rllmuk
Jug McKenzie

Star Wars Episode IX: The Rise of Skywalker (December 2019)

15 hours ago, HarryBizzle said:

I really want the next inevitable trilogy to go in a new direction. This Empire Mk2 vs Resistance Mk2 thing just feels like such a missed opportunity to do something different with the most beloved sci-fi universe in existence. 

If whatever they do with the current set of characters in the Skywalker soap opera saga timeline doesn't float yer boat in the future, they've at least acknowledged they have a creative problem by allowing both Rian Johnson and the team behind Game of Thrones to do completely new trilogies with I assume completely different characters and no need to service the legacy Skywalker timeline.

Having seen the state of Billy Dee Williams several years ago in an episode of Modern Family, I would seriously temper any expectations anyone has. 

They missed a trick not getting Donald Glover to play his relation rather than wasting time prequelising history with Solo. Build a team for the future, not the past.

8 hours ago, womblingfree said:

They missed a trick not getting Donald Glover to play his relation rather than wasting time prequelising history with Solo. Build a team for the future, not the past.

Urgh why does everyone have to be related? Just let them be new characters with no relation.

Donald Glover turning up as Rando Calrissian, Lando’s previously unmentioned nephew, would be a pretty desperate move. 

There’s really no harm in giving fans of the original films a little treat in the form of a small part for Lando. I can’t understand why everyone gets so eggy about that stuff - it’s not as if they’ve announced a trilogy of old-Lando spin-offs. It’ll probably be no more than 5-10 mins screen time in a 2.5hr film, and they can easily use the odd special effect to make sure he looks great. By all means make valid criticisms people, but going on and on about Billy Dee Williams coming back (ironically) comes across as a bit unimaginative.

• Downvote 2

I hope Lando is exactly the same character we knew from ROTJ, otherwise the fanbase will undoubtedly need a spin off movie or TV series to explain what made him change over the last 30 years.

• Upvote 6

I have a friend who is based out of pinewood and asked him if he had seen any sets being built for ep IX - while he said he hadn't seen inside the studios they are using,  as they are on lock down - he did say that he noticed a lot of what looked like "large lava type rocks" being moved around to the sets (and as far as he knows no other movies being filmed need these at the min)

14 hours ago, jerellis1 said:

It's just occurred to me that if BDW's 81 now then he must already have been in his mid-40s when he was in Empire... Jesus he looked great for that age!

One of my favourite memories of my Gran when I was wee was when I showed her my figure of Lando in his blue Empire rigout.  She said she " Widny kick him oot the bed".

• Upvote 7

On 15/07/2018 at 12:52, Dirty Harry Potter said:

Unlike, say, putting an 80 something supporting actor in - because you didn’t plan out the story - and killed off all the main surviving cast members.....

Considering who has stopped being in the Skywalker saga so far, it would seem obvious that the plan (before unfortunate real life events changed them) would have been for the final film of the new trilogy to end the Skywalker lineage on screen, leaving the future of that timeline open for the survivors of this trilogy to have new adventures in a galaxy far, far away.

Spoiler

Plus Kathleen Kennedy pretty much obliquely said that was the proposed plan.

https://deadline.com/2018/07/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-carrie-fisher-naomi-ackie-billy-dee-williams-1202435346/

Starts filming in Pinewood in a few days, with Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant joining. Hamill and Billy Dee Williams confirmed to appear. They're also using unused TFA footage of Carrie Fisher. Still saying they won't be using a CG version or another actor to fill her in.

• Upvote 1

11 hours ago, JohnC said:

https://deadline.com/2018/07/star-wars-episode-ix-cast-carrie-fisher-naomi-ackie-billy-dee-williams-1202435346/

Starts filming in Pinewood in a few days, with Naomi Ackie and Richard E. Grant joining. Hamill and Billy Dee Williams confirmed to appear. They're also using unused TFA footage of Carrie Fisher. Still saying they won't be using a CG version or another actor to fill her in.

They should have her driving a space taxi and do a Babs from League of Gentlemen.

So after all Rian Johnson’s endless moments to tell us that we should forget the past, let it die, kill it with fire if we have to, etc. that he layed on with the subtlety of a sledgehammer, it looks like JJ Abrams has completely scrapped that idea and gone rooting through the bins to find any old footage of Leia he can get his hands on to create a story that tugs on our heart strings and lets us reminisce. Which direction are we going in again?

• Upvote 3