rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

18 minutes ago, Festoon said:

Tran's acting was perfectly fine in TLJ. Only wankers said it was bad.

Yeah, she was fine. What was crap about Rose and Finn in The Last Jedi was the totally shite plot their characters were involved with. The actors were handed a proper dogs fucking dinner, and they did the best they could. Tran is actually really good in selling how she feels about Finn throughout the film, but on screen that appeared to be a one-way street. 

The worst acting in The Last Jedi was Del Toro. By a long long way. He hammed it up good and proper. 

• Upvote 6

19 minutes ago, K said:

One thing to bear in mind is, if you ever find yourself saying something like “the abuse Kelly Marie Tran suffered is obviously completely unjustified, but” or “the treatment Tran received was horrendous and she in no way deserved it, but”, then go back and delete the “but”, and end the sentence there. Loads of people - including people in this thread - don’t end the sentence there, and go on to inadvertently justify the abuse and tacitly suggest she did deserve it. 

Rose was a pretty unexceptional character in TLJ and her acting was fine, though not to the point it elevated a weak plot. She deserved absolutely none of the racist and sexist shit she got, and those people are utter fucking morons. 

If I put the second sentence after the first using a but, it doesn't change the overall meaning. At all. 

People are trying to make sure any negative sentiments they are expressing around the character aren't supporting or justifying racist abuse. Like they explicitly do not want to do that. Beating them up over it not being in your preferred form - not even sure what that is - isn't helpful. 

• Upvote 1

Linking two sentences with a “but” doesn’t imply any connection between those two sentences? The word “but” can’t change the meaning of a sentence all by itself? I’m not saying you’re full of shit, but

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

It's so bananas, he added a whole new character that goes to going to extraordinary lengths to be beside Finn all of a sudden. Hmm, no prior character has shown any evidence of that? Awful. What a fucking sellout mug.

G2lA6cZ.png

JJ writing RoTS

I mean, he literally replaces Tico with Jannah. Presumably because she's thinner and because of moron backlash.

And the Poochie line when she's asked to go: "No, I must stay here - my planet needs me to look at star destroyers".Awful, awful, awful. Abrams just waiting for the sigh of relief from all the cunts in the cinema at that line.

• Upvote 5

3 hours ago, Rob Rule said:

Oh man. I'm allowed to not like someone's acting. 

You don’t gain anything from piling on a woman who is clearly being endlessly attacked for being a woman. It makes you look like you’re a sexist, no matter how much you argue, it actually just makes it worse. So it’s probably worth thinking about what motivates you to continue adding to the endless pile of negativity that’s already been written about a woman who has already been hounded off the internet and already been written out of the sequel.

You are obviously perfectly entitled to your opinion. But the force and endless persistence with which this particular opinion seems to need to be stated makes you look like as much of a twat as everyone else who is still whining about it years later, whatever your motivation is. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

Woah, it's not like he is direct tweeting her. 

It's fucking stupid to imply that she hasn't been harrassed by idiots, but it's also ok to not care if the character is cut from the new movie or think she is great in the role especially in a thread discussing the movie.

• Upvote 7

The Sith planet is so top secret, that not even the First Order know where it is initially. It's also seemingly made of stone and held together by magic, all very old and mystical. So how and/or why have they managed to make the biggest fleet of Star Destroyers in the galaxy and who the fuck is actually supposed to be piloting them?

God, this film is so shit. Proper Russel T Davies Doctor Who finale level nonsense. 

• Upvote 7
  • Downvote 1

1 hour ago, Broker said:

You don’t gain anything from piling on a woman who is clearly being endlessly attacked for being a woman. It makes you look like you’re a sexist, no matter how much you argue, it actually just makes it worse. So it’s probably worth thinking about what motivates you to continue adding to the endless pile of negativity that’s already been written about a woman who has already been hounded off the internet and already been written out of the sequel.

You are obviously perfectly entitled to your opinion. But the force and endless persistence with which this particular opinion seems to need to be stated makes you look like as much of a twat as everyone else who is still whining about it years later, whatever your motivation is. 

My one line mention of her acting (the first time ever, btw) comes in a 300 word post that explains, summarises then decries the bullying she's received - trying to be a bit more useful than a 'grow up' or 'fuck off'. It was a reply to someone posting "Funny, I don’t recall hearing of any backlash against Ridley or Boyega." It's a reply careful not to immediately attack, tell off or inform someone that they're effectively labelled as and are akin to a 4-chan MRA - it's well proven that's how extremists are made and only serves to make the right-minded and well-meaning person fan the flames from Day 1 and make the problem bigger. Rllmuk is entirely the place to post some nuance and it's only in less considered conversation in public where I've not said that I don't rate Rose because being in a victim's corner has come first. But fucking hell, a few inflammatory dim-bulbs aside, rllmuk clearly isn't about to struggle with a post that says the merits of her acting becomes irrelevant the moment the abuse starts.

Have you mistaken me for twitter, or rllmuk for a bunch of fascists eager to lap up any Kelly Marie Tran bashing? If so, please remember I'm talking to my peer group that regularly demonstrate this sentiment:

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/262506-gender-diversity-politics-in-games-was-tropes-vs-women/

Edit: missed that this was Broker, ffs. Disregard. 

Edited by Rob Rule
  • Upvote 5

6 hours ago, drmick said:

But lovely visuals?

They're slick but not very memorable?  The Sith planet and droid brain extraction planet are both dull and dingy.  Desert and jungle planets are blander than versions in the other films.

The crashed Death Star was about the best it managed. 

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

This was so bad. So so bad. I actually fell asleep last night in the cinema and some random had to wake me up just as Rey went for the final confrontation. So much nonsense and shoe Horning 

Well I thought that was pretty good...

Spoiler

ride of the gnus not withstanding...

JJ had to land a 43 year old series and was handed basically no hooks at all to do it with. I’m not a JJ fan in the slightest and thought TFA was fun and functional but nothing more. This is fun and functional as well but a completely different style of movie. Darker, and loads more going on in the race to the end. A lot of the new plot points deserved a movie to themselves, but had to be wrapped up almost immediately. Considering the data-dump of new stuff JJ managed to land the series in one piece. It was a wobbly ride, but ultimately pulled enough emotional memberberries while also adding new stuff to be satisfying to those wishing it well. As a stand-alone movie though? Absolute gobbledegook. The Russel T. Davies comparison is pretty accurate.

Babu Frik was the best thing in it by far. The shot of Leia 

Spoiler

lying in state was cheesy as hell, but when I saw Billie Lourd silhouetted in the foreground even my cold heart was touched.

Kylo’s arc was satisfying, while basically being Darth Vader’s arc,  Rey’s not so much. She seemed to mostly be taking us on a tour of Galaxy’s Edge while wearing as much Star Wars merch as she could carry from the gift store. Final shot got me though.

Watched the first one with my Mum aged 5 at a now demolished cinema in Ewell. Watched the last one with my wife aged 47.

Last one? Obviously of course not.

• Upvote 3

Ah now that’s where you’re wrong. I quite liked it for the spectacle and a couple of good ideas but the plot points that “needed to be wrapped up almost immediately”? That’s Abrams all over. He has no idea where any of those plot points were going to go and his wrapping up is to just drop them. It’s like the polar bear all over again but circa 20 times in 2 hours.

I watched the first one in an old fashioned cinema in Northampton (probably flats now) up near the front of the circle. I watched this one in the front row of the circle in an old fashioned Everyman in Esher :-)

11 hours ago, Festoon said:

Tran's acting was perfectly fine in TLJ. Only wankers said it was bad.

I didn’t think she was that great but she has some really duff writing. That absolute clanger of a line where she frees the space pony and says “now it’s worth it,” was horrendous. 

And her character’s development is really rushed to hit the plot points they need to hit in a movie where the three main plot strands are already vying for time. The majority of hers comes in Canto Bight as well, which feels like a corny Disney movie throughout. 

I think she could have been much better in this. And I don’t agree with the idea that she was benched because either Rose or Tran are not up to scratch. 

I watched this a couple of days ago. I really enjoyed it. It probably tries to cram too much plot into just one movie, but aside from that it was a really fun ride.

One welcome surprise is that I felt that the movie suggests that the movies can be understood as the movements of characters within the continuum of the light and dark side of The Force--in a similar way as to how time and karma are understood in Buddhism.

• Upvote 1

I actually quite liked Rose in TLJ (despite Canto Bight) and thought she was very poorly served in TROS for suspicious reasons... but God, please can rllmukers be allowed to post about the character and reaction to her without immediately being assaulted by the woke-as-fuck brigade? It’s so tedious seeing people in this thread being accused of all sorts for absolutely no reason.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 3

2 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

Maybe a better approach to that plea would be to not use idiotic terms like 'the woke-as-fuck brigade'.

Reading certain posts it seems accurate, though. Sorry!

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

6 hours ago, CarloOos said:

The Sith planet is so top secret, that not even the First Order know where it is initially. It's also seemingly made of stone and held together by magic, all very old and mystical. So how and/or why have they managed to make the biggest fleet of Star Destroyers in the galaxy and who the fuck is actually supposed to be piloting them?

I got hammered by purists earlier in the thread for pointing out a similar criticism. Apparently North Korea can do similar.

Pro-tip: if you're trying pretend you're dead and conduct an implausible plan in super secrecy, maybe don't make Mercedes style hood ornaments of your symbol for your operatives to put on their rides.

• Upvote 1

I don't see a problem with that. A galaxy is a very, very, very big place. The conditions of where the planet is located allows them to stay hidden. These people are used to building massive projects in secret (see nearly every Star Wars movie for reference), so why is it suddenly a problem for people to believe now? They tear planets apart for resources. As for who is on the ships, they just take whoever they want, just like always. Raise their own armies from a young age. This is all those people know and they don't get to go to Space Fuerteventura on holidays.

• Upvote 2

Yeah, the ancient Sith planet ran on mysterious ancient technology that was known to that extinct species but lost to the galaxy at large. It was a classic sci-fi mcguffin, I don’t think it needs to be explained any more than that. We don’t need to see the logistics of crewing those ships, any more than we need to see them loading up loo roll and pillows. 

They have a barrel of Snokes. Presumably they can clone troopers. 

The sillier bits are why they didn’t send their fleet a year or two before when the First Order were struggling to put the Resistance down (presumably they weren’t all ready and would have only made the FO a few thousand times more powerful rather than 10,000) and why Snokepatine told Ben to kill Rey all those times. Probably all part of the master plan and Palps wanted Snoke to die so Rey could go on the great McGuffin Quest. 

• Upvote 1

37 minutes ago, K said:

Yeah, the ancient Sith planet ran on mysterious ancient technology that was known to that extinct species but lost to the galaxy at large. It was a classic sci-fi mcguffin, I don’t think it needs to be explained any more than that. We don’t need to see the logistics of crewing those ships, any more than we need to see them loading up loo roll and pillows. 

Or ironing their shirts. ;)

37 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Probably all part of the master plan and Palps wanted Snoke to die so Rey could go on the great McGuffin Quest. 

After seeing TLJ for the first time I'd pretty much made up my mind that Snoke was purely a vessel for a darker force; perhaps Palps, but back then that was pure speculation. I always maintained that Snoke's final line in TLJ, "I see him twisting the lightsaber to strike true, and kills his true enemy", is referring to himself, and not Rey. 

• Upvote 1