rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

36 minutes ago, glb said:

No arrogance was meant. If I was being arrogant I'd have said something obnoxious, like, 'haha, look at all you fucking idiots enjoying this garbage, not like me, I like Spanish films about Civil War and ghosts and shit cos I'm mad clever'. But I'm not. I'm not really clever at all, and the last Spanish film I watched was The Orphanage a decade ago (it's really good). But to over-stress a point, I actually enjoy Rise, even though it's not very good.

This was my point though that I took issue with calling something so subjective as a film as “objectively bad” is somewhat maddening and I don’t think very fair. 

Related to your other points, I don’t agree with a lot of them or even most of them and it’s quite easy to point out why from my perspective and this is why it’s all so subjective. But it’s fine you think one way and myself the other. It’s not objective. 

Some times mechanics matter, sometimes they don’t, sometimes something as seemingly solid as part of the films structure can be totally misinterpreted like... perhaps I did, regarding Kerrang’s example on the film Downsizing. I actually never though of the two halves of the film working like that and it’s an interesting point, and cool discussion... even though I still feel that film is way too much of a juxtaposition for me. 

• Upvote 1

On 10/01/2020 at 12:00, Broker said:

I’ve not even bothered to mentioned the fact that he is related to Francis Ford Coppola

Are they related?  I’ve never heard that before.

I also really like Kermode's response to it. That’s what films are about to me, it’s about how they make you feel, not about totally superfluous nitpicks that ultimately don’t matter. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 4
  • Empathy 1

finally watched this last night. I liked it. best bit for me was when you knew the final order were fucked because

Lando bought the galaxy's best pilot, Wedge Antilles, back with him. Poe Dameron can fuck off, the daddy, the only man with two death stars on the kill list on his X-Wing is back!

• Upvote 7

2 hours ago, sir podger said:

finally watched this last night. I liked it. best bit for me was when you knew the final order were fucked because

Hide contents

Lando bought the galaxy's best pilot, Wedge Antilles, back with him. Poe Dameron can fuck off, the daddy, the only man with two death stars on the kill list on his X-Wing is back!

Spoiler

he should have been in a x-wing. 

• Upvote 4

3 hours ago, sir podger said:

Hide contents

For a split second!

19 hours ago, yakumo said:

Mayo reading a letter from a viewer, genuinely heart warming I thought around the negativity 

That was lovely. The room I'm in seemed to get quite dusty as I was watching it.

Also the bit after about

Frozen 2 / RoS and "all the bother being caused by a grandfather

was very clever.

Apparently Trevorrow's version of Episode IX was going to be called "Duel of the Fates", and Robert Meyer Burnett (who I've never heard of but has done a lot of Star Trek DVD Making Ofs) read that version of the screenplay and did two YouTube streams talking about it. This is the first one, if you've got four hours to spare:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=5ShS32kJclU

I'd dismiss it as just another piece of fanfic, except that Britt Hayes of the AV Club says:

https://news.avclub.com/turns-out-colin-trevorrows-version-of-star-wars-episod-1841002112

While neither Disney nor Trevorrow have commented on the leak, we’ve spoken with another source who was able to independently confirm the legitimacy of the Trevorrow-Connolly script.

That AV Club article has a summary of it, but if you want more details without watching all four hours of the videos, someone on Reddit has transcribed the events:

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/eoaxdn/robert_meyer_burnett_reviews_an_early_draft_of/feb0pzw/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/eoyycc/rbm_talks_duel_of_the_fates_part_2_new_stream_new/fega0vy/

https://www.reddit.com/r/StarWarsLeaks/comments/eoyycc/rbm_talks_duel_of_the_fates_part_2_new_stream_new/fegpiev/

• Upvote 2

Finally got round to watching this ... somehow managed to avoid all the spoilers and have given it a few days to settle in before I write my thoughts, I still haven't read any reviews or any other opinions on it so I'm writing this without knowing whether it's getting the same level of hate as the last one (somehow I suspect not - not for the same reasons, anyway). 

I enjoyed it. I know that doesn't really mean a lot with movies these days - I can say I "enjoy" most of the big all-action spectacular blockbusters but I rarely see one I want to watch twice. This - I probably will watch again, like I watched TLJ again (haven't been enthused enough to watch TFA a second time though I snoozed through most of a rewatch of it on a flight). 

I didn't get bored once, which is more than I can say for either of the previous films in the trilogy. I liked TLJ as well, it was mostly good with a few slow bits, and this is good too, but for very different reasons. 

I enjoyed seeing Luke, Leia and Han again, although I can see that a lot of people might think their cameos were shoehorned and a bit cheesy, but I don't mind a bit of fan service when it comes to something like Star Wars. I would have taken it further if I'd made this film and had the force ghosts of Luke, Obi Wan, Yoda, Mace Windu, Qui-Gon etc all appear during that bit where Rey is saying "I am all of the Jedi!" and pile on top of the Emperor and start stomping him, then all do a jumping hi-five. But that's probably why no one would let me make a Star Wars film. Further back, during that bit where they're all getting sucked under the patch of dark coloured sand, I was hoping it was going to turn out to be a Sarlac. I even found myself grinning massively when Wicket appeared. (Was i supposed to be Wicket? I saw that Warwick Davis was listed in the credits.)

The new kids - have never really grown on me. But in this film Rey and Kylo came into themselves a bit. Kylo certainly took his time, but came across for the first time, to me at least, as quite interesting and well-developed character. It's weird and probably reflects badly on me, but I the fact that the he (or the actor who plays him) seems to have a funny face might have stopped me feeling the character, in the way the writers intended. I don't know if it's just me, as I've never seen anyone else mention it, but he just looks silly to me - sort of gormless and goofy. Please let me know if you agree with me on this as it seems really obvious to me but no one else seems to say it. Maybe its the case that he's a very handsome man but in a way that people who aren't attracted to men don't really appreciate (like Peter Andre), and so to a straight man, looking at him without making a judgement about whether he is attractive or not, he just looks a bit funny?  He has a big nose and a really long mouth but then normal sized eyes and forehead. Looking at him I almost get a kind of uncanny valley feeling like he's a not-quite-perfect CGI. But by this film I'd managed to get over that, and I enjoyed his performance. 

Finn and Poe on the other hand still leave me pretty cold. In a way they just seem like they're characters that have been put in because it's a film and it needs characters. They don't seem to play a key role in the plot at any real point, and their character development doesn't influence events in the universe, as far as I can see, in any way, beyond the "we're all friends together!" stuff. An escaped Stormtrooper is a good concept for a character, and obviously they needed a rogue, space adventurer type. But the team never came close to having the same sort of chemistry we got when Luke, Han, Leia, Chewy, 3PO and R2 were all knocking around together. 

I liked the final act too, although I can see it's clearly going to cop a lot of flack for just being a re-run of the last third of RotJ. Again it was probably mainly because I enjoy the fan service. The crashed Death Star looked really cool, and the Emperor throwing out force lightning was fun to see again, though I was gutted that when Rey said that thing about being all of the Jedis, he didn't say "So be it ... Jedis". 

Ok so to sum up - I enjoyed it, it gets a "pretty good" rating from me, but that comes with the caveat that I have bad taste in films and love fan service. 

I'm going to put it (for now) at number four or five in my overall ranking of all of the films - below the original trilogy and either the best or second-best of the new trilogy. Will be interesting to see how my opinion changes over time. 

• Upvote 3

it's disjointed. a series of scenes that could be from star wars films, but it feels like a patchwork, lacking a narrative thread.

or that huge chunks of exposition were excised, and we're just supposed to roll with it.

• Upvote 2

12 hours ago, Anne Summers said:

But the team never came close to having the same sort of chemistry we got when Luke, Han, Leia, Chewy, 3PO and R2 were all knocking around together.

I loved the film, but was thinking the exact same thing the other day about the recent films!

I saw this before christmas, and only remembered i'd watched it when my son told me that Jojo Rabbit was the best film of the two we watched over Christmas. 

On 15/01/2020 at 22:11, Anne Summers said:

But the team never came close to having the same sort of chemistry we got when Luke, Han, Leia, Chewy, 3PO and R2 were all knocking around together. 

Certainly agree with that - I thought the best chemistry in the whole trilogy was in the scenes Harrison Ford had with Daisy Ridley in TFA.

4 hours ago, Jammy said:

Certainly agree with that - I thought the best chemistry in the whole trilogy was in the scenes Harrison Ford had with Daisy Ridley in TFA.

He was good with Finn too. The scene where he tells him women always figure out the truth is classic Ford.

• Upvote 2

What a sad, weird, slightly depressing mess. At least it’s over now. I could write paragraphs but it’s all been said, and honestly the film doesn’t deserve the effort. 

The only way forward for Star Wars is to build anew, have Filoni/Favreau/Feige come up with a ten year plan, roughly map the whole thing out, and delegate to a diverse generation of new voices. 

• Upvote 1

I don't like Star Wars (at all) but my friend does so we saw this last night - and thought it was rubbish. It was just full of macguffins as far as the eye could see which had my friend rolling his eyes throughout.

Unrelated to my opinion on it, I did just randomly see this article on Crack'd about Rose whilst browsing their site, which is interesting (and very sad if there's any truth to it): https://www.cracked.com/article_27001_sorry-but-ignoring-rose-tico-kind-ruins-star-wars.html

One positive though was I thought Ridley was really, really good; I remember watching The Force Awakens and she was very wooden and unnatural, whereas she clearly has grown into the role and conveyed the strength and maturity of Rey brilliantly.

• Upvote 1

I listened to that summary of the Trevorrow script.

To be honest it sounds like too much to pack in to one movie, but considering what we got was equally hectic I don't see that as a valid reason to have dropped it all. It would have got them out of the hole TLJ left them in far more gracefully (they become saboteurs and inciters of a groundswell movement - plus gives Finn an actual legitimate purpose to exist in motivating all the disaffected Stormtroopers). Way better than "The Dead speak!". Lando being there to bridge to the pirates of the galaxy is far better than Lando being able to bridge to *everyone* in the galaxy.

Also it kept Rose as a main character and plays off Luke's death in TLJ beautifully.

What a fucked up mess they made. Even if they didn't trust him as a director why did they have to ditch the script along with him?

I previously had to rediscover my love of Star Wars by banishing the prequels to the "things I have forgotten" part of my brain. It seems like I will have to do that with the sequel trilogy as well.

I used to get massively irked with all the calls for a do-over on TLJ - some parts really sucked but the overall themes were worth keeping. Hypocritically I now wish we could have a do-over for the final part, as it really has tainted the whole mess.

edit - it's Matrix Revolutions basically.

• Upvote 4