rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

17 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

Who gives a fuck. Don Henderson and Johnny Briggs Dad were both in ANH. I'll bet nobody in 1977 was getting their knickers in a knot about it. Fuck sake.

Sorry I found it confusing, I guess. And like I said, the movie has much bigger problems. 

I find the technology distracting. When they were all “well the dagger is gone, no way we can ever know what it said on it”, how the fuck do they not have some sort of camera? How can that little robot not just back up 3PO’s memories before he wipes him? They literally say you can back his memory up in that scene!

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, HarryBizzle said:

Genuine question: are we not doing spoilers any more, or what? Seems a bit odd that someone would be reading this topic without having seen it at this point.

Yes, if you’re in this thread now having not seen the film you’ve only got yourself to blame.

21 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Sorry I found it confusing, I guess. And like I said, the movie has much bigger problems. 

Not to mention Cliff from Cheers, Mr Bronson from Grange Hill and Mr Waldorf salad from Fawlty Towes in ESB.

10 minutes ago, Steven said:

Not to mention Cliff from Cheers, Mr Bronson from Grange Hill and Mr Waldorf salad from Fawlty Towes in ESB.

And Bob Falfa from American Graffiti

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

Genuine question: are we not doing spoilers any more, or what? Seems a bit odd that someone would be reading this topic without having seen it at this point.

But anyway:

Hide contents

I think the exact wording was something more to do with increasing their forces or power 10,000 fold. I understood that to be taking into account of the power of the Sith fleet rather than sheer numbers.

And then later on in the film he says some stuff about having always served Palpatine and served him as part of the old Empire, right? So maybe he was just taking shit earlier because the rest of the FO leadership were debating whether to join the space cultists or not.

But by that point, once you've accepted that Palp's frail body survived the death star explosion (and that a huge chunk of it survived as well), then you might as well just switch your brain off to the rest of it.

Spoiler

The Emperor is in an imperfect clone body.

8 minutes ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Reveal hidden contents

The Emperor is in an imperfect clone body.

Spoiler

I think I would prefer the idea that he had kept what was left of his old body together by sheer hatred and determination, rather than his force ghost floating over to Eggsicle and then getting those little aliens to set up a cloning lab.

Regardless, if that’s the case then I don’t see why he shouldn’t be back for Episode 12 rather than being super dead now. 

56 minutes ago, Steven said:

Mr Waldorf salad from Fawlty Towes in ESB.

Oh shit. I'd never realised this until now!

giphy (8).gif

1 hour ago, Broker said:

I find the technology distracting. When they were all “well the dagger is gone, no way we can ever know what it said on it”, how the fuck do they not have some sort of camera? How can that little robot not just back up 3PO’s memories before he wipes him? They literally say you can back his memory up in that scene!

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, about the dagger was pure garbage. The logic behind that makes the Michael Bay Transformers movies look like the most complicated, twist-filled, Oscar-worthy series of movies of all time.

• Upvote 6

13 minutes ago, drmick said:

Everything, and I mean EVERYTHING, about the dagger was pure garbage. The logic behind that makes the Michael Bay Transformers movies look like the most complicated, twist-filled, Oscar-worthy series of movies of all time.

Yeah, it was junk. Classic JJ MacGuffin bullshit.

• Upvote 1

Yep, easily the weakest aspect of the film is the dagger. Couldn't they have just been guided by the force instead of a cheap replica from Uncharted? 

32 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yep, easily the weakest aspect of the film is the dagger. Couldn't they have just been guided by the force instead of a cheap replica from Uncharted? 

I was expecting Nic Cage to turn up rather than Nathan Drake

One bit I did get was that Rey said she recognised the Sith ship [spoilers] from when her parents left her, but if the sith assassin had her parents on that ship surely he must have seen there Rey was dumped?

3 hours ago, wev said:

And Bob Falfa from American Graffiti

I read that as Boba Fett and wondered why more hadn’t been made of such a unique origin story.

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, DirkCrisis said:

Silence! That chubby X-Wing pilot is Greg Grunberg from Alias and I will not have his character besmirched.

I was just coming here to say this and now you are my new favourite forum person.

• Upvote 4

Just got back.

as is usual my tastes run very different to everyone else as I think it is possibly my favourite movie of all time. 

• Empathy 2

Yes, while it’s no The Last Jedi, I enjoyed it overall and it made a good end to the saga. Typical JJ fare, visually appealing but with no real personality of its own. Real shame it didn’t build on any of the interesting ideas put forward in TLJ but hardly surprising given the response to that film from the usual collection of incel man-babies*

* and others who may not be incels or man-babies and are just normal people but also didn’t like TLJ for reasons best kept to themselves.

• Upvote 7

I was expecting to see more negativity about the 

Spoiler

Romeo and Juliet ending, but I guess it was a bigger deal for me than others. 

Overall I liked it a lot tho.

1 minute ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I was expecting to see more negativity about the 

Reveal hidden contents

Romeo and Juliet ending, but I guess it was a bigger deal for me than others. 

Overall I liked it a lot tho.

One of my boys said he expected that scene to descend into farce as they

Spoiler

kept reviving each other - “no, I’m reviving you, let me stay dead ffs!”

• Upvote 5

46 minutes ago, Darren said:

One of my boys said he expected that scene to descend into farce as they

Hide contents

kept reviving each other - “no, I’m reviving you, let me stay dead ffs!”

Sounds like he's been watching Supernatural

Pretty sure this has had Positive fan reaction.

The only downside I can think of is that it needed to be 2 films and felt rushed.

In that respect, I would blame TLJ for being a complete waste of time in this “trilogy”.

• Upvote 2

I don't think that's fair. The rush didn't force JJ to stuff it full of macguffins, or sideline Rose, or introduce underbaked new characters, or do too many fan service callbacks, or just generally make much of it totally incoherent. 

And I actually enjoyed the film :D

• Upvote 3