Jump to content
IGNORED

Playing games without noticing a helpful feature or The Idiot Gamer


Vorgot
 Share

Recommended Posts

6 minutes ago, dumpster said:

I played Resident Evil 4 on Wii with a cheat code for unlimited health.  I played one of the bosses for a full 30 minutes, cursing myself for not remembering it's weak spot or what the strategy was.  A full half hour of this bullet sponge before I realised it's health bar is a percentage of your own and the cheat makes it invincible. 

 

At least, in Resi 4, you knew that there was a run button. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played the whole of final fantasy 7 never knowing how to summon. I always equipped the materia but in battle they never showed up. It's because strangely the first summon doesn't appear on the first line you have to scroll down.

 

I also got stuck for weeks in one screen in midgar. It was a scrapyard that had an iron hand in it. I just couldn't figure out where to go and presumed you had to activate the hand but I couldn't do it. I ended up overlevelling massively and had the level 3 limit breaks by the time I left. 

 

I also had a pirate copy of metal gear so when it told me to ring Meryl from the back of the box I had to ring every single frequency hah.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 4 weeks later...

I completed Sekiro - only the once, but I beat ISS - and still couldn't quite grasp the ways of the Mikiri Counter. I kind of got it when doing the training, but in active combat I always messed up. It doesn't help that it's one of three perilous attacks (thrust/sweep/grab) but the symbol heralding any perilous attack is always the same, and so I'd often choose to run away if possible.

 

The counter is an optional unlock as well, so for all its use I could probably complete the game without unlocking the skill at all. :blush: 

EDIT: wait, the Mikiri Counter is an early part of a long skill tree branch with some useful stuff, so I might have to unlock it even if I can't use it correctly. Boo.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I did 35 hours of Monster Hunter Rise without realising you could block.

 

Probably at least 500 hours (probably a lot more) on the clock of Overwatch and at platinum level before I discovered that if you’re escorting the payload heals you.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Definitely idiot gamer here:

 

Alpha Protocol has a hacking/decryption mini game. Came to the first one, couldn’t work it out, read the manual which was no help whatsoever, tried again, nope. My frustration wasn’t so much that I couldn’t do it, just that I didn’t even know what to do. Gave up.

 

Bayonetta. Didn’t realise you could mix potions/lollipops yourself until I was about 90% through the game. Every single one I consumed I had bought.

 

Mass Effect first game way back. I had never played any form of RPG before this. Side missions, well they sound boring, why would I want to do that, I’m just going to do the story. Result, at least 50% of conversation options not available and the final battle was incredibly frustrating with underpowered Shepard and support.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

The Resi 4 non run was my brother; he'd played it through, lent it to me and was at my house watching me play and went a bit quiet when I started running away from enemies. I mentioned it in this sort of thread and it gets brought up once every couple of years or so :)

Link to comment
Share on other sites

  • 2 months later...

I'm now guilty of needing to make an entry on this list.

 

I'm playing Sable and got about 80% the way through (I only have 2 masks outstanding) before discovering you can increase your stamina (which determines how high you can climb in what is ostensibly a climbing game) 🤦‍♂️

 

You can increase it 4 fold, so I've gone through most of the game only being able to climb as high 25% of what you ultimately can. There were whole sections where I just eventually concluded that the developers just didn't want you to access certain points. It was only near the end when I finally discovered the thing near the start of the game that lets you increase it.

 

What a total muppet. 

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/08/2021 at 20:22, Strafe said:

I did 35 hours of Monster Hunter Rise without realising you could block.

 

Probably at least 500 hours (probably a lot more) on the clock of Overwatch and at platinum level before I discovered that if you’re escorting the payload heals you.

My first Monster Hunter was 3 and I did about the same amount of time not knowing that the cart existed. I thought if your health bar depleted that was it - attempt over. It made for some amazingly tense moments, especially with the timer running down. I've kind of missed that since, to be honest.

 

I guess a bit like the Dark Souls bonfire thing and some of these others, playing the game in 'accidental hard mode' does at least have the benefit of forcing you to improve pretty quickly.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I ended up playing over 400 hours of dark souls. However, my first 4 hours were spent in that tutorial. I became a master of back stabs and parries of the starting enemies. Tried the boss several times. I remember thinking: “man they were not kidding about this game being difficult”. Then… I realised there was a sword on the ground I could pick up and equip. The game was so very easy afterwards all the way up to anor londo. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 16/08/2021 at 20:16, Qazimod said:

I completed Sekiro - only the once, but I beat ISS - and still couldn't quite grasp the ways of the Mikiri Counter. I kind of got it when doing the training, but in active combat I always messed up. It doesn't help that it's one of three perilous attacks (thrust/sweep/grab) but the symbol heralding any perilous attack is always the same, and so I'd often choose to run away if possible.

 

The counter is an optional unlock as well, so for all its use I could probably complete the game without unlocking the skill at all. :blush: 

Holy shit that must be difficult 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Secret of Mana.

The final boss. The Mana beast.

 

The only way I found I could damage the beast was once he'd done his swirly towards the screen attack - start to charge your weapon and get it to max attack. He appeared on the screen and you'd get one hit IF you timed it right.

 

This took absolutely ages because the hits were kind of weak, and sometimes I wouldn't quite get the charge up and your window to score this hit was literal seconds. The AI characters was also useless and didn't get any hits.

 

During the swirly attack too I discovered all I could do was to time a group heal so that it activated while the attack was passing through you all - and you suffered no damage.

This was vital because otherwise I couldn't dodge it and there were so many of these attacks because I was getting a maximum of one weak hit on the beast every cycle.

 

Thing is I remember finally doing this whole thing, which took so much trial and error. I felt I had cracked a big mystery, a hugely tough challenge. I felt proud and elated!

So happy in fact that I played the ending again with my SNES hooked up to my VHS recorder so I could catalogue me achieving this amazing feat. I even watched it back a couple of times, quite smug at myself.

 

Imagine my surprise/disgust when months later I found out that you could cast Mana Magic on the sword and you'd do loads of damage.

I booted the cart back up and finished the beast really, really quickly.

 

I never watched that video again.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 21/07/2021 at 11:17, Girth Certificate said:

I only just found out you can eat sweets to refill your life and keep topping up your body armour in GTA Online. Would have been helpful at various points in the last decade or so 😕 


…. what??? And you kept playing?

 

just so you know if you eat sweets in cover it skips the animation so you can fill up quicker

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 13:54, LowCostMonkey said:

I'm now guilty of needing to make an entry on this list.

 

I'm playing Sable and got about 80% the way through (I only have 2 masks outstanding) before discovering you can increase your stamina (which determines how high you can climb in what is ostensibly a climbing game) 🤦‍♂️

 

You can increase it 4 fold, so I've gone through most of the game only being able to climb as high 25% of what you ultimately can. There were whole sections where I just eventually concluded that the developers just didn't want you to access certain points. It was only near the end when I finally discovered the thing near the start of the game that lets you increase it.

 

What a total muppet. 

 

 

I am a similar muppet, except I only discovered this just now by reading your post...

Link to comment
Share on other sites

This is more about my inability to understand the rules of the game as well as the rules of American Footbal. But in the original John Madden game on the Megadrive, all I did to win games was do a fake field goal. That was my play every time. :lol:

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Ni No Kuni 2.

 

You can have a team of 3 members and 4 additional higgledies whom are like minor minions who provide their own advantages like healing bubbles, zones that mitigate elemental damage, strong attacks and what not. I played for many dozens of hours, unlocked dozens of different higgledies before I realised the higgledy setup can be changed in the Party menu. The vast majority of the game I played with the standard higgledy setup and never even noticed. That standard set is rather good though (cannon, healing, hefty dark AoE attack and one more).

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played through at least 2/3rds of Transformers Devastation before realising there were a load of upgrades and gear options in the menus. I'd just been playing with the default stuff I picked up so my power had in no way been scaling with the enemy boss encounters, which had turned into epic battles of attrition. I was quite pleased that I'd managed to get as far as I did.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

37 minutes ago, Pob said:

I played through at least 2/3rds of Transformers Devastation before realising there were a load of upgrades and gear options in the menus. I'd just been playing with the default stuff I picked up so my power had in no way been scaling with the enemy boss encounters, which had turned into epic battles of attrition. I was quite pleased that I'd managed to get as far as I did.

 

You got the touch.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 04/07/2018 at 21:31, carlospie said:

My two relates to ff7

 

in the slums I didn’t know how to progress on the attached screen, I thought you had to kill a certain amount of enemies, turns out there was just a plank of wood you had to run up. By the time I got out of here I had unlocked climhazzard!!!

 

i also did the whole game without using summons, I always equipped them and they never showed up in battle, turns out you had to scroll down on the menu 

663321E1-EF38-4FC0-ABF3-77C875E36BE3.jpeg

 

On 21/07/2021 at 21:54, carlospie said:

I played the whole of final fantasy 7 never knowing how to summon. I always equipped the materia but in battle they never showed up. It's because strangely the first summon doesn't appear on the first line you have to scroll down.

 

I also got stuck for weeks in one screen in midgar. It was a scrapyard that had an iron hand in it. I just couldn't figure out where to go and presumed you had to activate the hand but I couldn't do it. I ended up overlevelling massively and had the level 3 limit breaks by the time I left.

 

What year is it indeed!!

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 17:47, Oz said:

Holy shit that must be difficult 

Re Sekiro - I think that's pretty common experience to be honest. Having the one symbol for three different moves made it very hard to execute. A lot of people fell back on just dodging out the way rather than going for the counter. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

23 hours ago, Hylian said:

Re Sekiro - I think that's pretty common experience to be honest. Having the one symbol for three different moves made it very hard to execute. A lot of people fell back on just dodging out the way rather than going for the counter. 

Wow I could not have finished this game without the counter. The symbols are unimportant. I focussed on the animations. Not relevant for everything in the game but particularly our friend who said he did ishin without mikiri. That seems near impossible to me. I think one issue is my recollection of ishin is from new game plus and plus plus though. He is not fucking around.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 19/10/2021 at 17:47, Oz said:

Holy shit that must be difficult 

 

23 hours ago, Hylian said:

Re Sekiro - I think that's pretty common experience to be honest. Having the one symbol for three different moves made it very hard to execute. A lot of people fell back on just dodging out the way rather than going for the counter. 

 

All that my ineptitude really did was make the fights last longer, because it turned certain moves into a cue to GTFO. :D I could sometimes figure out which perilous attacks required a simple jump to safety (as @Oz says, just study the animations), but my counter execution was too unreliable under pressure.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

33 minutes ago, Qazimod said:

 

 

All that my ineptitude really did was make the fights last longer, because it turned certain moves into a cue to GTFO. :D I could sometimes figure out which perilous attacks required a simple jump to safety (as @Oz says, just study the animations), but my counter execution was too unreliable under pressure.

Managed to find my thoughts on it when I finished the game:

 

https://www.rllmukforum.com/index.php?/topic/303341-sekiro-shadows-die-twice/&do=findComment&comment=12292997

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at least 80 hours into Breath of the Wild when I realised Link’s bow aim wasn’t wobbly to simulate the tension of holding the bowstring taught, but because giro aiming was also on by default.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I beat Yhorm The Giant in Dark Souls 3 without using the Storm Ruler (the weapon it gives you to fight him)

 

I was a magic user so didn’t have any interest in the sword that was in the room. I worked out that if I was just the right distance and fired homing soul arrow it would get high enough to hit him in the head before disappearing. It was super tough but thought, well it is Dark Souls, so did that for the entire fight.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I played through Crows: Burning Edge a few months back. One particular level I spent literally hours on trying to find Rindaman. The maps weren’t all that big, but the way to him was a little tucked away. I finally found him and beat him. Imagine my horror a few stages later when I dropped the pad, it landed on the touch pad and brought up a fucking map with your objectives marked on it. In my defence the game is entirely in Japanese and I can’t read any, but I felt a right twat.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
 Share

  • Recently Browsing   0 members

    • No registered users viewing this page.
×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

We have placed cookies on your device to help make this website better. You can adjust your cookie settings, otherwise we'll assume you're okay to continue. Use of this website is subject to our Privacy Policy, Terms of Use, and Guidelines.