rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

Reading this interview with one of the writers really hammers home how they’ve just made this up as they went along

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/19/star-wars-rise-skywalker-writers-challenged-rian-johnsons-last-jedi-11934160/?ito=amp-tag-post-strip-item-1

‘Rian really set a challenge for us by saying the best good guy for many people, Luke Skywalker, is gone,’ Chris admitted to Metro.co.uk at the European premiere of the movie. ‘And the worst bad guy of this trilogy, who is Snoke, is gone. ‘So now how do you how do you carry on? But we thought that the answer was actually right in the material that George [Lucas] had written. ‘Palpatine, who corrupted Anakin in the first place, he began this story, and and Palpatine talked about certain unnatural ways of carrying on after death. ‘And so we thought you put those two things together, and you have the beginnings of the story.’

so yeah, they basically had nothing else to go with and just decided to make up that Palpatine’s not really dead. 

• Empathy 1

I've skipped all the reviews and the last few pages of this thread. My initial impression was generally positive, and I'm pretty satisfied (partly because a few cryptic non-spoilery impressions had led me to reduce my expectations). I suspect that time will show a lot of what I liked will be shallow fan-service crowd pleasers that won't stand up to rewatches, but at the moment I'm trying not to dwell on that.

Here are the main things that stuck out to me, before I catch up with this thread, let the inevitable Hate Flow Through Me, and I end up Saltier Than Crait...

Liked:

Spoiler

The core group of Rey, Finn, Poe, Chewie, C3PO and BB-8 aboard the Falcon. I really liked their treasure hunt quest, and the planets they visited.

I liked the two new allies they met as well (the woman from Poe's past, and the other First Order deserter) - though not enough to remember their names!

The two action sequences aboard Kylo Ren's ship: the blaster shootout to rescue Chewbacca is one of the best gunfights in the series. Also liked the Rey/Kylo saber fight in that white Vader Helmet Museum - probably the most striking set in the movie.

"Bendemption" was handled satisfyingly well. So was the unexpected "Huxdemption" ("Huxtrayal"?)

Rey's Jedi training at the start. (Her introduction - meditating, legs crossed with rocks orbiting - was so very Avatar Aang...)

Hey, Leia had Jedi training! Cool!

Dismissed Snoke's origins - and tied up other loose ends - about as well as they could, IMO.

However many dump trucks full of money they drove to Harrison Ford's house, IT WAS WORTH IT.

Given the prominence of Force ghosts (and how much more they interacted with the physical world than ever before - Yoda's lightning in TLJ; Luke catching the lightsaber here), and the first line of the opening crawl, I really strongly thought that the film was going to end up with Rey leading an army of Jedi Force ghosts against the Emperor. Yoda, Luke, Hayden!Anakin, Obi-Wan, Rear Windu, Qui-Gon... now an all-star army like that would have been really similar to Endgame! So I hoped they wouldn't do it, and I'm glad they avoided it by limiting themselves to just the voices. That decision was about the only thing in the climax that could be described as "restrained".

Disliked:

Spoiler

No "Duel of the Fates" in the Emperor lightning bit. :( At one point it sounded like the chanting might have been the lyrics, but they never brought in the full melody. Really expected it to come blasting out at the lightning/crossed sabers bit! 

So is the Sith a whole species, not just a label for Anti-Jedi? Is that who all the figures in the audience were?

The Emperor's Secret Fleet Of Planet Destroying Star Destroyers versus the Resistance's ragtag Dunkirk rescuers - the philosophy was clearly MORE IS MORE! And just like TLJ's Crait battle, our heroes demonstrated Pirates of the Caribbean levels of survivability amid the mayhem.

Rose and Maz getting sidelined. :(

Nothing that could have been done about this, but given my knowledge of Carrie Fisher's death, it really stuck out to me that her dialogue was made up of generic unused alternate lines that could have been used in many situations.

After wussing out on killing Chewbacca, they should have let the C3PO memory wipe stick.

I know we were warned by "The dead speak!" in the opening crawl, but... everybody gets their own personal Force Ghost (or at least memory) to chat to! And on that subject...

"A Jedi's weapon deserves more respect!" Character development for Luke, or a dig at Rian Johnson?

Yes, OK, you're sci-fi fans; you don't always have to pick "42" when you have to come up a random number. (See also: Into the Spider-Verse.) EDIT: 42 years is the period between 1977 and 2019 - the span over which Anthony Daniels has played the character - so I'll choose to believe it was a reference to that instead of to Hitchhiker's.

Stuff I was suspicious of but ended up OK with:

Spoiler

The new Force powers: the healing seemed like it could be another case of J J Abrams' Magic Blood, but I was fine with it in the end. The object teleporting also paid off well, with the lightsaber swap.

One question about a detail that people have probably already mentioned:

Spoiler

Was that a Doctor Who Sontaran on the right of the screen when they went into the workshop to get C3PO's memory extracted?

Right, now to catch up with the thread...

• Upvote 2

Every time I see a goddamn spoiler tag I am itching to hit it, only 24hrs before I see it.

Rewatched both Ep 7 and 8 in prep last couple of nights and I find I have grown to appreciate both films more since I last saw them ages back.

I still prefer TFA overall but I do like how they explore the Rey/Kylo relationship in TLJ and the Grumpy Master Luke stuff with Rey is great, wish we got more of that. Still find the whole ship chase stuff oddly paced and Idiot Poe/Holdo (plus the weird sacrifice of a character we barely get to know) is still irritating. The less said about Canto and the furry horse elves the better.

Any way, roll on this time tomorrow!

Oh yeah one other thing I really liked, and I think we can all agree on:

Spoiler

Although I was disappointed by the absence of Duel of the Fates, I can't praise John Williams enough. :wub:

I loved the particular versions of the theme used when the support fleet arrive, and one that turned up towards the end of the credits. And who knew that Rey's Theme - always so delicate in the past - would turn out to be such a great accompaniment for action scenes?

• Upvote 2

46 minutes ago, gone fishin' said:

Reading this interview with one of the writers really hammers home how they’ve just made this up as they went along

https://metro.co.uk/2019/12/19/star-wars-rise-skywalker-writers-challenged-rian-johnsons-last-jedi-11934160/?ito=amp-tag-post-strip-item-1

so yeah, they basically had nothing else to go with and just decided to make up that Palpatine’s not really dead. 

Reminder: The writer is the noted scribe who brought us Batman v Superman: Dawn of Justice and Justice League.

• Upvote 6
  • Empathy 1

I did think at one point that the new vehicle / stormtrooper / Kylo Ren / rebel outfit designers didn't really earn their money...

Spoiler

"Red. Let's just add red to everything."

Not sure it has been mentioned yet but 

Spoiler

The whole “I am all the Sith.... and I am all the Jedi” was a complete copy paste from Tony’s finger snap in Endgame. It really detracted from what should have been an epic moment for me as that was all I could think of.

That and a few other things aside I loved it. As others have said it is almost crippled by its desire to reset certain things from TLJ but has some truly incredible scenes and character moments.

Wow... they really went to town on this one, huh?

It’s not a great film by any stretch but I actually found it pretty entertaining for the most part, with nothing jarring but if I think about any of it for too long it’ll probably all fall apart.

Spoiler

Was two films in one, wasn’t it? Really, really hectic pace throughout.

Visually stunning, great score but so frenetic that anything new barely got time to breathe.

I feel okay about Palpatine’s role now, having previously doubted his inclusion. It just about fits, and ties all three trilogies together some more, even if that knot is fairly loose.

Kylo and Rey got some good time together, and the continuation of their force projections work well.

A few too many, ‘ooh, we got you there didn’t we!’ moments, some, like Chewie’s ‘death’ just felt mischievous rather than coherent.

That said, felt satisfied by the end. Much more so than with TLJ. Want to watch Rise again, although unsure if a second viewing will highlight more negatives.

• Upvote 2

Spoiler

I think the title is a bit of a stretch. She only decided to call herself Skywalker at the end when some passing old dear asked her what her name was. I guess using her real name wouldn't go down well with the neighbours.

• Upvote 2

Just got back now. I liked it! Anyone else seen both this and The Mandalorian this week? Spoilers:

Spoiler

Baby Yoda beat the film to the Force Heal reveal by a whole entire day! I have a sneaking suspicion the TV production staff switched broadcast days to do that deliberately :D

I enjoyed it :)

It’s a bit of a mess, and it’s silly in places, even for Star Wars, but I found more than enough to like. The performances, particularly from Adam Driver, were fantastic.

In a way, it gets right everything The Last Jedi got wrong, but gets wrong everything that The Last Jedi got right :lol:

Spoiler

I loved seeing the crew fly around together from place to place, on an adventure. Some of this should have been in The Last Jedi. The creature designs and effects were superb, and I loved the new locations.

The pace was relentless, but not in a good way, and a lot of the McGuffin-chasing should have been cut out to give it time to breathe. It felt rushed, and there was just no need to cram so much in.

And it’s a shame the final showdown doesn’t quite match up to Ren vs Luke at the end of TLJ, but I had no problem with bringing Palpatine back, and the reveal of who Rey was.

So overall, the trilogy isn’t as good as the original trilogy, it’s far, far better than the prequel trilogy, and it’s an enjoyable series of films in its own right. It’s just a shame it wasn’t all planned out from the beginning.

• Upvote 7

41 minutes ago, Pug said:
  Reveal hidden contents

I think the title is a bit of a stretch. She only decided to call herself Skywalker at the end when some passing old dear asked her what her name was. I guess using her real name wouldn't go down well with the neighbours.

Spoiler

See I actually took it as meaning Ben as much as Rey. I get that’s a little bit of stretch given he technically a Solo but still, works tenuously well for both of them.

On reflection I really wish there was more made of the Rey and Ben joining forces thing, especially since we didnt actually get to see them face the Emperor together as Ben just gets conveniently sidelined so Rey can do her thing.

Suppose it goes back to this finale having so much to do and as a result the key plot points feel a little rushed. 

One thing that bothered me that carried over from TLJ is WTF happened to Luke’s green saber. Feel they missed a trick not having Ben be given that at the end, but happy to be advised why that wasn’t a possibility :)

I really enjoyed after sleeping on it.
This isnt your 40+ old man film any more, its for the kids growing up with THIER heroes, if anything the old cast made it drag a bit.
I just left my predjudice and expectations at the door and enjoyed a great sci fi action movie

• Upvote 4

17 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Going to see it tomorrow. 

More importantly, was the Tenet extended trailer shown beforehand for anyone that's seen it?

Not for me, though it is released online now

I tell you what, Disney can't half bring the cute. It may have disappeared almost entirely from their animated films of the last decade, but every puppet character in this universe that's supposed to be charming and adorable - from Babu Frik to D-0 to 'The Child' - really, really is! 

• Upvote 1

19 minutes ago, RYAN WHITELAW said:

Going to see it tomorrow. 

More importantly, was the Tenet extended trailer shown beforehand for anyone that's seen it?

Yes! They showed the full opening scene (I assume?) in IMAX format at the Printworks Manchester.

I'd just like to mention that seeing this at the IMAX with the newly-fitted Laser projector in Manchester was phenomenal. The picture was gorgeous, bright, and pin-sharp.

34 minutes ago, LowCostMonkey said:

Did anyone else spot the brief cameo by 

Hide contents

Wedge Antilles? I only recognised him as I’d recently seen the episode of Inside No. 9 that he was in.

I wouldn't have recognised that person; where were they?

Spoiler

There was a prominent shot of someone's face immediately after the Resistance fleet come to the rescue (I think in the gunner seat on the Falcon?) but I thought that was Anthony Daniels out of C-3PO costume?