jerellis1

Star Wars Episode IX (December 2019)

Is it actually a trilogy? I can’t remember if it’s ever actually been said, or whether everyone has just assumed it is. If it is, I wonder what happens after this trilogy. Will whoever’s remaining of the original cast, plus whoever’s left from this trilogy all be getting thrown in with whoever they introduce for the next trilogy?

Yep it's a trilogy. They have said that Episode IX will end the Skywalker Saga. What will follow is the new trilogy by Rian Johnson with all new characters. Though I guess they'll leave the door open for old characters with the Star Wars Stories films.

2 minutes ago, Bazjam said:

Yep it's a trilogy. They have said that Episode IX will end the Skywalker Saga. What will follow is the new trilogy by Rian Johnson with all new characters. Though I guess they'll leave the door open for old characters with the Star Wars Stories films.

Johnson's proposed trilogy wouldn't be Episode's X, XI and XII. It's something entirely different.  I believe the forth trilogy will continue the Skywalker saga in some way.

23 minutes ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

ix_12.jpg

I know Lucas just used elephants for the Banthas but at least he tried to disguise them!  These are just mad looking horsesheeps!

I guess you’re taking the piss, but those orange bits on the bridal will be the markers for them to stick some cgi over.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

I wasn't a fan of TLJ but so what?  I'm not letting it ruin my love for Star Wars, of course I'm looking forward to episode 9.

It's like when your favourite band release a duff album, you just hope the next one will be a return to form. You still love them though.

My main worry for it is how they're going to handle the lack of Carrie Fisher. I know they've said they'll use footage from ep7 that was left on the cutting room floor but it doesn't sound like the best of ideas. I guess we'll see when it comes out.

I'm not mega-hyped for it at this stage like some are, once the trailer drops however it'll be a different matter.

2 hours ago, Hanzo the Razor said:

ix_12.jpg

I know Lucas just used elephants for the Banthas but at least he tried to disguise them!  These are just mad looking horsesheeps!

I think they've just taped some cats together.

• Upvote 2

Usually I come out of trashy sci fi and fantasy films with loads of questions, and will go off looking for information. I read all the Harry Potter books then available immediately after watching the first film. Ate up all the Matrix spin offs. Even the prequels Id be trying to figure out how they were going to make Anakin fall, watch all the Clone Wars shorts etc. I just wanted to know what happens next. 

After The Last Jedi, I just felt nothing. It just felt massively like an ending to a trilogy and not the middle. There was no hook for the next one, and it seemed like a lot of work just to essentially get back as close as possible to the OT status quo. Given where they put Kylo, seems like a waste to try and do it in one too. 

I still love Star Wars but that feeling's never really left me. If the trailer is really good, it'll reel me back in, but it'd need to be interesting. Not either nostalgia again or "oh look everyone hated The Last Jedi, we're fixing it!!! “. I want them own the choices and make it interesting. 

• Upvote 3
  • Empathy 2

10 hours ago, kensei said:

Usually I come out of trashy sci fi and fantasy films with loads of questions, and will go off looking for information. I read all the Harry Potter books then available immediately after watching the first film. Ate up all the Matrix spin offs. Even the prequels Id be trying to figure out how they were going to make Anakin fall, watch all the Clone Wars shorts etc. I just wanted to know what happens next. 

After The Last Jedi, I just felt nothing. It just felt massively like an ending to a trilogy and not the middle. There was no hook for the next one, and it seemed like a lot of work just to essentially get back as close as possible to the OT status quo. Given where they put Kylo, seems like a waste to try and do it in one too. 

I still love Star Wars but that feeling's never really left me. If the trailer is really good, it'll reel me back in, but it'd need to be interesting. Not either nostalgia again or "oh look everyone hated The Last Jedi, we're fixing it!!! “. I want them own the choices and make it interesting. 

Yes, I agree completely! Last Jedi pretty much left us with nothing to get excited about or speculate over for the next film. Nothing has been set up at all,  just a few surviving characters jammed in the Falcon. 

I don't even feel that bothered about spoilers for IX as at least that will give me something to think about. 

Well I'm the opposite. Love TLJ, love the 2 anthology films, love most of the new canon novels and always look forward to what's next on the horizon.

Personally, I'm loving the fact that the next Star Wars movie is never too far away. 

• Upvote 1
  • Empathy 1

1 hour ago, X_2_0 said:

Yes, I agree completely! Last Jedi pretty much left us with nothing to get excited about or speculate over for the next film. Nothing has been set up at all,  just a few surviving characters jammed in the Falcon. 

I don't even feel that bothered about spoilers for IX as at least that will give me something to think about. 

Did you go to the toilet when Kylo Ren killed his master and took control of the First Order?

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

People after watching Marvel films: "I wish one of these films would tell a complete, self-contained story, instead of always being adverts for the next one!"

People (not necessarily the same people) after watching the second-latest Star Wars film: "I wish this film had left more obvious questions and hooks to be followed up in the next one!"

• Upvote 4

26 minutes ago, Nick R said:

People after watching Marvel films: "I wish one of these films would tell a complete, self-contained story, instead of always being adverts for the next one!"

People (not necessarily the same people) after watching the second-latest Star Wars film: "I wish this film had left more obvious questions and hooks to be followed up in the next one!"

Your first sentence doesn’t really work now we’ve had Infinity War though. It’s what they’ve been building to all along. It might have been a drawn out process, and at times some of the films have been a bit lightweight, but it’s always felt like they’ve had a long term goal in mind. This latest Star Wars trilogy, on the other hand, feels as though they’re making it up as they go, without a clear purpose.

• Upvote 3

1 hour ago, JPL said:

This latest Star Wars trilogy, on the other hand, feels as though they’re making it up as they go, without a clear purpose.

Because that is precisely how they've been making them :P

This trilogy exists to pass the baton onto the new younger and cheaper cast, the old lot are there to ease you in. Practically the older cast first started making this stuff back in the bloody 70s! and they are getting on for that age themselves now so you can't rely on them longterm anyway.

"Let the past die. Kill it if you have to" - the mission statement for Episodes VII-XI

• Downvote 3

8 hours ago, Nick R said:

One set of films are theoretically meant to be stand alone, the other is the much publicised middle film in a new trilogy. Its not the same. 

10 hours ago, Sarlaccfood said:

Did you go to the toilet when Kylo Ren killed his master and took control of the First Order?

So? How does it really upend the status quo? I didn't really know anything Snoke, and over two films Kylo has been demonstrated to be a bit petulant and a bit useless. He was still a bit petulant and a bit useless in the walker getting the Rebels, and fighting Luke. It's just not that exciting, and I sort of liked his character. 

I applaud the idea. But how it was executed - meh. 

• Empathy 1

Having just watched ESB and seeing how menacing Vader is throughout and how easily he takes down Luke, chops his hand off and reveals that he’s his dad, just hammers home how you do a bad guy. Kylo’s teenage tantrums are pathetic and weak in comparison. He’d get laughed out of Mos Eisley Cantina acting like that. In fact, he probably wouldn’t even get in.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, JPL said:

He’d get laughed out of Mos Eisley Cantina acting like that. In fact, he probably wouldn’t even get in.

He probably would get laughed out, and he can be a bit pathetic and weak. He's not Vader 2.0 though, and I'm thankful for that. Vader also happens to be the most iconic bad guy in cinema history, which is always going to be a tough act to follow. But I'd rather we have something different. I think what we're seeing here is a character in the early stages of becoming a Vader-type big bad; the Kylo we see at the end of VIII is different to the one at the beginning of VII. His weaknesses make him more interesting to me, and he's also a little more unhinged than Vader.

And as much as I despise the prequels, and try my best to forget they even exist, don't forget that Vader had teenage tantrums at one point. Kylo's story has been told far better than Lucas's ham-fisted attempt in the prequels.

• Upvote 4

2 hours ago, kensei said:

One set of films are theoretically meant to be stand alone, the other is the much publicised middle film in a new trilogy. Its not the same. 

So? How does it really upend the status quo? I didn't really know anything Snoke, and over two films Kylo has been demonstrated to be a bit petulant and a bit useless. He was still a bit petulant and a bit useless in the walker getting the Rebels, and fighting Luke. It's just not that exciting, and I sort of liked his character. 

I applaud the idea. But how it was executed - meh. 

*shrugs*

I think it's pretty interesting. Regardless of whether you think it is or not, it's still a plot thread that is being carried over to the next film. 

I love the way you genuinely don't know which way Kylo is going to turn. At the end of TFA, I didn't have a clue if he would kill Han or reconcile with him. In TLJ, I thought he was going to join Rey at the end of the throne scene; he didn't.

As much as Vader was a badass, iconic villain, his redemption in ROTJ was close to being a complete shock. There were few (no?) signs of him having any love or connection to Luke in the preceding films. Of course, this made it all the more dramatic, which was loads of fun.

But I love that Kylo is flawed and conflicted. It's what makes him both dangerous and unpredictable. I don't want another Vader. Who could do Vader better than Vader?

Kylo also lacks the hubris that Luke said was part of the downfall of the Jedi, and we know has always been a weakness of the Dark Side. When Kylo says to Rey 'Look, you're no-one special, you're not pre-destined for greatness. But you matter to me', it's powerful stuff. He's not saying that he or Rey are the Chosen One, or saying that them joining forces is part of some hokey destiny, or any such bullshit. In the new world of Star Wars, there's no black and white, people aren't exclusively good or evil, and no-one is a one dimensional or perfect being. It's shades of grey, and anything is possible. I'm into that 

I'd also say that Kylo's far from useless. Within two films he's arguably achieved more than Vader. He's killed two of his 'enemies' (Han and Snoke), and come pretty close to killing another (Leia). IIRC, Vader in ANH and ESB did a lot of chasing after rebels, but how many meaningful kills did he actually rack up? One: Obi Wan, and you could argue that was more Obi Wan's doing than Vader's.

• Upvote 10
  • Downvote 1

9 hours ago, Paulando said:

He probably would get laughed out, and he can be a bit pathetic and weak. He's not Vader 2.0 though, and I'm thankful for that. Vader also happens to be the most iconic bad guy in cinema history, which is always going to be a tough act to follow. But I'd rather we have something different. I think what we're seeing here is a character in the early stages of becoming a Vader-type big bad; the Kylo we see at the end of VIII is different to the one at the beginning of VII. His weaknesses make him more interesting to me, and he's also a little more unhinged than Vader.

And as much as I despise the prequels, and try my best to forget they even exist, don't forget that Vader had teenage tantrums at one point. Kylo's story has been told far better than Lucas's ham-fisted attempt in the prequels.

You know, I think that might be why I’m not really enjoying this trilogy. The fact that they haven’t gone different enough. You say he isn’t Vader 2.0, but he’s very close. They’ve just given him a bit more nuance in the form of doubt and unpredictability, which is good, but he’s still very close though if you look at the big picture, and I think that’s been their mistake. This whole trilogy, so far, has felt like a retread of the original trilogy, but with nothing quite as good. Maybe they should have gone for a totally different angle, which would have stopped people comparing it unfavourably with the originals. I dunno. Maybe. I’m just speculating really. I know a lot of people love these new ones and that’s cool. I just wish I did.

All I do know is that watching ESB last night was exciting and funny and dramatic and still brought back the wonder and amazement I felt the first time I watched it. I’m looking forward to watching RoTJ this afternoon. Although the way George changed how the music blends into the main theme at the end will bug the shit out of me!

As much as I have enjoyed the last two movies, and TLJ in particular, I think pairing a strict alternating year release schedule with an urge to take creative risks has not been a great success. 

• Upvote 1

On 24/08/2018 at 20:09, Bazjam said:

On 24/08/2018 at 20:11, Hanzo the Razor said:

Johnson's proposed trilogy wouldn't be Episode's X, XI and XII. It's something entirely different.  I believe the forth trilogy will continue the Skywalker saga in some way.

Didn't the Last Jedi end the "Skywalker Saga"? There's none of them left. We're just following some people who met him for 5 minutes at this point.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

27 minutes ago, RubberJohnny said:

Didn't the Last Jedi end the "Skywalker Saga"? There's none of them left. We're just following some people who met him for 5 minutes at this point.

Kylo and Leia are Skywalkers.