rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

4 hours ago, Festoon said:

Still fascinated that Abrams crafted a whole film to meet the tastes of internet moaners, even to the bonkers extent that it required rewriting or ignoring the previous film, and writing out characters they didn't like. So healthy 

It's where the art/product line starts to not so much blur as be smeared all over with bantha shit.

• Upvote 1

i dont think the problems were the fault of the directors at all. a director is to direct  everything on set. the problems stem from Disney going "LETS DO STAR WARS NOWWWWW" rather than having a fucking cohesive 3 movie story plan vetted by actual decent authors. not screenwriters, authors. then passed to great screenwriters, then given to diretors and said "this is what you're to do"

i hated the last jedi vehemently. At the time i blamed RJ for this. pissing on what our generation held dear. And that's true, that's what happened. Tried to get in a new generation of fans, start afresh, but kids dont give a fuck about Star Wars. proof being that they even tried to have star wars in their faces via the medium of fucking fortnite! "please we're relevent, we want you to spend money on star wars again!" Alas, its the 30+ year old hardcore that should have the money and keep buying collectibles, special editions, toys, teeshirts, lightsabers etc. not the kids.

However it ISNT the fault of RJ, JJ etc, it's soley Disney's fault for going into this so fucking halfbaked with minimal effort and a "it's star wars! it cant fail!"  attitude as though they fucking forgot what Lucas' prequels were like. The prequels were the product of one man who wasnt told to stop. The modern sequels are a product of no plan. 

I'm sorry RJ. I blamed you for the shit show that was TLJ.  I don't excuse The Last Jedi however, but Disney, you're a bunch of cunts. How fucking hard can this be? You had no story, no rule, noone going "wait this isnt the plan" they treated every movie like it was a random seperate installment of the MCU. I have no interest in Star Wars now. After living and breathing it for 30 something years, the magic, the thing that made it special to me has gone.

I won't be seeing this movie in the cinema. Thanks Disney.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 12
  • Empathy 1

Just got of the cinema. Trying to work out if my negative feelings are really just stemming from the fact that 2 morons I was sat next to felt the need to give a loud running commentary from trailers to credits. 

I’m trying to decide if I liked it or not. I don’t think I did. 

I really wish there was a way to definitively understand why different Star Wars fans like different things because I find it absolutely fascinating. 

I personally love all the movies to one degree or another. I can of course see that they’re far from perfect but it just doesn’t seem to matter to me. I just love being in that universe with those characters and none of the faults seem to matter to me. 

And yet, while I really really enjoyed The Clone Wars and Rebels overall, I gave up on Resistance before the end of the first season and The Mandalorian, something that most fans seem to really really like I’ve found pretty mediocre at best and frankly rubbish for the majority of episodes. 

• Upvote 2

1 hour ago, Strafe said:

The entire theme I got from TLJ was

Reveal hidden contents

Let the past go, move on, the Jedi are a bit rubbish and you have all put too much faith in Rey being a meaningful character etc etc and then it turns out she is very meaningful, the Jedi are everything and all the past we were supposed to let go of is actually very important and has been leading up to this point.

It felt pretty retconned.

Also, given how Palpatine can electrify an entire fleet of thousands (tens of thousands?) of ships I don’t see why he needed to reincarnate/merge himself into Rey for much. He seems a lot more powerful now.

Also, designing star destroyers to basically have a huge stick of dynamite on the underside seemed a bit of a design flaw.

A lot of the plot felt built around using cut scenes of Carrie Fisher in the last film to make it work, rather than dedicated dialogue.

Spoiler

My take on that was that Rey and Ren we're trying to define themselves by their past, whereas their meaning and ultimate redemption was only open to them when they let go of that. For the first half of this trilogy Rey desperately wants to know what her "place is in this story" is, but when her place was revealed she was strong enough to reject it. Likewise Ren felt it was his birthright to rule the galaxy, but again he to had to move past that to find his ultimate peace.

On your second point, Palpatine could barely raise a spark until he stole the combined power of Ray and Ren. He didn't realise he could do that until they were both together.

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, MechE said:
  Hide contents

My take on that was that Rey and Ren we're trying to define themselves by their past, whereas their meaning and ultimate redemption was only open to them when they let go of that. For the first half of this trilogy Rey desperately wants to know what her "place is in this story" is, but when her place was revealed she was strong enough to reject it. Likewise Ren felt it was his birthright to rule the galaxy, but again he to had to move past that to find his ultimate peace.

On your second point, Palpatine could barely raise a spark until he stole the combined power of Ray and Ren. He didn't realise he could do that until they were both together.

Yeah on that second bit, missed that.

I don't know why people are clinging to the "internet trolls" narrative.

Disney with it's last earning results put out a survey that said public interest in Star Wars was back to the level before TFA. That's not explainable by a small internet minority who seem louder than they are, but points to a much wider disinterest in the wake of TLJ, one backed up by all the teasers and trailers getting ten million less views, or the opening weekend tracking much lower.

Solo can't have done that harm, because no fucker saw it.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 2

9 minutes ago, Matt Defis said:

Just got out seeing it with @cassidy it was pretty much on par with the other 2 movies in this trilogy I'd say, better than the prequels but not as good as the originals. 

Not arguing with that review. 

I eagerly await the eventual leak of whatever George's rejected story treatments were for 7, 8 and 9 because, as much as love some of the new character's that have been introduced by the new sequels, the overall story* is just not very good. The Prequel's execution was god awful but you cannot say that there was not a cohesive story for them. 

* I have not yet seen Rise of Skywalker but from all I've read I am not expecting it to wrap up the new trilogy in a great manner.

• Upvote 3

5 hours ago, RubberJohnny said:

I don't know why people are clinging to the "internet trolls" narrative.

Disney with it's last earning results put out a survey that said public interest in Star Wars was back to the level before TFA. That's not explainable by a small internet minority who seem louder than they are, but points to a much wider disinterest in the wake of TLJ, one backed up by all the teasers and trailers getting ten million less views, or the opening weekend tracking much lower.

Solo can't have done that harm, because no fucker saw it.

whynotboth.gif

3 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

I eagerly await the eventual leak of whatever George's rejected story treatments were for 7, 8 and 9

From what I’ve seen of those treatments (there have been bits leaked over the years) they certainly took ideas and locations from them.

5 hours ago, Mogster said:

We'll, I really like The Force Awakens and I love The Last Jedi. I didn't like this. :(

I want to give it a second watch at a sensible hour before making my mind up, but I thought it was a clunky, badly paced mess.

MAJOR SPOILERS FOLLOW!

Hide contents

It really did feel like it was trying to cram a whole new trilogy's worth of plot into one movie. Rey's heritage should have been revealed in TLJ to give it time to sink in, and it didn't really make a difference anyway. 

The use of Leia felt very weird. It was technically impressive, but it felt a bit like one of those comedy supercuts.

Ren's turn to the light felt really naff, and Solo's cameo felt really heavy handed.

A lot of the action felt messy, not least the lightsaber fights which Abrams aced in TLJ. The last battle felt really disappointing, and where on earth did Lando find all those ships so quickly? His arse?

And then there's Palpatine. I thought he was rubbish in this, and Rey was able to defeat him by... holding two lightsabers and slowly walking towards him. There was none of the conflict and anger that made ROTJ's equivalent so powerful.

This was probably tiredness talking, but I left the cinema wandering if I'd rate this below any of the prequels.

I'm of a similar mind. It might rate below Revenge of the Sith for me. Meanwhile The Last Jedi has vaulted into fourth place of the nine main films.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2
  • Empathy 1

5 minutes ago, Glasgowchivas said:

Any sources?

https://www.independent.co.uk/arts-entertainment/films/news/george-lucas-star-wars-episode-7-8-9-microorganisms-disney-whills-midchlorians-a8398606.html

The 74-year-old has been particularly coy when talking about his vision for the sequel trilogy. Last year, though, an accompanying art book for The Last Jedi revealed some initial sketches that Lucas had made for the sequel trilogy, including artwork that saw Luke Skywalker training a new disciple, named Kira, on a secluded planet very reminiscent of Ach-To.

• Upvote 1

So after just a single viewing and off the top of my head this is my ranking...

1. The Empire Strikes Back

2. A New Hope

3. The Return of the Jedi

4. The Rise of Skywalker

5. The Force Awakens

6. The Last Jedi

7. Rogue One

8. The Revenge of the Sith

9. The Phantom Menace

10. Attack of the Clones

11. Solo

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

Had the day to think about exactly why it appealed to me, so here are my thoughts.

Spoiler

I think that all the major characters' story arcs were good - right the way through. Rey, Finn, Poe, Ren. 4 good characters, 4 very different characters, 4 pretty cool journeys. By the end, I feel that they have all redeemed themselves somewhat.

Rey fulfilled her destiny and ensured the Jedi live on.

Poe - the hot headed pilot - had to face his demons, had a major low during TLJ but ended up as the leader and hero of the resistance.

Similarly Finn - he had to fight for everything he now has.

Ren - although I'd have liked to have seen more of him before he turned to the dark side, I thought the way he turned back was good. A bit Lilly/Harry Potter-esque maybe with Leia sacrificing herself but it worked for me.

I think it did fall down slightly with trying to pack so much in, it was relentless from start to finish. TLJ would have been improved with a cliffhanger showing Palpatine's return, which would also have helped the pace of this one. 

I liked the return of Palpatine though TBH - the final battle was immense and as a fan of the new novels, it tied some loose ends up very well (The Aftermath trilogy for example). That also meant I was absolutely gutted when Snap died :(

But the main thing for me is that it really did feel like a Star Wars movie. The sets, the sabers, the space battles - rip roaring good fun.

I thought the running time flew by which is always a sign of an entertaining film.

I fully expect this thread to run for years and years with vastly opposing viewpoints. That's fine - that's why we're all here. But I'm on the 'thumbs up' side for sure! 

Looking forward to a 2nd viewing as soon as I get chance! 

• Upvote 3

On 18/12/2019 at 10:02, Boothjan said:

Empire Strikes Back - 5/5

A New Hope - 4.5/5

Rogue One - 4.5/5

The Force Awakens - 4/5

Rise of Skywalker - 4/5

Return of the Jedi - 4/5

The Last Jedi - 3.5/5

Solo - 3.5/5

Revenge of the Sith - 2.5/5

Phantom Menace - 2/5

Attack of the Clones - 1.5/5

Updated - cant really decide between  RoS and RotJ. 

Watched Rogue One on ITV the other night, it's really, really terrible isn't it?  Just a whole 2 hours of nothingness, characters you basically don't know or care about in a story that means nothing.  I'd put it below the prequels in a top ten.  The prequels might be shit, but at least they serve to tell the story George Lucas wanted to tell and make some sense in the overall scheme of things - Rogue One isn't... anything, is it?

• Upvote 5
  • Downvote 16
  • Empathy 2

Quite enjoyed this.  Some good bits, some unnecessary bits and over totally messy.  Certainly not the RoTJ retread I was worried about though.

Not sure I have any desire to watch it again though.

Spoiler

When exactly was Palpatine sowing his wild oats?  And with who?  Rey's parents look far too young. 

2 hours ago, Nicky said:

i dont think the problems were the fault of the directors at all. a director is to direct  everything on set. the problems stem from Disney going "LETS DO STAR WARS NOWWWWW"

There were two years between the announcement of the Disney deal and the start of filming TFA. Hardly a rush job.

5 minutes ago, dumpster said:

Watched Rogue One on ITV the other night, it's really, really terrible isn't it?  Just a whole 2 hours of nothingness, characters you basically don't know or care about in a story that means nothing.  I'd put it below the prequels in a top ten.  The prequels might be shit, but at least they serve to tell the story George Lucas wanted to tell and make some sense in the overall scheme of things - Rogue One isn't... anything, is it?

I thought Rogue One was fantastic. It also filled in the biggest plot hole of the franchise - why make a Death Star that can be blown up through an exhaust port?

• Upvote 7

5 minutes ago, monkeydog said:

Quite enjoyed this.  Some good bits, some unnecessary bits and over totally messy.  Certainly not the RoTJ retread I was worried about though.

Not sure I have any desire to watch it again though.

Hide contents

When exactly was Palpatine sowing his wild oats?  And with who?  Rey's parents look far too young. 

Spoiler

Not too much of a stretch of the imagination, surely? This is an old, very rich dude who constantly wore a dressing gown.

He's basically an intergalactic Hugh Hefner.

• Upvote 5