Sign in to follow this  
ChrisN

Sauerkraut and other fermented food

I've decided to make some Sauerkraut, because I like it and it seems quite straightforward, but also there's a lot of room for experimentation (different types of cabbage, adding spices, fermentation times, etc). Anyone given this a go? You just shred cabbage, salt it, wait for the water to start coming out, and then pack it in to a fermentation jar (or kilner jar if you don't fancy spending £8.50 on Amazon), and then leave it for a few weeks. Easy peasy.

I'm quite tempted to try making kimchi too.

I've made Kimchi from a recipe from one of Sandor Katz's books. It really is easy, and the end result was very good indeed. I used a kilner jar and a smaller water filled jar to hold the kimchi down during fermentation. Only issue with the kimchi is the smell while it ferments, end result is worth it though! Need to get some more on the go.

• Upvote 1

Lots of fermenting things are pretty straightforward, just remember that you need to burp those jars every day to let the gases out! 

I've made a fair few things from the "It's Alive" series on YouTube:

My personal favourite is the garlic fermented in honey, although you really should have a pH tester to be safe with that one. 

I've made a fermented pepper mash which I'm going to turn into a hot sauce. Got to know your good mould from your bad with that one.

• Upvote 1

Yes I've made sauerkraut, kimchi, lacto-fermented gherkins and beetroot.  And at the moment I have some grated courgette turning into the squash equivalent of sauerkraut.

• Upvote 1

My sauerkraut experiment didn't work particularly well. I put too much salt in, so while it was definitely sauerkraut it wasn't very tasty. Sauerkraut 1.1 will be better.

• Upvote 1

I've always been tempted to make some kimchi - was thinking of following this guide - does this look decent enough?

And current rllmuk kimchi makes - how do you get around the smell issues?

2 hours ago, Jamin said:

I've always been tempted to make some kimchi - was thinking of following this guide - does this look decent enough?

Looks fine, although when I went into our local Korean supermarket to buy ingredients, the chap who worked there and was very helpful looked at me funny when I said the recipe I was using asked for carrot. He seemed to think it didn't belong, and said he used to make kimchi using 200 cabbage heads with his grandparents. Fish sauce and salted shrimp I think are more commonly used than fish stock, but as long as you get your cabbage and your chili right, the rest is a matter of preference. The recipe I used was Maangchi's, and I've had word recently from my friend that his Korean wife gave my kimchi the thumbs up. The video was helpful to me too.

2 hours ago, Jamin said:

how do you get around the smell issues?

Issues?

Cheers, that vid looks very useful so I might go for that.

I've universally read that kimchi smells pretty bad during the fermentation stage? I guess sticking it in a cupboard or the like might fix it.

The smell is definitely noticeable in the kitchen but the fermentation should only last a couple of days.

I've made a vegan recipe without the fish sauce,  I left out the sea weed and mushrooms and added carrots so it's not the same but as I mostly use it for adding lactic flavour to vegan cheese sauce it does the trick.

http://seonkyounglongest.com/vegan-kimchi/