rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

44 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Did anyone else spot the brief cameo by 

Reveal hidden contents

Wedge Antilles? I only recognised him as I’d recently seen the episode of Inside No. 9 that he was in.

almost as good as Last Christmas

Spoiler

Andrew Wrigley in the last scene

11 minutes ago, Nick R said:

I wouldn't have recognised that person; where were they?

Do you even Star Wars, bro? ;)

• Upvote 1

36 minutes ago, MardiganX said:
  Hide contents

One thing that bothered me that carried over from TLJ is WTF happened to Luke’s green saber. Feel they missed a trick not having Ben be given that at the end, but happy to be advised why that wasn’t a possibility :)

Yes, that bothered me too!

Spoiler

Anakin’s blue sabre is destroyed in TLJ, and Rey says at the start of this she’s not worthy of using Luke’s sabre (the sabre Luke made between Empire and Jedi has a green blade). But the sabre she’s training with is blue. And then later the flashback shows a young Luke and Leia training, one with a blue blade, the other green. Rey takes both of these to Exogol, but they’re both blue!

So was Anakin’s sabre not destroyed in TLJ? Or at least was that retconned in this new film? And what did ever happen to Luke’s green sabre? Maybe he just hoyed it into the sea as soon as he got to Ach-To.

8 minutes ago, Pob said:

Yes, that bothered me too!

Hide contents

Anakin’s blue sabre is destroyed in TLJ, and Rey says at the start of this she’s not worthy of using Luke’s sabre (the sabre Luke made between Empire and Jedi has a green blade). But the sabre she’s training with is blue. And then later the flashback shows a young Luke and Leia training, one with a blue blade, the other green. Rey takes both of these to Exogol, but they’re both blue!

So was Anakin’s sabre not destroyed in TLJ? Or at least was that retconned in this new film? And what did ever happen to Luke’s green sabre? Maybe he just hoyed it into the sea as soon as he got to Ach-To.

Anakin’s saber was repaired - you can see some sort of metal band round where it split in TLJ. I think they talked about it in the run up to the movie. Presumably the bit where it’s repaired is either on the cutting room floor, or in some tie-in comic or book. Rey takes the Anakin saber and Leia’s saber to Exogol. Don’t know where Luke’s green saber is though.

I can imagine a fan edit of TLJ to better link it to this film:

Spoiler

After Leia says "we have everything we need", instead of cutting to the Disney kiddies, switch to just a tiny bit of footage of Palpatine's lair, with a close up of him smiling. Then credits roll. 

Arguably a bit too 'Marvel' that, but it would work. 

If I could be arsed, I'd have a go at a fan edit of TLJ, removing most of the Canto Bight stuff. But I'm veering off topic now. 

1 hour ago, MardiganX said:
  Reveal hidden contents

See I actually took it as meaning Ben as much as Rey. I get that’s a little bit of stretch given he technically a Solo but still, works tenuously well for both of them.

On reflection I really wish there was more made of the Rey and Ben joining forces thing, especially since we didnt actually get to see them face the Emperor together as Ben just gets conveniently sidelined so Rey can do her thing.

Suppose it goes back to this finale having so much to do and as a result the key plot points feel a little rushed. 

One thing that bothered me that carried over from TLJ is WTF happened to Luke’s green saber. Feel they missed a trick not having Ben be given that at the end, but happy to be advised why that wasn’t a possibility :)

Spoiler

I think he lost in in the last jedi flash back when Ben raged at him

24 minutes ago, Jammy said:
  Hide contents

Anakin’s saber was repaired - you can see some sort of metal band round where it split in TLJ. I think they talked about it in the run up to the movie. Presumably the bit where it’s repaired is either on the cutting room floor, or in some tie-in comic or book. Rey takes the Anakin saber and Leia’s saber to Exogol. Don’t know where Luke’s green saber is though.

On that note...

spacer.png

1 hour ago, Dirty Harry Potter said:

On that note...

spacer.png

Looking at Reddit, this seems to have superseded "Hello there!" and "Did you ever hear the tragedy of Darth Plagueis the wise?" as the ubiquitous Star Wars meme of the moment.

Edit: Someone on r/prequelmemes pointed out that...

Spoiler

Rey buries Anakin's lightsaber in the SAND :omg:

• Upvote 3

The first half hour of this movie is JJ writing out TLJ, and replacing it with his own ideas. You could almost skip TLJ entirely. It’s jarring and necessitates lots of shortcuts be made later to give the story the gravitas it needs.

Whilst the core arcs for Rey and Kylo are strong, they salvaged some great character moments, everyone else flounders, and the cameos destroy the pace and tone. Characters do things for fan service rather than plot. Besides Adam Driver, the cast acted like they were about to goof off and burst into laughter after every line. The finale was anti-climatic. JJ brings back all the faults of TFA but even more intrusive, verging on fan fiction.

This felt like an apology for TLJ... and I didn’t like TLJ, but what this did wasn’t any better.

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Pug said:
  Hide contents

I think the title is a bit of a stretch. She only decided to call herself Skywalker at the end when some passing old dear asked her what her name was. I guess using her real name wouldn't go down well with the neighbours.

I thought that was as much a reference to Ben as it was to Rey. [\spoiler]

Enjoyed it enough, but it should have been so much more. The fan service is ridiculous, and is so unsubtle at times that it just takes you out of the film.

overall it just highlighted to me how much of a better director RJ is than JJ.

• Upvote 7

I think overall I'm disappointed with this. 

Spoiler

It has its moments for sure and I felt like it's genuinely been made in the spirit of not completely disregarding TLJ, whilst drawing its own conclusions but it is very messy as a result.

I think it's at its strongest when it expands on the best aspects of TLJ (Rey and Rens force connection and adding in new force powers for example) but at its worst when reminiscent of the prequel films (echoing lines in a ham fisted 'its poetry, it rhymes' way)

The Kylo Ren redemption works well but ultimately is the reason a new villian needs drafting in and the resurrection of Palpatine is extremely weak, leading to a final confrontation that just feels a bit lame.

The retconn of Rey's parentage is as unsatisfying and empty as the tease of her lineage was in the first film (a pointlessly unfulfillable twist harking back to 'I am your father')

• Upvote 3

It was, yeah, okay? It absolutely hated every decision TLJ made, and absolutely threw the kitchen sink at it. 

Passed my most important check

Spoiler

No fucking grey jedi

and it had good things

Spoiler

Rey and Kylo's characters arcs were strong. My opinion going in was that redemption for Kylo wasn't on, but was okay with it and it correctly killed him off to avoid awkward spin off media about The Space Hague. It also made Rey feel realistically vulnerable for the first time in three films. 

It also kept the core cast together. Their likeability is what drove TFA, and splitting then up really harmed TLJ. 

Felt that

Spoiler

It was unfortunate they needed Palaptine. I think it would have been better if TLJ had set Snoke up for the role. Or maybe did the groundwork for Palaptine. Once they weren't going all in on bad Kylo, they needed a rollout big bag to go up against. 

Knights of Ren were similar. Ben Solo fighting them could have been far more impactful if they the characters had been teed up. 

But it did what it needed. Obviously filled with a boatload of absolute nonsense that I would nitpick to death if I hated it. But the pace and likeability glosses over a lot. 

Also clearly hurt by Carrie Fisher passing, it was obvious that arc was going to be a lot more developed. 

• Upvote 3

Just back from the cinema and thoroughly enjoyed that. I have enjoyed the cinema experience of the Disney era films and that was a good way to end them.  

Oh and one thing I did like but I could see people not liking 

Spoiler

Palps force lightening.

I took it as the Sith settling on a planet where they could use the force lightening to devastating effect because of all the clouds and stuff, rather than Palpatine just having innate Godlike power. 

• Upvote 1

I’m really not sure what I think of this. In many ways it’s just a big, messy, noisy, Star Wars themed ride. But at the same time it does so much right. Ironically it’s very much like The Last Jedi in that the central arc between Rey and Ben is brilliantly done. But it’s busy in a bad way, and more reminiscent of ROTS than ROTJ in the way it flits from place to place. And I really didn’t like Emperor PalpBorgQueen at all.

But but but. That central arc really is brilliant. I was utterly captivated by Rey and Ben, and the expected intervention from Luke and completely unexpected intervention from Han were both perfect. All the force stuff was fantastic and even though it was total fan service I absolutely loved all the Jedi voices.

I need to see it again, obviously.

• Upvote 5

Don’t want to be too negative, but.....

Chewbacca getting the medal was the lamest thing ever in a Star Wars film. They might as well have turned and winked at the camera.

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

On the whole TLJ progression theme...

Spoiler

Did everyone pick up the lines about the Holdo manoeuvre near the start? Merry or Pippin (can’t remember which one he is) says something like ‘we need to pull off some Holdo Manouvres’ and a voice in the background, probably JJ begind the camera, says more or less ‘fuck off mate, that was one in a million and don’t talk shite’.

It was quite jarring given all the backlash that particular moment in the TLJ received.

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, mechamonkey said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think he lost in in the last jedi flash back when Ben raged at him

Spoiler

Well that seems like a bit of a jump as we see nothing of the saber after Ben spazzes out to suggest it has been lost / destroyed.

And on the Knights of Ren

Spoiler

What a brilliantly set up band of misfits, ignored for an entire movie and then dumped back in TROS and pretty much wasted.

Again, with a coherent trilogy the Knights, the hand they clearly played in Ben rising as Kylo and developing them to be more than just fodder for Ben to cut down at the end could have been fanastic.

• Upvote 1

Yep, as much as I like a lot of TLJ, we'll always be wondering what could have been if JJ did all of them. 

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Going to see it tomorrow. 

More importantly, was the Tenet extended trailer shown beforehand for anyone that's seen it?

I saw it. It's like a cut scene from The Dark Knight/Rises. All BWAAAAP music and people in black running around. Impressive but basically the bank/plane intros from Dark Knight/Rises in an opera house.

That wasn't as bad as I'd feared. Not great but definitely some nice Star Wars feels. It's just a shame they didn't have this trilogy hammered out better before cameras rolled. The new trilogy actors are a likeable bunch and with some better planning they could have smashed the new Disney era, instead we got three films held together with Scotch tape but with some nice stuff dotted about.

At one point when Rey got to the

Spoiler

fallen Death Star's throne room to find her battling herself with a red lightsaber, I honestly thought JJ was saying that she had an evil twin all along, and that was the reason she and Ben kept having visions of Rey as an all powerful sith.

:facepalm:

Also, at the end I thought

Spoiler

Lando's

final line to the young rebel sounded pretty creepy :(

It wasn't great. I'm still undecided, but the thing I disliked the most 

Spoiler

was the retcon of who Rey's parents were. For all of The Last Jedi's faults, I loved that Rey was a nobody. It expanded the universe away from a couple of families who can save the galaxy and proved anyone could be a Jedi. And then they undid the whole thing here by having her be related to Palpatine. Such an awful decision. The story wouldn't have changed one bit if she was still a nobody. 

My initial opinion is it's the poorest of the three new ones and Rogue One is still the highlight of the Disney Star Wars films. I'll need to give it some more thought before I can figure out exactly where I place it. 

• Upvote 9

Yeah the reveal of

Rey’s lineage felt a bit desperate and shoehorned.

I didn’t care much for it, I was like oh ok this stuff again yawn.

And I keep thinking how much better Rey could have been,

if played by Jodie Comer.

6 hours ago, kensei said:

Hide contents

It was unfortunate they needed Palaptine. I think it would have been better if TLJ had set Snoke up for the role. Or maybe did the groundwork for Palaptine. Once they weren't going all in on bad Kylo, they needed a rollout big bag to go up against. 

Spoiler

Honestly, bringing back Palpatine was a good decision I thought, and ties it all together, but they absolutely should have revealed this in The Last Jedi.

Obviously, nobody knew they’d be bringing him back then, but if it had been planned better, that’s what would have happened.

Ren’s scene at the beginning of this should have been somewhere near the end of TLJ, which itself could have been about a hunt for the Sith Wayfinder. Then ROS could have started two or three MacGuffins deep into the story, with some time for each sequence to breathe.

One thing I really loved, near the end:

Spoiler

When Rey passes the lightsaber to Ren, and his little shrug after he pulls it out. Lovely moment from Adam Driver, that. He was the best thing about this series by far.

• Upvote 8

7 hours ago, grindmouse said:

The first half hour of this movie is JJ writing out TLJ, and replacing it with his own ideas. 

Which is what Johnson did in the first place and where all the madness began.

• Upvote 1

On reflection, there was a lot to like here. The pace was crazy, but it certainly held my interest. Babu Frik was awesome, I want to see it again for him alone.

Having now seen all 3 films in the trilogy now, I agree with the posters that say they should have been better planned out. Stuff that happened in this should have happened, or been alluded to in TLJ, or even TFA. I like that TLJ was slower and smaller in scope, focusing on character arcs, but the contrast is a bit much when compared to this and it meant this one had a bit much to do in the run-time.

25 minutes ago, NickC said:

On reflection, there was a lot to like here. The pace was crazy, but it certainly held my interest. Babu Frik was awesome, I want to see it again for him alone.

I loved all of the new characters, creatures, droids and locations in this. One of its strong points, for sure :D

Some of the early adventuring would have been better placed in TLJ, while Rey was training with Luke.