Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

Jug McKenzie

1 hour ago, Lorfarius said:

I have to talk about the C3PO stuff.  Been a week since it's sunk in but

Hide contents

they really treated him like garbage, the big emotional scene where he's going to be wiped and calling them his friends.. yet they've all spent the trilogy dismissing him off hand. It happened in the older films but it wasn't to this degree and I felt sorry for the guy.  Such an awful way to deal with a beloved character and there wasn't a point in the entire film where it felt like the rest of the crew deserved to be friends with him.

to be fair he's a massive flapping arsehole.  The ResistanceTeens are trying to fight a war and he's shuffling about talking shite. 

15 minutes ago, Nick R said:

All Star Wars robots (droids) are made up. :sherlock:

selective quoting is the best quoting. Obviously I was indicating that the mechanical twats aren't of any technology previously seen in SW and as such have been "made up" by Lucas to sell toys or just try to expand his "Flash Gordon serial" to be something bigger and miserably failing.

May as well have put the Tin man from Wizard of Oz in - he would've been more in keeping with the droid designs in SW. For SW he famously wanted a droid like the Metropolis one and one like Silent running. Then with TPM he said I want a computer game on screen.

Admittedly TPM (trade negotiation Star Wars!)  is better than AoTC but the latter was just a cry for help I think. The Prequels can be summed up by going from Annie shouting "wheeeee" to Vader saying "Noooooooo!!!"

12 hours ago, Clipper said:

I present you with exhibit A - Jar Jar and the entireity of the Gungans.

Especially when they fight those made up robots some of which can roll around and have personal shields (tech not in Star Wars) - I have never felt more disconnected from a film or felt a film was more unlike star wars. If they said that at the end of the film that Obi-Wan then passed through a wormhole to a different universe that actually had the Star Wars universe in it then that would have made more sense.

Duel of Fates was the ONLY good bit in the film - the rest was utter shite, unwatchable midi-chlorian bollocks.

Yep, people need to watch Mr Plinkett's review which goes in more detail. 

There is a gapping creative mystery at the heart of the Prequels that I would love an official answer to from George Lucas.....

In the early 80's George was a story telling master, redefining cinema with B movie serial stories designed and told on a grand scale. He understood how to tell old stories in fresh and interesting ways.. and he understood you need a main character and protagonist to do it that connected audiences to your story.

...Yet... the prequels don't have a lead character (which is a large part of what makes them so dissatisfying). And George knows this - its story telling 101. They are like a daytime TV soap operas not focusing on any one character.... and I suspect was some Uber creative narrative experiment on George's part that failed speculatively. I would love to know what he was actually trying to achieve though as he was always trying new things and attempting to push the envelope... (ring theory does not apply to this one)..

31 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

There is a gapping creative mystery at the heart of the Prequels that I would love an official answer to from George Lucas.....

In the early 80's George was a story telling master, redefining cinema with B movie serial stories designed and told on a grand scale. He understood how to tell old stories in fresh and interesting ways.. and he understood you need a main character and protagonist to do it that connected audiences to your story.

...Yet... the prequels don't have a lead character (which is a large part of what makes them so dissatisfying). And George knows this - its story telling 101. They are like a daytime TV soap operas not focusing on any one character.... and I suspect was some Uber creative narrative experiment on George's part that failed speculatively. I would love to know what he was actually trying to achieve though as he was always trying new things and attempting to push the envelope... (ring theory does not apply to this one)..

Most of the prequels were made up on the spot, and even Lucas himself has admitted that the vast majority of the prequels were heavily padded since the only real story he had in mind when starting the prequels was the basic events of Revenge of the Sith.

Being a Star Wars fan, like being a Star Trek or Bond fan, is like supporting a football team. You passionately want them to do well but their performance is entirely down to the manager and the team at any point. 

Star Wars and Star Trek are currently former Premiership superstars who are now mid league but with some great new signings after a rocky few years. The Alien and Terminator franchises would be Swindon Town and Oldham Athletic, they apparently used to be top-flight teams, but nobody can remember when the hell that was, while Marvel are in their boring Man Utd under Alex Ferguson ‘we are just killing it’ phase.

Despite all the highs and lows of our teams, we wish them well and will go and see pretty much any old crap that comes our way and then angrily call for changes.

To be fair Empire Strikes Back  was not  critically well received and since then has become the best Star Wars movie and preserved by the library of Congress. Time will tell where the sequels lie.

Also I lie the prequel did do something good, it gave us stuff like this:

I think George had to fix that in the edit as well. There was an unfortunate incident, Liam Neeson was all like 'Corus..ya cunt!' and then headbutted the grip holding the tennis ball on a stick which was standing in for the droid. He also digitally added lightsabers to Neeson and McGregor's belts as his penis was on display so frequently. Watch for them flopping around next time.

53 minutes ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

It is amazing how George Lucas pulled together some of the best acting talent of the whole 1990’s, and made them all collectively give the worst performances of their entire careers.

That's the script to be fair. Can't blame the director for that......

Jake Lloyd got so much shit when TPM came out but Ewan McGregor and Natalie Portman are arguably worse, and they were much more experienced actors. 

Given the role and dialogue he was dealt, I thought Lloyd did alright. 

22 hours ago, Clipper said:

I present you with exhibit A - Jar Jar and the entireity of the Gungans.

Especially when they fight those made up robots some of which can roll around and have personal shields (tech not in Star Wars) - I have never felt more disconnected from a film or felt a film was more unlike star wars. If they said that at the end of the film that Obi-Wan then passed through a wormhole to a different universe that actually had the Star Wars universe in it then that would have made more sense.

Duel of Fates was the ONLY good bit in the film - the rest was utter shite, unwatchable midi-chlorian bollocks.

I too enjoyed the Pod Race, though like the film, its a touch overlong. I like bits of the Senate and Jedi stuff - there's definitely a lighter touch or shorter version that works. The battle at the end was a bit meh, but not unwatchable. 

I never minded Jar Jar that much, myself. Anakin annoyed me much more. 

Of all the prequels it's the most coherent. There's definitely a "good" version of a very similar story in there. 

Episode II suffers from the Ninja problem. One Jedi is amazing, a hundred Jedi just get shot by robots.

2 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

It is amazing how George Lucas pulled together some of the best acting talent of the whole 1990’s, and made them all collectively give the worst performances of their entire careers.

I'm sure Lucas' direction for each actor was "Stand there, say this, then fuck off!". He's been on record as saying he doesn't like working with actors. He's more interested in the effects and editing. He treats actors like part of the scenery. This includes moving them around the frame in editing and cut and pasting bits of their performances together. 

He bit off more than he could chew by trying to do it all himself. He was stuck between a rock and a hard place though as he had pissed off The Directors Guild of America and the studios so couldn't hire a Director that was part of the DGA.

5 hours ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

The main image that sums up the prequels for me is  actors standing in a burgundy room with a window with orange sky outside, like some quick scene you’d knock up in After Effects.

On 06/01/2020 at 08:39, Lorfarius said:

I have to talk about the C3PO stuff.  Been a week since it's sunk in but

Hide contents

they really treated him like garbage, the big emotional scene where he's going to be wiped and calling them his friends.. yet they've all spent the trilogy dismissing him off hand. It happened in the older films but it wasn't to this degree and I felt sorry for the guy.  Such an awful way to deal with a beloved character and there wasn't a point in the entire film where it felt like the rest of the crew deserved to be friends with him.

the treatment of C3PO is my favourite thing about Rise of Skywalker.

On 06/01/2020 at 12:15, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Was he a master though? Or did he have a few original ideas, a bunch or Kurosawa movies, years to work on his script and help from people like Spielberg and Coppola? He had very little to do with ESB, and ROTJ contains a lot of shitty plot designed to sell toys just like the prequels do. I think he’s probably always been crap.