IGNORED

Why is the PS2 hated so much?

kamrantaz

if you want to play GTA3 or VC, you either get an xbox or you use your PC, depending if it's up to the job.

also, the PC version of VC came out pretty soon after the PS2 version.

for anyone who's still interested, GTA3 is the reason I bought a PS2.

well yes you could but 7 million PS2 owners have already bought the title making it's exclusivity pretty damn important as far as Sony were concerned.

for same reason the next GTA title will yet again shift shitloads of PS2's.

and btw, you can play Halo on your PC now so scratch that from your list if we're being anal.

Pete, what database are you using? my link seems to only cover up to E121 and gives

GC exclusive 9+s: 3 (but TWW is not listed)

PS2 exclusive 9+s: 0

XB exclusive 9+s: 1

I said it only went up to Edge 121. I also said you could assume a level amount of "Quality" title for each format since the last EARL update.

As for PS2 exlclusives etc - Yes, I take the point. I didnt look to see what titles were what, I just took the totals.

However - 9 is a very high mark to draw the line at. If you take 8, whci includes a lot of great games for all formats, then it is still something like 30 - 10 - 10 in PS2 favour. And as I said - PC proves this - with its 138 titles at 8 or above (49 "9"'s). Its not a reflection of anything other than there have been more games released

I don't think i've ever read a thread which summed up better my complete and utter dislike for the majority of gaming forums and most of the the people who post on them.

You set of silly childish twats...

Buy a PS2 or don't buy a PS2.

Buy an XBox or don't buy an XBox

Buy a Gamecube or don't buy a Gamecube.

But for fucks sake please grow up a little, play the games that you profess to love and stop arguing over nothing.

Well bloody hell - I just looked at the EARL daatabase. So Rez counts as exclusive for you, but not for EARL? <_<

Anyway - You see what I am trying to say. The sheer volume means there are more quality titles - not "because" it is a PS2 and any more capable than the other 2.

I don't think i've ever read a thread which summed up better my complete and utter dislike for the majority of gaming forums and most of the the people who post on them.

You set of silly childish twats...

Buy a PS2 or don't buy a PS2.

Buy an XBox or don't buy an XBox

By a Gamecube or don't buy a Gamecube.

But for fucks sake please play the games that you profess to love and stop arguing over nothing.

What say we lay aside our differences and lay into this sanctamonious twat <_<

Pete, what database are you using? my link seems to only cover up to E121 and gives

GC exclusive 9+s: 3 (but TWW is not listed)

XB exclusive 9+s: 1

That's what I'd expect to be fair but I don't want to poo poo games that score 8. Isn't a fair comparison that the PS2 has more 'above average' games. (But not more than the PC going back to what 1993?)

That's what I'd expect to be fair but I don't want to poo poo games that score 8. Isn't a fair comparison that the PS2 has more 'above average' games. (But not more than the PC going back to what 1993?)

But.. but..but..

8 in Edge is a bloody great score. Do you know how many fuvking fantastic games you would be discounting if you said 8 was "above avergae"

this includes 10s <_<

I'm not happy with using Edge as a gauge anyhow. go and play Freak Out and you'll know why.

Oh bloody hell - It's an indication - not to be taken as gospel. It was purely to test a theory. If we are going to start debating the finer points of Edge's review scores then I am off home.

Also, you cant take Edge's word as gospel. PGR2 is no 7.

So - I presume you extend that to Halo's 10 then. You cant have it both ways - you either accept it as a general guide, to illustrate a point, or you dont.

i think if we're using Edge as the yardstick we should set the benchmark at 7/distinguished. too many excellent games are being ignored otherwise.

edit. and can we leave the PC out of this for the time being please cos it spans too many generations to make a fair comparison.

i think if we're using Edge as the yardstick we should set the benchmark at 7/distinguished. too many excellent games are being ignored otherwise.

to avoid missing out on excellent games you'd have to set the benchmark at about 4 or 5.

even with 7s and 8s you're gonna get some truly awful games included, such is Edge's wont.

I love the way everyone (some people) think that each Edge review should match their own opinion everytime, or they're wrong... must of just "not got it", or something.

15 reviews a month, 1 in 10 chance? Scores are just asking for trouble from a selected few <_<

Yup I agree. But I dont think certain parties will agree to that, as it even further proves the point abut PS2 have more quality titles - Except for PC of course.

It is worth pointing out the the average score for almost all the formats is between 6 and 7. There is very little in it. Meaning the average quality of a given game on a given system is equal across the board. It just that there are more games on PS2 than any other console - ergo there are more quality titles.

by their standards not our own, otherwise we'll be here, like... forever <_<

we'll be here forever arguing about the line to draw anyway! I generally ignore an Edge score below 9 for anything on the basis that any old shit can get an Edge 8 such is their consistency. not that I've paid any attention to their scores for about a year now.

Request: A special folder in which only Synchronated Undertaker and Sprite Machine can post <_<

Anyway, where was that topic...

Yes, "hate" and "love" - possibly the most abused words on this forum. I "hate" that, I "love" this - there are so many threads where this comes up and there is often no recognition that "hate" and "love" are at the far ends of quite a long scale, with everything else being the various and multifarious world we call "the middle ground".

I would say this is where I would put my opinion on the PS2 - it's right in the middle because although there are a lot of quality games which I want to play on it:

1. I have serious issues with the pad, after being spoilt by the XBox's S controllers and the GameCube controllers.
  2. The quality of PAL conversions/lack of 60Hz options on the games I have played so far on friend's consoles leaves something to be desired. This annoys me especially because I have become used to the proliferation of 60Hz modes in the GameCube's library, and because I was playing NTSC versions exclusively for the last few years of the Playstation's life, thanks to my friendly neighbourhood chipping guy.

Hate--------------------x--------------------Love

Point 2 can be solved by chipping and importing (another bonus of late entry in a console's life cycle - plenty of cheap games), but it irks me that I have to do this at all just to get the same quality of game as the rest of the world (slow-motion running - be gone!).

Point 1 - well... I'll add my request to find out if there are any third party pads which improve on the DS's poor sticks.