rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

1 hour ago, Jg15 said:

Where the hell are some of you lot watching these early screenings, JJ's basement?

Some of us are VIPs I don’t mind telling you.

I don't want to see the film and I don't want to shit up this thread for those who do and don't want spoilers, but has anyone got a link to, well, all the spoilers? I won't spoil it for anyone else, just want to know (but not enough to see the film obviously).

22 minutes ago, deKay said:

I don't want to see the film and I don't want to shit up this thread for those who do and don't want spoilers, but has anyone got a link to, well, all the spoilers? I won't spoil it for anyone else, just want to know (but not enough to see the film obviously).

just google it and add “reddit”? Surely it’s there. 

There’s prob a thread on resetera too. 

12 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

just google it and add “reddit”? Surely it’s there. 

They seem to all be taken down, or people crying fake.

EDIT: nm - found vidyos.

47 minutes ago, deKay said:

They seem to all be taken down, or people crying fake.

EDIT: nm - found vidyos.

Its pretty easy to find. Check out Mike Zeroh.

There is literally everything there. Click that link ONLY if you don’t care about seeing every major plot point and/or shots/clips from the film because they’re all there.

The leaks...the rumours; it’s true. All of it. 

• Upvote 2

I read that Rey got to kiss the Game of Thrones dragon lady and then Superman punched the Super Deathstar III into another universe.

I think the daft cunts at Sky News just spoiled a major plot point for me during one of their red carpet fluff pieces at the London premiere.

Only read if you want to risk being spoiled, or have seen it. Btw I don't want to know either way whether it's accurate or not, I'll found out on Saturday.

Just interesting what they did...

Spoiler

No really, don't...

Spoiler

Speaking to Daisy Ridley in the video piece, in an otherwise innocuous sequence they put her character name up as 'Rey Skywalker'.

I was like waaaat?

Sure enough, when they played the same edited sequence again 30 minutes later it was just 'Rey'.

If true, I'm just bemused why one of their people would fucking do that.

Being cunts probably.

11 minutes ago, jonamok said:

I think the daft cunts at Sky News just spoiled a major plot point for me during one of their red carpet fluff pieces at the London premiere.

Only read if you want to risk being spoiled, or have seen it. Btw I don't want to know either way whether it's accurate or not, I'll found out on Saturday.

Just interesting what they did...

Reveal hidden contents

No really, don't...

Reveal hidden contents

Speaking to Daisy Ridley in the video piece, in an otherwise innocuous sequence they put her character name up as 'Rey Skywalker'.

I was like waaaat?

Sure enough, when they played the same edited sequence again 30 minutes later it was just 'Rey'.

If true, I'm just bemused why one of their people would fucking do that.

Being cunts probably.

I can clear this up. Huge spoilers below. I’m not kidding.

Spoiler

Seriously 

Spoiler

Rey is not a Skywalker. She’s a Palpatine. At the very end – literally the last line of the film – she calls herself Rey Skywalker to honour Luke and Leia. Crazy of Sky to let that out.

• Upvote 1

Can’t do midnight screening which will be the first I haven’t done of the Disney era.

Going to be a long day tomorrow trying to ensure some loud mouth pollock doesnt ruin it in the office or on the train.

Well...I loved it! 

Definitely not perfect by any means but a fitting farewell overall and redeems the bad taste left by Last Jedi.

Goodbye to the story that began the same year I did.  It's been epic.

• Upvote 3

You are supposed to come out of seminal cinema with the burning realisation that your life as it existed would never ever be the same again.

That's what Star Wars achieved. As did Pulp Fiction, Goodfellas, Shawshank (for those of us who actually saw it at the cinema), La Haine, Schindler etc.

Disney is the biggest film behemoth of all time. This is their most expensive purchase. If you come out of the experience of ending the story that first made you love cinema and you don't immediately get a tattoo or name your child after it, they've fucking failed. And they haven't just failed Star Wars fans. They've failed cinema. And they've failed Disney.

Having just watched it. It's fucking shit.

• Upvote 8
  • Downvote 13

Just out.

I fucking loved it. I've really enjoyed the trilogy, and where episodes 7 and 8 divided opinions massively, episode 9 will do so more than the previous 2 put together!

Contrast this post with Kerraig's for example!!

More spoilery chat tomorrow after some sleep but I'm going to bed with a warm, fuzzy glow because I really enjoyed that :)

• Upvote 2

Have to say that was very unsatisfactory. 

Spoiler

The film was something akin to giving a kid a playset with every Star Wars character and telling them to make a story with it. No finesse, and some really puzzling plot decisions. Garbage. 

I enjoyed it, but there were some missteps. 

Spoiler

Too many new characters that were just plain unnecessary, Hux the Spy, the ancient Dagger straight out of Uncharted, chewie not being dead after all, and that fucking kiss at the end. 

But there was a lot to like too. Inventive use of the force link between Kylo and Rey, Ben's redemption (which I didn't think possible after TFA), Rey following Luke's example, Palpatine being the spirit of all Sith and wanting to pass that on to his granddaughter, Finn showing a little sensitivity to the force (a direction I wish they'd gone with after TFA), and the lightsaber fights were well done. 

Now to sleep on it. 

• Upvote 1

Disjointed as fuck, but it was fun. I definitely need to go again as I was flagging towards the end.

Just home from the three movie marathon.

Bloody hell what a rollercoaster they all are together! And not always in a good way.

The main thing I have taken from tonight is a very near 180 degree turn on my feelings about The Last Jedi. It blew me back into my seat tonight. So much that I missed the first time struck me tonight.

The Force Awakens is what it is. A nostalgic knockabout they does what it says on the tin.

So The Rise of Skywalker...

Spoiler

Coming straight out of TLJ into this it was immediately evident that we were back in JJ land. The opening few minutes with Kylo Ren were very creepy and atmospheric. After that we had Rey, Po and Finn shouting their dialogue over each other which was one of my big bug bears with TFA. TLJ thankfully toned this down and, having watched all three tonight, is certainly the subtlest and most poetic of the three.

The first half hour of the film felt off somehow. The pace of everything felt like there had perhaps been changes made post filming. I don't know but bits of the film felt clunky (Or McClunky) in ways that the previous two didn't.

Also I love 3PO but a little goes a long way. He had way too much screen time and was approaching Droid Factory levels of daft jokes before his mind wipe.

Billy Dee was Billy Dee. He didn't need to be in it but it was great to see him. He looked like he was having the time of his life so good on him.

I didn't think Palpatine could get any creepier but bloody hell they ramped it up in this! Don't think I'll be showing the weans this one any time soon.

I'll have more thoughts but it does feel like this was a complete handbrake turn after TLJ in the same way that it veered wildly in tone from TFA. All three have their merits but if you'd told me when the Disney deal was made in October 2012 that this disjointed mess was what we would end up with I would have exclaimed "McClunky!" and shot myself in the chest.

• Upvote 5

Spoiler

I also love Mark Hamill's performance in The Last Jedi. I think he is the one thing that holds this trilogy together. From his first appearance in TFA to his last in TROS he never sets a foot wrong.