rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

The bit before it all started

with the blooper footage of ANH

was good.

I know Sir Alec Guiness didn't like being in Star Wars but by golly he looks so unimpressed when the scene went wrong and Ford was messing about

First half was rubbish, retconning garbage that moved at an insane place and was basically just them coming up with a stupid reason to go somewhere, then getting chased by the bad guys the second they arrived. The second half was pretty good except for the emperor stuff, which was so fucking stupid.

All in, J.J. continues to be a terrible person to write any sort of explanation or conclusion. He’s great at setting up an intriguing plot, but give it to someone else to finish. I really hope all the people who didn’t like the last one and actually thought J.J. might have had any idea about what would happen in this one, or any plot ready for it, feel pretty stupid now.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

52 minutes ago, Thor said:

Yes, because everyone wants realism in movies with laser swords, floating rocks, and little green men. :coffee:

Exactly this. Magic and shit, and people complain about all sorts.

3 hours ago, kensei said:

The problem with Rose is where do you put her? The Finn love interest angle was rightly dropped - it came out of nowhere in TLJ with zero chemistry. Its already a busy film. I don't think there's in anything sinister in it, I suspect they didn't know what to do with her.

Wasn't Rose an engineer? They could have lost that weird space slug engineer on the Falcon and had her spend the film fixing the ship up every time they managed to prang it.

Feels more to me that someone decided that they had to keep her in to avoid looking like they were being discriminatory, but in the least meaningful role possible.

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Mawdlin said:

I thought it was funny when 

Hide contents

The Emporer offers Rey ultimate power. Essentially, "look at my surroundings - all this can be yours..." 

Spoiler

"What, the curtains?"

• Upvote 3

17 minutes ago, BossSaru said:

Wasn't Rose an engineer? They could have lost that weird space slug engineer on the Falcon and had her spend the film fixing the ship up every time they managed to prang it.

Feels more to me that someone decided that they had to keep her in to avoid looking like they were being discriminatory, but in the least meaningful role possible.

The slug dude was hardly in it. She'd have ended up as peripheral as she was in the film. Maybe you could have had her fix 3PO, but then you are losing a cool new character. 

Saw it at a midnight showing and thought it was a complete mess and was disappointed. Had second viewing today with the family and I liked it a lot more, I now reckon it’s a pretty decent end to the saga.

I still think it’s a backward step from TLJ but they can try some more interesting things now that this story has finished. 

• Upvote 2

41 minutes ago, Hamus said:

Exactly this. Magic and shit, and people complain about all sorts.

Richard E Grant says at one point in the film that the Sith Fleet is 10,000 times bigger than the First Order.

That's 10,000 times bigger than the forces that have already conquered the ENTIRE galaxy.

All done in secret in an area as big as a Tesco car park. With navigational systems based on CB radios. Each has been given, in effect, a universe* destroying weapon, but they cannot raise shields in an atmosphere, and can't shoot anything at the same altitude.

All done with no issues of supply of funding, raw materials, fuel, skilled manpower, and unskilled labour. And none of the workforce, which had to be substantive, ever let slip any of this to other people in the galaxy.

* The Star Wars Universe as we know it.

• Upvote 3

1 minute ago, drmick said:

Richard E Grant says at one point in the film that the Sith Fleet is 10,000 times bigger than the First Order.

*Further stuff*

Was it exactly 10,000 times as big? Or 9,999 times? Or was he just giving a bit of Billy bullshit to hype it up. 

If nothing is real or realistic in this whole thing, then why do you believe something said by a character.

The story was as bad as anything in the old EU novels, and the whole thing felt like it could easily have been lifted from one of them. That is, when it wasn't going out of its way to shit all over the previous film.

JJ is such a hack.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

6 minutes ago, drmick said:

and can't shoot anything at the same altitude.

They can shoot things at the same altitude but considering all the Last Order ships are at exactly the same altitude they'd end up shooting eachother. That's why Poe suggests that maneuver.

• Upvote 2

Considering Imperial shooting skills, they should try shooting at each other. They won’t hit each other and may accidentally shoot the resistance. 

• Upvote 4

I think it's the complete lack of cohesion between these movies that kind of ruins it for me. 

TFA was a decent, if safe, Star Wars movie with some interesting stuff setup for the remainder of the trilogy. TLJ was a completely different beast that purposefully subverted some of the plot points setup in the first film (not all bad by the way). RoS is a crazy minefield of a film that attempts to tie in the previous two movies rather unsuccessfully imo (I still enjoyed it either way, just a little disappointed).

Ultimately you can only blame Disney for this shambles and hope they plan better for any future trilogies they make in the Star Wars universe.

• Upvote 4

Loved it, thought it was great.  I could nitpick it to death (why didn’t lightspeed skipping cause a Hoddo incident,  what was the point of the Knights of Ren, just for two) but do you know what, none of it makes any difference to how much I enjoyed it.  I liked the ‘remembering that thing/time’ callbacks and by managing to go in cold I was surprised by the surprises.

So, yeah, came out happy and wanting to see it again, which is a good thing in my book.

• Upvote 7

1 hour ago, Ivanho said:

Loved it, thought it was great.  I could nitpick it to death (why didn’t lightspeed skipping cause a Hoddo incident,  what was the point of the Knights of Ren, just for two) but do you know what, none of it makes any difference to how much I enjoyed it.  I liked the ‘remembering that thing/time’ callbacks and by managing to go in cold I was surprised by the surprises.

So, yeah, came out happy and wanting to see it again, which is a good thing in my book.

darn tootin 

1 hour ago, hebejebe said:

Saw it at a midnight showing and thought it was a complete mess and was disappointed. Had second viewing today with the family and I liked it a lot more, I now reckon it’s a pretty decent end to the saga.

I still think it’s a backward step from TLJ but they can try some more interesting things now that this story has finished. 

Same! :D

I enjoyed this way more after a second viewing. The insane pacing didn't lend itself very well to a sleepy midnight showing, and I guess I was prepared for the sillier plot elements. The film could have been something much more interesting, but I really did enjoy it for what it was this time.

28 minutes ago, sid said:

Chewys medal though lmfao

I loved that. I'm sure they had plans for Leia to give it to him which would have made much more sense, but obviously they couldn't.

3 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

Hide contents

She reflects back his force lightning meaning he effectively kills himself. 

The Windu manoeuvre. 

Spoiler

Rey Windu

• Upvote 4