rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

2 hours ago, Hamus said:

Was it exactly 10,000 times as big? Or 9,999 times? Or was he just giving a bit of Billy bullshit to hype it up. 

If nothing is real or realistic in this whole thing, then why do you believe something said by a character.

Well, the character had his lines written by a real life person. This real life person, if given the responsibility of a multi-billion dollar franchise, should at least apply some common sense first, and preferably, given the value of said franchise, apply high school level expertise to the world building aspect of the story.

Is that really too much to ask as a customer? I want to enjoy the story, but it doesn't help that every 10 minutes I find something inherently so stupid that a 15-year old could destroy as part of their GCSE comprehension. And to be honest I find that last sentence offensive. To the calibre of GCSE students.

• Upvote 3

12 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

Don't worry, your post was funny. Something you couldn't accuse Rise of.

oh I don’t know

Spoiler

I laughed a lot at how they shoehorned Ford’s cameo in, and Luke’s lightsaber grab, and the two unnecessary seconds of Ewoks which I’m now wondering whether I hallucinated, and just how many mcguffins there were, and how JJ just couldn’t help himself but mimic scenes from RTJ.

21 minutes ago, footle said:

oh I don’t know

Hide contents

I laughed a lot at how they shoehorned Ford’s cameo in, and Luke’s lightsaber grab, and the two unnecessary seconds of Ewoks which I’m now wondering whether I hallucinated, and just how many mcguffins there were, and how JJ just couldn’t help himself but mimic scenes from RTJ.

I thought 

Spoiler

Luke's catch wasn't particularly shoe horned in. There's no possible universe in which he doesn't appear as a force ghost in this, and his arc in The Last Jedi does refute him chucking it at the start. Given that, it's such an obvious beat I'd have been more surprised if they hadn't done it. 

The 

Spoiler

Ewoks were WTF. Did I miss them when they actually went to Endor? 

23 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Saw it tonight and despite being all glossy and fun in typical JJ fashion, it left a pretty bad taste in my mouth. I may not have been amazingly thrilled with all the decisions in TLJ but they were executed well for the most part and were clearly the result of an original vision. This felt like embarrassing pandering to the TLJ backlash.

I mostly liked Rey and Kylo's arcs. (Kylo's fight choreography is brilliant, too). Fin's new haircut is cool, too.

Random gripes:

Hide contents
  • Apart from Rey being a Palpatine being utterly ridiculous, it seems totally pointless anyway. Her being a nobody and taking the Skywalker name would have had far more impact than this.
  • I wasn't the greatest fan of Rose but the way she's got some dud line at the beginning explaining she'll basically be taking a back seat for this film and sorry for being in the last one just seemed really unpleasant.
  • All the foreshadowing of Rey being someone important had my eyes rolling into the back of my head
  • Lando seemed criminally underused. He didn't really do anything important as far as I can tell. At least nothing that couldn't have been done by anyone else.
  • It commits the ongoing sin of there only being about 3 things you can do with the force (mind tricks, lift stuff and lightning) and every force user can do these. More interesting ones like the linking stuff and healing should only be employed when crucial to the plot.
  • TOO MANY FORCE GHOSTS. The memory of Han is a nice work around. And you really do wonder if the ghosts can do all this stuff why Luke and Yoda don't just come back and zap Palps with some bloody lightning themselves.
  • All Jedi now evaporating when they die annoys me more than it probably should.
  • Palps shooting mega-lightning. :mellow:

And can somebody please explain why the hobbit is now a (very distracting) extra in Star Wars?

I liked TLJ to begin with but in comparison to this, it's a bloody masterpiece.

He's friends with JJ and probably just wanted to be in a Star Wars film.

• Upvote 1

51 minutes ago, kensei said:

Hide contents

Ewoks were WTF. Did I miss them when they actually went to Endor? 

The forest moon is just one of many that orbit the gas giant Endor. They landed on Kef Bir.

4 hours ago, drmick said:

Richard E Grant says at one point in the film that the Sith Fleet is 10,000 times bigger than the First Order.

That's 10,000 times bigger than the forces that have already conquered the ENTIRE galaxy.

All done in secret in an area as big as a Tesco car park. With navigational systems based on CB radios. Each has been given, in effect, a universe* destroying weapon, but they cannot raise shields in an atmosphere, and can't shoot anything at the same altitude.

All done with no issues of supply of funding, raw materials, fuel, skilled manpower, and unskilled labour. And none of the workforce, which had to be substantive, ever let slip any of this to other people in the galaxy.

* The Star Wars Universe as we know it.

A space wizard did it.

10 hours ago, Pelekophoros said:

Nonsense. I mean, it wasn't just the internet - they'll have done focus groups, surveys and everything else - but 200,000 voices is a solid bit of statistical data no matter how you cut it. We predict elections on less than that.

TLJ made 700m less than TFA. There's no way Disney saw that as anything less than a failure. It only made a bit more than RO, and then categorically Han Solo bombed as well. 

Disney have shit the bed and done everything they can - including being clear this is The End - to rescue things and retain good will. Yes, their rushed schedule has affected the output, but they also seem to have run scared.

(Which is interesting given Avengers went the other way and stuck two fingers up at internet manbabies, based on the fact it'd make all the money anyway)

Funnily enough, Attack of the Clones took almost $400m less than The Phantom Menace, and the difference in total box office is almost identical to that between TFA and TLJ (around 64% - for stats fans Empire earned around 70% of what A New Hope did)

Point being, there has twice been a prolonged wait between the start of new Star Wars trilogies, and the hype for them undoubtedly boosted the audience for the first new film.
The drop-off between TFA and TLJ is steep, but not without precedent. They could be viewed as a failure, or also as being on trend if someone sat down and analysed the numbers without bias and against noise from a vocal minority. But that approach doesn’t generate clicks.

The most notable recent example of an audience having an actual impact, or at least being told they did, is with the Sonic redesign. Paramount pinning reshoots on fan feedback gave the film a clever, quick marketing win, which might generate some goodwill upon the film’s eventual release. But that negative reaction was singular so much easier to manage (albeit perhaps not for the VFX artists having to implement the changes)

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

What they should have done at the end was have the old lady...

Spoiler

Spoiler

ask Rey her name.and Rey replies “I’m Rey” and the old lady says “Rey who?”. And Rey thinks about it a moment , then replies “Rey Mysterio” then the camera pulls back to show her standing on the top rope of a wrestling ring. She dives off and pin holds a sandman. Crowd goes wild and  credits.

1 hour ago, dumpster said:

What they should have done at the end was have the old lady...

Hide contents

ask Rey her name and Rey replies "I'm Rey" and the old lady says "Rey who?" And Rey thinks about it for a moment, then replies "Rey Reardon" then the camera pulls back to reveal a snooker table and she gets a 147 break and everyone claps.

That would be totally unrealistic though because 

Spoiler

Reordan never recorded a 147 in his career.

• Upvote 8

8 hours ago, Stigweard said:

He's friends with JJ and probably just wanted to be in a Star Wars film.

I think JJ should stop doing this. Like the chubby X-Wing pilot who is given odd, cameo like prominence by virtue of being mates with the director, it’s just distracting as I sit there wondering if the hobbit was in the last one or they explained who he is and I’ve just missed it completely. 

Especially in a movie this busy. 

Another question:

Spoiler

Where does Rey get the little pyramid which takes her to Eggsicle?

I thought only two were made, Kylo has one and smashed the other, but then Rey is on Luke’s island and unless I’m mistaken, is suddenly on the Deathstar again and finds a third one in the back of Palpatine’s throne? Did she Force go there or something?

edit: This has now kindly been answered three times below.

• Upvote 1

5 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I think JJ should stop doing this. Like the chubby X-Wing pilot who is given odd, cameo like prominence by virtue of being mates with the director, it’s just distracting as I sit there wondering if the hobbit was in the last one or they explained who he is and I’ve just missed it completely. 

Another question:

Reveal hidden contents

I thought only two were made, Kylo has one and smashed the other, but then Rey is on Luke’s island and unless I’m mistaken, is suddenly on the Deathstar again and finds a third one in the back of Palpatine’s throne? Did she Force go there or something?

She takes Rens ship after their fight on the planet with the crashed Death Star, the one Ren used is still on his ship]/spoiler]

• Upvote 1

Ah, of course. Silly me. 

Spoiler

I think the back window of his TIE interceptor or whatever is similar to the window behind the throne on the Death Star  

13 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Another question:

Hide contents

Spoiler

She took it from Kylo’s TIE Fighter, which she flew to Luke’s Island and then set on fire.

18 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Another question:

Hide contents

Spoiler

She steals Ren's TIE Fighter after the battle on the ruins of the Death Star and finds it attached to that. 

11 hours ago, drmick said:

Richard E Grant says at one point in the film that the Sith Fleet is 10,000 times bigger than the First Order.

That's 10,000 times bigger than the forces that have already conquered the ENTIRE galaxy.

All done in secret in an area as big as a Tesco car park. With navigational systems based on CB radios. Each has been given, in effect, a universe* destroying weapon, but they cannot raise shields in an atmosphere, and can't shoot anything at the same altitude.

All done with no issues of supply of funding, raw materials, fuel, skilled manpower, and unskilled labour. And none of the workforce, which had to be substantive, ever let slip any of this to other people in the galaxy.

* The Star Wars Universe as we know it.

Maybe it was an exaggeration, maybe it was true.  North Korea Is supposed to be skint and it’s people impoverished but has a huge army and Emperor Jong still gets his iMac’s and Bentley’s so it’s not completely unbelievable. 

Of all the nitpicking and criticism of this film - I think ‘why is some actor in it from other films or TV series that I’ve seen’ is the weirdest one.

• Upvote 3

11 hours ago, drmick said:

Genuine question: are we not doing spoilers any more, or what? Seems a bit odd that someone would be reading this topic without having seen it at this point.

But anyway:

Spoiler

I think the exact wording was something more to do with increasing their forces or power 10,000 fold. I understood that to be taking into account of the power of the Sith fleet rather than sheer numbers.

And then later on in the film he says some stuff about having always served Palpatine and served him as part of the old Empire, right? So maybe he was just taking shit earlier because the rest of the FO leadership were debating whether to join the space cultists or not.

But by that point, once you've accepted that Palp's frail body survived the death star explosion (and that a huge chunk of it survived as well), then you might as well just switch your brain off to the rest of it.

3 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

Genuine question: are we not doing spoilers any more, or what? Seems a bit odd that someone would be reading this topic without having seen it at this point.

But anyway:

Hide contents

I think the exact wording was something more to do with increasing their forces or power 10,000 fold. I understood that to be taking into account of the power of the Sith fleet rather than sheer numbers.

And then later on in the film he says some stuff about having always served Palpatine and served him as part of the old Empire, right? So maybe he was just taking shit earlier because the rest of the FO leadership were debating whether to join the space cultists or not.

I'm finding it weird how someone has gotten so wound up about a character just being billy big balls and exaggerating the extent of the Final Orders power.

Its akin to someone going, "this thing was 1000x better than that thing". It isn't literally 1000x better it's just an exaggerated number to make things sound more impressive.

4 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

But anyway:

Reveal hidden contents

Well, the poster had his lines written by a real life person. This real life person, if given the responsibility of not revealing spoilers, should at least apply some common sense first, and preferably, given the value of said franchise, apply high school level expertise to the reveal of the story.

Is that really too much to ask as a reader?

I want to enjoy the thread, but it doesn't help that every 10 minutes I find something inherently so stupid that a 15-year old could destroy as part of their GCSE comprehension.

1 hour ago, Ork1927 said:

Of all the nitpicking and criticism of this film - I think ‘why is some actor in it from other films or TV series that I’ve seen’ is the weirdest one.

I don’t think that’s representative of what I’m trying to say at all and I’ve explained why I feel that way. Having a very recognisable actor in it, as just an extra is confusing, because I’m sat there wondering if that extra is the guy from LOTR, and if so, has he been in the others? If not, why is he now basically an extra? Have times really been that hard since LOTR and Lost?

If the only reason for him being in it is: “he’s mates with JJ” then I don’t think that’s a good enough reason to have something kind of distracting in what is otherwise a very busy film, anyway. 

But it doesn’t make or break the film for me at all. I just thought it was odd. 

• Upvote 2

53 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Well, the poster had his lines written by a real life person. This real life person, if given the responsibility of not revealing spoilers, should at least apply some common sense first, and preferably, given the value of said franchise, apply high school level expertise to the reveal of the story.

Is that really too much to ask as a reader?

I want to enjoy the thread, but it doesn't help that every 10 minutes I find something inherently so stupid that a 15-year old could destroy as part of their GCSE comprehension.

The trailers made it obvious that there was a giant fleet to come into play in the finale. And also a Resistance fleet as well. Palpatine's appearance was also heavily telegraphed in the trailers- this might be a clue to the plot, I would have guessed. 

The existence of the fleet could only be considered a spoiler if you hadn't seen a trailer. The fleets' (plural) capability, well, that definitely spoiled the movie.

I agree with too many force ghosts. Do they just teach Qui-gon's trick to any cunt who has a whiff of Force Sensitivity? 

We heard Mace Windu speak. I'm sure he didn't disappear before his black ass crashed through the roof of Dex's Diner. Qui-gon told Yoda later on about it then he told Obi-wan.

That being said Anakin was at the end of ROTJ. He wouldn't have known how to do it.

In the word's of First Order Officer Eddie Hitler "Hey Ho, It's all a load o' bollocks!"

14 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I don’t think that’s representative of what I’m trying to say at all and I’ve explained why I feel that way. Having a very recognisable actor in it, as just an extra is confusing, because I’m sat there wondering if that extra is the guy from LOTR, and if so, has he been in the others? 

Who gives a fuck. Don Henderson and Johnny Briggs Dad were both in ANH. I'll bet nobody in 1977 was getting their knickers in a knot about it. Fuck sake.