rllmuk

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

I would also love to know the real behind the scenes deal that took place with all of these movies. 

From what I have heard Iger/Disney bought both Star Wars and the original Lucas treatment for his own version of the sequel trilogy (the one that focuses on the Midicholorians) as part of the deal, with Lucas himself working on the project. Of course once they read his version of events they quickly binned his story and cut all ties, including getting rid of Ardnt, with JJ appearing on the scene to take full control. One of the only people to survive the Disney cull was Kennedy who was employed by Lucas shortly before the Disney buy out.

As it stands Disney went for the safest route with Force Awakens in the end, fearing having a Prequel situation and therefore copying the OT as much as possible. I do wonder how different a set of films we would have got if Lucas had been allowed to get his version of events on screen.

Fuck you and your great big spaceships floating in planetary atmospheres rising from the sea Abrams. Taking all the space out of space operas since 2009.

The film had Stormtroopers using speeders that had fucking wheels. Fucking wheels. 

This trilogy has treated us like morons. George Lucas built a GALAXY with character and a fair amount of consistency over the space of 6 films. Disney let their writers and directors shit all over that by allowing them to fling whatever they thought would be 'cool' onto film. 

What a waste. The cast deserved better.

The Skywalker saga turned into a load of old bollocks. The stories of Anakin, Luke and Leia deserved better endings than this trilogy provides. 

R2-D2 and C3PO were wasted as well. They should have been used as a thread to bind all of the films together. 

• Upvote 6

The shitty part of this entire trilogy was how shitty the lives of all the heroes ended.

Basically everyone had a fucked up life from the baddies to the goodies.

Qui-con - died and started this whole mess 

obi-wan - lived most his life in a cave. Killed by his best friend

Anakin - chopped up by his best friend, lost his family and humanity. Loved his life in constant pain

I got bored writing this, how do you guys write these mega long posts!

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1
2 hours ago, Hamus said:

The storrmtroopers on wheels was poor. Bring back Obi Wan on a CG Gecko.

Yeah I can't believe the midoclorians were not used in this trilogy, as outlined by Lucas early on. It would have given some real heart to it. Unlike the stupid books and the tree.

Why didn't Yoda or Luke mention it in this last trilogy? All this nonsense about family etc, it's all just tiny bug things.

Jar jar or his relations should have featured more, casting out that crucial role from the original trilogy was again pathetic. Plus we didn't get ANY explanation of further trading or galactic financial issues that solidified episode one - which surely sets up the whole thing.

Anakins ending really deserves better. After he was so well explained in the first three films too. That amazing podracing kid, Ani, who built CP30 - he translated the Sith code! So important.

Plus Anakins wonderfully structured fall, when he was skillfully tricked by Palps - from having his own family to murdering younglings with ease, and seeing the end of Nick Fury. Then him choking out the woman he loved, just because her acting wasn't as good as when she was in Leon. Still she ended up with Hemsworth, another Disney character, so it's bewildering why he didn't appear in this one to help out*. He's probably Luke's step-step dad or sometbing. (*I just realised he died in Star Trek, and there's never been any crossover between these franchises).

All wonderful moments, it's amazing Anakin's ending wasn't tied up better.

JJ should have taken the high ground.

I said a fair amount of consistency. :lol:

• Upvote 1

Having watched all 9 films in the space of a week I think Lucas was:

1. Making them up as he went along (e.g. Vader being Luke's father and then also Leia's seem like later additions).

2. Not worried about tonal consistency between films. Each film has its own distinct personality.

The Star Wars films vary from masterpiece to bewildering failure, and I'm glad of that. Directors and storytellers have been given the freedom to stamp their own personalities on the films they make and I'd much prefer to see that than the streamlined, homogenised fare we're being fed these days.

• Upvote 5
24 minutes ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I think my favourite bit was when Rey sledged down that little hill at the end, was it a callback to something?

20 minutes ago, JohnC said:

Didn’t she do it in TFA?

Yeah, right at the start of the film. It was a lovely moment and you could tell Daisy was enjoying it - maybe a bit too much! :)

At least we got confirmation on one important thing: 

Spoiler

Palatine fucks

Apart from lots of the other issues, something that raised an eyebrow:

Spoiler

Bringing in a new character of colour for Finn to have chemistry with is a weird, awkward trope that films tend to avoid nowadays. I'd have probably given it a pass, but sidelining Rose and the snog she had with him in the last film just highlights this.

I had a great time watching it, but I had a great time watching Star Trek Into Darkness as well. 

2 hours ago, Festoon said:

Here's a new woman for Finn because fuck Rose Tico.

Thanks JJ.

To be fair she kissed Finn at the end of TLJ, it was pretty unprovoked.

It could be fair to say he was concerned that she was a bit of a stalker. From their first meeting "Ohh you're the famous amazing Finn!", then managing to hang out with him the whole day, to finally crashing into him to 'save him', then an unsolicited sexually charged advance.

I think Finn may well have been steering clear.

• Upvote 1
28 minutes ago, jonny_rat said:

I had a great time watching it, but I had a great time watching Star Trek Into Darkness as well. 

I enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness while watching it in the cinema, but it fell apart in about the time it took for me to walk back to the bus stop afterwards.

Likewise, I really liked The Rise of Skywalker while I was watching it (yes, I caught a number of things that bugged me, but mostly I was able to just let them wash over me). I gave it four stars on Letterboxd! So it wasn't until after I got home (and started reading other opinions online) that I realised how much more bothersome those problems were in retrospect, compared to how minor they'd seemed in the cinema.

So it held together slightly longer than STID, at least.

• Upvote 1
3 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I enjoyed Star Trek Into Darkness while watching it in the cinema, but it fell apart in about the time it took for me to walk back to the bus stop afterwards.

Likewise, I really liked The Rise of Skywalker while I was watching it (yes, I caught a number of things that bugged me, but mostly I was able to just let them wash over me). I gave it four stars on Letterboxd! So it wasn't until after I got home (and started reading other opinions online) that I realised how much more bothersome those problems were in retrospect, compared to how minor they'd seemed in the cinema.

So it held together slightly longer than STID, at least.

Yep, same on both. Great fun in the cinema, feeling less sure the second I stepped out of there. We should give JJ credit here, because there's definitively an art to making film that can maintain breakneck exposition and action in the way that he can. That's not a small thing, and it's one reason that there's no question that the sequels are better overall than the prequels, which just draaaaag. 

But I'm feeling less and less satisfied with it as time goes on.

14 hours ago, Mr Combo Breaker said:

I lol’d at 

Hide contents

All the Sith colluseum guys getting absolutely annihilated by rocks and shit when Sheev died. 

Same here. Loved how fucking OTT that bit was.

12 hours ago, scottcr said:

Adam Driver was brilliant in the film.

Spoiler

His long reach physical fighting and how he transformed into a cocky Solo when he went into the Sith temple.

The more I think about it the more I dislike the film but I agree with this;

Spoiler

there was a marked physical difference in how Driver moved when he was Solo, it was great. Makes me wish we could have seen more of him like that, even in flashbacks before his turn.

• Upvote 1
1 hour ago, The Hierophant said:

I'm surprised by most of the reactions here. TLJ was a bit of a mess in places so I understood why people didn’t like it if not the vehemence of their criticism. RoS is good. I really enjoyed it and so did my nine year old son. Sure it’s not perfect but what film is?  

I think I’d be a lot more forgiving of its flaws and decisions if it felt like JJ had a vision outside of “let’s make fan service to appease the angry nerds.”

• Upvote 4
14 hours ago, Joystick Chevron said:

Oh? So TROS being bad *is* the end of the world, The Mandalorian isn’t working out well, Driver and Ridley were terrible, Threepio was not better than he’s been since A New Hope, and I was wrong to at least be glad that some of us here were able to enjoy the film?

Come on, Sandman, if you’re going to shitpost (and by god, you have plenty of experience at it) at least do it in a way that makes sense instead of making yourself look even more of a self-owning dope than usual.

WHAT THE ACTUAL FUCK

• Upvote 1
36 minutes ago, grindmouse said:

If they’d planned this out properly:

Hide contents

Driver’s  turn should’ve come midway through the second film, and the Palp/Rey reveal should’ve been saved for the final act of the third film. They needed a stronger new antagonist to fill the void though.

I think:

Spoiler

The ending in TLJ was absolutely fine,  classic act 2 stuff with the characters at their lowest point and Ren as the new supreme leader, but with some degree of hope in the form of Rey, and the modest victory of escaping the First Order.

The existence of a higher power beyond Snoke should have been hinted at, and his identity revealed at the end. One of the complaints people had about TLJ was that it gave them nothing to look forward to in the third movie, but this certainly would have. Why keep it secret for two years, or make the reveal in a trailer? Put it at the end, like Luke at the end of TFA.

Maybe move the stuff with the Sith Wayfinder into TLJ, which would give Poe, Finn, Chewie and Threepio something to do.

Then the third film would be about finding Exogol, Ren’s struggle between the dark and light, bringing an army together to defeat the first/final/whatever order, and Rey/Ben’s showdown with the emperor.

But honestly, it’s generally a solid series of films overall, and you can’t blame Johnson or JJ for the slightly haphazard nature of it all.

• Upvote 2
2 hours ago, The Hierophant said:

I'm surprised by most of the reactions here. TLJ was a bit of a mess in places so I understood why people didn’t like it if not the vehemence of their criticism. RoS is good. I really enjoyed it and so did my nine year old son. Sure it’s not perfect but what film is?  

Raiders

Starship Troopers

Shites of Ren, more like

• Upvote 2

If they can make 30-odd superhero films and still have ammo in the cannon, they can certainly make some more Star Wars films. They should bring some of that Marvel talent onboard, put someone who knows what they’re doing in charge of overseeing them all, get the Pixar Brain Trust involved to tighten up the stories etc. I’d love to see them give Taika Waititi a crack at a film or series of films too.

But give us some new stuff, no more prequels/origin stories. No one gives a fuck where Han Solo came from or how he got the Millennium Falcon. Let go of all that baggage. Give us some exciting adventures with characters and worlds we’ve never seen before.

• Upvote 5
4 minutes ago, Paulando said:

If they can make 30-odd superhero films and still have ammo in the cannon, they can certainly make some more Star Wars films. They should bring some of that Marvel talent onboard, put someone who knows what they’re doing in charge of overseeing them all, get the Pixar Brain Trust involved to tighten up the stories etc. I’d love to see them give Taika Waititi a crack at a film or series of films too.

But give us some new stuff, no more prequels/origin stories. No one gives a fuck where Han Solo came from or how he got the Millennium Falcon. Let go of all that baggage. Give us some exciting adventures with characters and worlds we’ve never seen before.

Star Wars: Wolverine