rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

We're ignoring the films that don't exist and doing one a week in the build up:

Solo

Rogue One

Star Wars

Empire

Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

We watched Solo on Sunday night - I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Kevvy Metal said:

I did this a year or so back and found it tonally really, really strange and didn't enjoy it all that much. 

I personally prefer either straight chronological or all prequel skip going - 45678 

"45678" feels thematically very tight and quite self-contained. 

I've done it a few times and I think it improved Episode 3 in particular.  Obviously it can't ever fix the main issues with any of the prequels, but I found that the best way to watch them is in this order (yes, cue the 'or not at all' comments!).  Yes, I could skip them but I don't want to!

Last time I did this, I watched them with a mate who had never seen any Star Wars film before and it was great.

Watched Solo again last week which reignited my excitement!

• Upvote 1

3 minutes ago, Darren said:

We're ignoring the films that don't exist and doing one a week in the build up:

Solo

Rogue One

Star Wars

Empire

Jedi

The Force Awakens

The Last Jedi

We watched Solo on Sunday night - I'd forgotten how much I enjoyed it.

It was only two days ago, you might want to get that looked at. 

• Upvote 4

Does anyone think JJ did these movies back to front? I.e.

Spoiler

Big secret fleet of super advanced Imperial ships might have made more sense as Ep 7 to actually introduce the First Order, and prevented it from seeming like such a retread.

And Death Starkiller Mk 3 might have actually made more sense in Ep 9 for the massive finale to the whole thing that is deliberately about legacy and echoing and ending what came before.

• Upvote 4

9 minutes ago, HarryBizzle said:

I honestly can’t remember what happened to Death Star 3. I don’t think this trilogy really needed one. 

They blew it up. There's always a way to do that. :coffee:

• Upvote 2

What if they have not just one Death Star... but two Death Stars? Yeah, didn’t see that coming, did you boys.

Or maybe all those Star Destroyers converge into one hulking mass, like Voltron. They’d still forget to close one porthole though, and Rey or Finn or Ghost Schmee will sneak in with a thermal detonator.

2 hours ago, Darren said:

I like the look of that wheely thing.

mtv7-front.jpg

That'll be Filoni's influence, yeah? He likes bringing in hella deep references from toys, EU and all manner of untapped 'gold' from ye olden days :)

• Upvote 1

Watched the TV spot, and then out of naive curiosity clicked on a video about people walking out of a test screening... it was like Collider without the shilling, but still really, really desperate for some shilling. Anyway, that led me down a rabbit hole to a guy calling himself, ahem...FFS..., 'Doomcock' (his YouTube name is Overlord something or other). Basically a guy, wearing a mask and using a voice changer spouting absolute drivel about supposed Rise of Skywalker leaks, spoilers and whinging about how Disney no longer respects the true fans (I hope he doesn't mean himself because Jesus H Christ).

I'm not linking because he doesn't deserve any more traffic. I managed a minute of manbaby whinging before needed some fresh air. Maybe it's a parody... there might actually be some money in clickbaiting enraged fans of franchise X. Just chuck in some things about SJWs, Mary Sues, sheeple and agendas and spend the income on a new hat. But if it isn't a parody... wow. I really didn't realise quite how sad and pathetic these things could get.

I know there's emotional investment in entertainment, but I can't get my head around being so disgruntled you'd actively want a film to be bad or becoming so vitriolic. Is it immaturity? Stupidity? Boredom? I know that's a bit, 'welcome to the internet' but I was genuinely flabbergasted someone so rabidly inane can get almost 100,000 subs and hundreds of thousands of views. Before a film is even released.

And then there was the comment section.

*clay davies gif*

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

Edit: This post originally contained a second tweet, posted by @DougAdamsMusic, which showed photos of Williams in the studio with different people (the only one I recognised was JJ Abrams). But it's been deleted - wonder why?

• Upvote 5

Less a Special Look, more a hype reel for how much everyone loves the Star Wars. I sat down for the glimpses of Rise I stayed for the archive footage from the old film sets.

• Upvote 1

On 19/11/2019 at 20:19, glb said:

What if they have not just one Death Star... but two Death Stars? Yeah, didn’t see that coming, did you boys.

Three Death Stars to really show who's boss:

the_new_death_star_by_genzoman-d5jkxim-600x4501.jpg.24fc6360faafa70840488c114f8ac563.jpg

• Upvote 3

10 minutes ago, Darren said:

I know I’m a sentimental old fool for being moved by that, but I really was. The fact is I went to see Star Wars aged 7 and it became an instant obsession. Apart from a few years in the late 80s when I (and everyone else my age) decided we were too cool for robots and space magic, it’s always been there ever since. For me and millions of others, Star Wars is part of our lives. Even the rubbish films we don’t talk about, they’re like the cousins you don’t get on with, but they’re still there and you’re always connected. They’ll mention Star Wars at my funeral.

Yep, sentimental old fool.

At the point JJ talks about the comics I was rolling my eyes thinking, 'I know what you're up to Disney, I know what you're doing...' but by the end I had a lump in my throat remembering all the moments from the series that I've shared with my dad and friends. Turns out Disney know what they are doing but they do it so bloody well at times.

One month. Red 5 standing by.

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, papalazarou said:

They fly now???? (made me laugh)

As I observed on my recent TFA then TLJ viewing, Rian Johnson is a far better writer and plot constructor than JJ Abrams / Kasdan but Abrams is the far better visual director. 

That little clip has all the excellent kinetic energy of TFA and got me pretty excited. Looks great. 

Broken my ankle though! So gonna be a challenge working out how to see this in a month :/ 

• Upvote 2
  • Empathy 1

2 hours ago, Kevvy Metal said:

As I observed on my recent TFA then TLJ viewing, Rian Johnson is a far better writer and plot constructor than JJ Abrams / Kasdan but Abrams is the far better visual director. 

That little clip has all the excellent kinetic energy of TFA and got me pretty excited. Looks great. 

Broken my ankle though! So gonna be a challenge working out how to see this in a month :/ 

Should be ok. I broke my ankle last year. They give you a support boot and I was walking/hobbling around within a week. In a month you'll hardly need the boot. Hope you're ok.

On 19/11/2019 at 19:21, Darren said:

I like the look of that wheely thing.

mtv7-front.jpg

I've got that in the attic, with a Hoth snowbase I made fror my brother out of papier mache and painted in white gloss and sand :)

• Upvote 1

Lots of people complaining (about a film they're yet to see) having a run-time of 2hrs 21mins like it spells disaster.

For something to be a fun action/adventure type movie, 2hrs up to 2hrs 30m has to remain the target.  I couldn't care less how long endgame was - that was a culmination of 10 years and 20 movies, with god knows how many characters to service.

For me the fact that Abrams has seemingly kept this relatively tight, and not leant on an 'epic' runtime as a selling point, suggests that they've got a storyline that's going to pop along at pace like a Star Wars film truly should.