf trap and turret/crossbomatic as the tried and tested. Weapon slots is down to preference.

Basically Death Orb everything.

I don't understand what you mean sir. Choose one stat meaning one colour? Green/purple/red? If using the other two for health aren't I just using all 3 anyway.

Colourless items. These are random drops? Or can I do something to make them drop more frequently?

You need to put a few scrolls into each colour to get decent HP. But you should put most into one stat to maximise damage. So you might focus on purple and end up with 4/15/4 or whatever. The +30% health mutation is always useful if you need a bit more HP.

I think you get colourless items from bosses, but also from random drops.

22 hours ago, NickC said:

Reveal hidden contents

?

Yes, you need to kill it.

Then the drop you’re looking for is unmissable behind an elite on the next level.

• Upvote 2

Killed that boss last night. As expected, I just needed a weapon that could be fired from distance, and even though the lightning I had didn't have amazing range, it was enough. Very nearly died, though. And in the next level, I got the rune which has opened up new paths. Finally opened those 3 locks on the Promenade of the Condemned, too!

There's an enemy on later levels which has a blue sword and swipes left and then right and then left again, so you get hit even if you roll past to attack from the back as you would do with most other baddies. Is there an easy way to deal with these? It seems like I have to lay traps rather than engage them, but I'm trying to get used to taking on the harder enemies so that I can handle myself in situations where my traps are recovering.

Those bloody mushroom things in the Old Sewers certainly keep you moving, eh? They're very clever design - just I was totally used to popping up and laying my crossbow  / magnetic grenade combo to wipe enemies out and rarely getting my hands dirty, the spikes that the mushrooms generate mean you have to get on the front foot and move up/down to take them out quickly, usually in a place where there are multiple enemies near the mushroom!

I massively failed with the Hunter's Grenade. Not enough HP on the second level!

With quite a lot of enemies in later stages it's not advisable to just attack them with a melee weapon, even from behind. Freezing is always good. Or softening them up with missile weapons and status effects first, before delivering the last couple of hits. There's always parrying if you're using shields, but I've never really got the hang of that.

12 minutes ago, BadgerFarmer said:

There's always parrying if you're using shields, but I've never really got the hang of that.

Maybe I should try using shields a bit.

I beat that boss! And got the wall climb.

I am the best :D

WTF is this

Spoiler

Forgotten Sepulcher

bullshit though?!

LOVE THIS GAME.

On 21/08/2018 at 10:36, Eighthours said:

I got to him once and he is indeed a bastard. Apparently, a decent bow is essential - I only had melee weapons and found it really difficult to cause him any proper damage without getting hit loads. I lasted a while but didn't even get him down below half health. And yes, you are correct about the wall jump rune.

I love how the gold 'L' versions of weapons are ace but give you nasty damage modifiers. I was rocking a couple of golds last night which gave me a 2 x skull above my head, and every time I got hit I basically lost 400 HP! Then I managed to land in some spikes and they took nearly 1,000 off me! And those bloody mushroom things in the Old Sewers are a pain in the arse. Easy to kill when you know they're there, but their attack tends to come as a surprise to me as I'm usually busy with something else, so I panic. EDIT: Just read the tip about reforging golds to get rid of the damage modifiers. Great idea!

Anyway, this game is beyond addictive. This must have to do with how lovely it feels to control. Everything is extremely repetitive which would usually put me off, but somehow with that lovely gameplay loop and the small feeling of progression as you get new blueprints, new abilities, access new areas and unlock stuff with cells, it doesn't matter.

The mushrooms should have their range nerfed. I generally love the enemy design in this game, especially how one on one every enemy is perfectly manageable, but certain combinations of enemies require quick thinking (and no game punishes inattentiveness as much as this!), but the staggering damage output of those mushrooms coupled with its attack teleporting beneath your feet significantly off screen seems vindictive.

On 21/08/2018 at 09:50, Hellcock said:

Recommendations for a decent build? 

I found frost blast, wolf trap and then some form of a turret to be quite effective but found the turret will unfreeze enemies pretty fast.

Depends on what weapons you favour. For me, the Marksman bow is the best weapon bar none, for being able to kill in one long shot. There is also some tracking between levels on this weapon, so both these things let you kill most enemies without them even engaging you.

When I say survival build, I mean most points into green and then supplement my bow with grenades, traps and melee weapon that scales with green.

Just got an OP pendant from an elite - turn invisible after not attacking for 5 secs. Enemies cannot see you at all! Next attack does +150%.

• Empathy 1

How do you progress in this game? I'll admit I've never played a rogue-like game before but all I've done in the first couple of hours is explore the same area (albeit generated differently) and either die or loop back to the same area again. I think I've got a couple of blueprints (is that what's in the glass jar?) but upon starting again I can't seem to use them, and have to start with the same shitty weapons.

The blueprints unlock new weapons which turn up in the game as pickups. There are also a couple of things you can purchase with orbs that give you random start equipment from your unlocked items, which then makes the start more varied. Basically as long as you're collecting and spending orbs you're making some degree of progress. A word of caution here though - with hindsight I might not have unlocked a few of the items I have, because it makes the chances of getting my favourite things a bit lower (I've had runs where all my item pickups were grenades, whereas I much prefer having turrets and traps.) Once you start beating bosses, you can also start improving the quality of the item drops, which can help a lot.

When you start getting in to later areas there are the runes to collect that are permanent, and let you access new areas. Other than that progress is about you getting better at the game until you can beat it. (I haven't got good enough yet, FWIW, but I'm slowly getting there).

1 hour ago, DC said:

Just got an OP pendant from an elite - turn invisible after not attacking for 5 secs. Enemies cannot see you at all! Next attack does +150%.

Woah! Combined with a decent bow, deadly.

I love how when I get an OP weapon in this, my first thought to myself is "Don't die, you fool!"

• Upvote 2

My progress is slow as I'm shit but I'd like to know where you gain the tomb and wall jump skills. Also, I see some chinese style signs on the floor in places. Do they do anything and if so what and how?

Cheers.

Each one leads to the next, basically.

Once you've got the vine rune you can access the sewers from the first level. There you'll find the next rune, which will enable you to reach another. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Pug said:

I've had the vine rune for yonks, will have to be more observant.

I missed it the first time as well. In the sewers you might have met

Spoiler

a character trapped behind some bars that you can talk to. He asks you to find his rune. 

• Upvote 1