rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

I was really disappointed by the last film and half convinced myself that I wasn't really interested in this.

And then that music kicked in.... Star Wars is back. Trailer looks bloody great, I can't wait!

Booked, I dont care what the internet thinks, its a Star Wars film and I love Star Wars.

Going with my usual gang, we have seen all of the other Disney SW films together. it's also a good way to start the Christmas holidays.

• Upvote 7

I’ve booked too. Let’s finish this journey. I remember my mum taking me to see the first film and enthusing about the Star Destroyer flying over , the taking us up from Wales to see the other two films in London. 

• Upvote 5

The rumour that Holdo was the Emperor all along has turned out true, then. In hindsight the clues of her staggering evil were always there, like how she was rude to a cool space driver man and also dyed her hair an unconventional colour. 

• Upvote 6

Got my tickets to see the midnight show. As is tradition, going with my big brother - we’ve seen every SW film together since our dad dropped us off at the cinema to see Star Wars in ‘77.

• Upvote 6

I've not seen the trailer, and I'm planning to avoid it and as much as possible on the film for the next two months. Booked tickets for my wife, son and myself for the local Vue on the Friday 20/12 evening showing (at £5 per ticket, which is pretty cool) so something to look forward to just before Christmas.

I've booked for midnight too. I'm hardly about to break the tradition now. :D

I had to wait until quite late last night before I watched the trailer, and I had to fight a little to stop myself welling up afterwards. It got me right where the Force Awakens trailer did.

And then there was that Threepio scene. :(

I've been making my way through the entire saga this year in chronological order, and I left VII and VIII to watch closer to the December. I think now's the time.

Having finally watched it, that trailer was great. Some beautiful imagery in there, like the submerged Death Star wreckage and the spaceship skimming the jungle. Plus, it looks like it's going to continue the conflicted relationship between Rey and Kylo Renn, which was one of my favourite bits from the Last Jedi. 

That bit at the end with C3PO, though. Are Poe, Rey and Finn really his friends? They had hardly any contact whatsoever in the previous films. Typical fucking creepy C3PO, weirding everyone out.

• Upvote 3

9 hours ago, Sprite Machine said:

Another bloody "spaceship rises up majestically out of something" shot.

Dammit, Abrams! :lol:

No OTT lens flare though so maybe he's mellowing.

He's wrong to call that the historical billing order (that was only in TFA; the OT was Hamill/Ford/Fisher). I wonder if Hamill did step aside from top billing after her death (from his public persona, seems like the sort of thing he'd do) - or if the order was decided in advance of the trilogy, with contracts for a "Han film", "Luke film" and "Leia film"?

Also, turns out that the trailer's excellent arrangement of the main theme was by this musician. He did the Jedi: Fallen Order trailer music as well:

• Upvote 1

Trailer seems to deliberately focus on all the callback stuff, leaving out most of the new characters, so Lucasfilm are clearly still worried about frightening the (space) horses. 

I'm all booked-in for 19th, not exactly excited but happy to go, and remaining open-minded :)

1 hour ago, K said:

Having finally watched it, that trailer was great. Some beautiful imagery in there, like the submerged Death Star wreckage and the spaceship skimming the jungle. Plus, its look like it's going to keep on with the conflicted relationship between Rey and Kylo Renn, which was one of my favourite bits from the Last Jedi,

That bit at the end with C3PO, though. Are Poe, Rey and Finn really his friends? They had hardly any contact whatsoever in the previous films. Typical fucking creepy C3PO, weirding everyone out.

He means Artoo and Chewie, not these young upstarts, obviously.

1 hour ago, Treble said:

Trailer seems to deliberately focus on all the callback stuff, leaving out most of the new characters

Uh-oh. Did you watch the D23 trailer by mistake too?

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, K said:

You mean Creepio?

My only issue with the Threepio scene is that, because of his lack of appearances in the last two films, he has become a fairly redundant background character in this new trilogy (In fact, in TLJ I dont remember him appearing at all).

I have no issue with him being in this film (and more issue with him being badly shoehorned into the Prequels) but to raise his prominence now when the focus has rightly been on the new characters is odd, especially when he has been background fluff with a red arm and therefore doesnt have any real relationship with these characters (outside of Chewie and R2).

Spoiler

I'm sure I will blub if the scene plays out as shown in the trailer (and he "dies") and of course, this could take place at the end of the film, by which time we would have seen him with the new gang long enough to establish his relationship with them.

I'm sure there will be comics / internet flash series / funko pops which explore his deep relationship with Poo Damaran released at some point.

The trailer was cool but I don't give a fuck about the Resistance anymore. They are garbage. Hopefully it'll be mostly Rey/Ren stuff.

You fakers obviously haven't read Kieron Gillen's Space Friends #17, where the eponymous group attend Finn's stag on Corellia and a death stick addled Threepio's face gets sat on by a succession of scantily clad twi'leks

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, K said:

He's been hanging out with Poe with the Resistance for around 5 years prior to TFA, and at the point of TROS will have been with Rey and Finn for a further year or so.  The time gap from TLJ is yet to be 100% confirmed, but we've already got canon stories about them rebuilding the resistance together between TLJ and TROS.  I would argue Finn and Rey are his friends simply by extension of the fact they're close with Poe and Leia, who he knows very well, but they've had adventures together since TLJ.

• Upvote 1

25 minutes ago, SpagMasterSwift said:

I bet everyone felt well awks when he gave that ‘looking at my friends’ speech.

Probably would have had the desired impact if it had been Luke, Chewie and Artoo, with whom we've watched him actually develop as a character.