rllmuk

Oh FUCK YES! Xrd is definitely my favourite fighting game of the current generation but I totally missed playing the game at its peak player base. Definitely excited to get on the next version day 1!

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, JLM said:

They should call it Guilty Gear Four X, lots of cross-promotional money to be made with Castlemaine.

4X you say? I'd love to see Sid Meier’s Guilty Gear.

• Upvote 2

I only have one friend who plays Guilty Gear, it was one of the random people on my steam "friend" list .

thanks to this game we are becoming good friends.

If you are happy sticking with online gameplay you dont need a lot of people to play the game. Just a game with good netcode and a good internet connection.

I am still bad at the game. I mess up almost every roman cancel I try :lol:.  If someone here wants to try the game  contact me on Steam

Part 1.

TIMESTAMPS

00:00 Preview clip.

00:21 BornFree Intro.

02:00 Question/Topic: Introductions. The responsibilities of being an Influencer.

04:22 Question/Topic: E Honda and the SFV EVO DLC trailer / new characters.

06:18 Question/Topic: Is there anything that Capcom can do to bring new people into SFV now? More on the trailer / announcement.

11:15 Question/Topic: Reminiscing over E3 2015 when we played SFV for the first time. First impressions.

14:01 Question/Topic: The FGC vs BROADER potential fighting game market. Players vs fans/spectators?

19:07 Question/Topic: The current state and future of Capcom Fighting Games? Marvel? The genius of USF2.

23:52 Question/Topic: Has some of the fun been lost? Too much emphasis on balance and esports? SFV beta to final game. Anti-shoto game?

28:13 Question/Topic: From the launch of ‘Marvel vs Capcom 3’ til now. Hitting 1m subscribers. Evolution of content / type of content.

34:37 Question/Topic: Content creation “aha” moments? Growth of team and content? Working with Capcom. How Max grew his channel, eventually to 1m subs.

40:29 Question/Topic: You are known as a very hard worker. How do you maintain the grind / high workload? Learning as he goes!

44:16 Question/Topic: Was planning new ‘Assist Me’ for MVCI. Scripts were written. The X-Men?

45:49 Question/Topic: “MVCI is the best playing Capcom game since CVS2”. E3 and the “shilling” incident. The failure of Marvel. Will there be a new game?

50:16 Question/Topic: Would you play a Capcom Allstars in the style of Marvel vs Capcom? Functions!

51:38 Question/Topic: If Capcom release another fighting game, what should it be to capture peoples imagination? Gimmicks.

52:46 Question/Topic: Tekken’s appeal?

55:27 Question/Topic: End of part 1, tease of part 2…

• Upvote 2

Feel like I just stumbled into an alternate universe...

Samurai Showdown top 8 with JWong, Kazunoko, Ryan Hart on commentary and Inflitration!?

• Upvote 3

I know smash is not a fighting game but I've been working on some articles about the games competitive 2v2 player matches and one interesting thing I've found is how fighting games as a genre have always struggled to implement team play into their design outside of tag mechanics. I don't know if this will interest anyone but I thought I'd post the articles here to see if any of the concepts I talk about also apply to fighting games. Enjoy.
http://www.welshgaming.co.uk/super-smash-bros-a-case-for-doubles-parts-1-and-2/

http://www.welshgaming.co.uk/super-smash-bros-a-case-for-doubles-parts-3-and-4/

• Upvote 3

Another of BornFree's Evo interviews, this one had some absolutely fascinating stuff throughout. Brilliant that his first 'sponsorship' was the Namco arcade getting him a travel pass and a sandwich to play their games because he could beat people faster than the CPU. Savage moneymaking.

Looking forward to part two.

• Upvote 4

A Guilty Gear orientated trailer was made for a Liverpool event on the 21st of September (there's also SFV, MK, BB, ST, UNIST and Tekken). Should be a good event!

• Upvote 3

God bless this man for going on this most righteous of rants. It's at the point where I don't even bother getting excited about these games anymore because I know they'll shoot themselves in the foot by having the online experience be shite in one way or another.

Someone needs to translate that shit into Japanese and get it trending.

• Upvote 4

Reminds me of this miniature rant from TBFP offshoot Castle Super Beast - ignore the thumbnail, skip to 10:12... and you'll only have to listen for about two minutes so it's fine.

• Upvote 1

Samurai Shodown is a really good example. The gameplay is fantastic, they absolutely nailed it. It should probably be the default choice for anyone wanting to learn a 2D fighting game from scratch right now. But that's basically irrelevent since so many people will have bought it week one, seen the state of the UI, tried to go online, waited forever for matchmaking to work, had a few laggy matches, got dumped back to a waiting screen rather than the mode they were in, seen that they can't even rematch people in lobbies and they'll have thought 'Nah, fuck this. I've got better things to do with my time.'

And that's a lot of your most enthusiastic buyers gone forever at that point, even if you mildly improve things afterwards you can't really get that launch momentum back and you're a 'Discord fighter' within a matter of weeks. I clung on for a while more in hope than expectation but it felt pretty much done as a viable online thing very quickly unless you really wanted to spend time organising things outside the game just to play somewhat acceptably responsive matches with a really small pool of people.

It was completely inevitable that it'd be that way too, it's sad that it's hard to expect any different. Obviously it's a niche game in a niche genre but it had a decent amount of hype behind it this time and it won't ever be anything else if that's the experience that's offered and you can't give people a basic platform to get some good word of mouth promotion going. I wouldn't be surprised if later we get the developers giving off that usual vibe of 'Hey, we made the best game we could and no-one bought it, don't be surprised if you don't hear from this franchise again for the foreseeable.'

The new Guilty Gear looks stunning but the last one literally does not work online for what seems to be a hell of a lot of people due to some sort of router incompatibility and they've never even acknowledged it (presumably because it's only an issue for those outside Japan). Dragonball had similar. It'd be really cool to try and learn a Guilty Gear game a little bit but I won't be getting my hopes up about it.

I saw someone post in the Tekken subreddit the other day that they'd happily pay full price if the next game was basically just Tekken 7.5: This Time The Online Is Really Fucking Good Edition and I'd probably agree with the sentiment for most of the Japanese fighters out there.

Then they can start on adding some decent learning tools :lol: 

• Upvote 4

Like... Street Fighter V managed to turn it around in a lot of ways, but for a mainline series entry it launched in possibly the worst way. I've mentioned before that I contribute to a little site run by @Badger named Disposable Media, and when I geared myself up to post my first impressions... well, people were still getting kicked out of "offline" modes because of online connection issues, there were times when you didn't know whether something was loading or if it had crashed, there were no decent lobbies, there were no challenges and I even thought the "tutorial" was lacking details on certain fundamental concepts. As I wrote about all of this, I also mentioned that this situation is even more crappy because when you're actually playing a match you can have a good time.

E: I know this is a not Street Fighter thread but I feel like it's relevant in this discussion of iffy launches...

(Garou on PS4 was another one, but I almost went into that expecting a bare minimum approach to bells and whistles so I wasn't too upset :D )

That One Punch Man game looks like a great idea, hopefully it's a good 'un because it's a great license for a fighting game.

In "news nobody expected", Blade Strangers received a major free rebalancing patch and three more characters a couple of days before its first year anniversary of release. The new characters are Aban (from 1001 Spikes, a retro-style platformer), Piaa (from Doki Doki Poyacchio, a JP-only Harvest Moon-ish game), and, er, "Summer Kawase" which is Kawase but not wearing as much (I'm not sure if the moveset is different to regular Kawase).

I've had the opportunity to play a bit more of this thanks to the Blade Strangers Discord channel, and it's also on sale on all formats at the moment so if you're looking for a very accessible 1v1 fighter with a weird selection of characters, this is a good place to start.

• Upvote 1

They just released a new trailer for the next Guilty Gear at TGS and it looks ludicrously good. A big improvement from what was already one of the best looking videogames ever.

A wee glimpse of May at the end too.

Was hoping for a bit more of the mystery new character too, but that looks incredible. Am I going to have to find a good PS4 stick? I think my PC is much too old at this point!

The Brook converters are pretty reliable if you still have an Xbox stick so that might save a few quid. My sticks are all broken in different ways right now; I've been on a self-imposed fighting game ban since starting Sekiro.

Gonna wait to see what happens with the next gen consoles' compatibility before buying a new stick.

Yeah, I think I might be waiting for the PS5 upgrade too. I still use my 360 TE stick, yeah. It's remarkable how well it's holding up. Good to know about brook converters though - they don't still do that 8 minute disconnect nonsense though do they?

They don't time out no. There's occasionally an issue with the PS4 firmware updating and stopping the Brook from working, but the update for the converter tends to be available immediately and updating takes two minutes. They're very good. I'm still on my 360 TE as well. Changed out the ball top to a different colour a while ago so it was easier to spot it at tournaments but other than that it's still going strong on the original parts. What a great purchase it has been. :) 

• Upvote 3

My 360 TE has rusty bolts and the topplate is a bit wonky but still works fine, no wonder madcatz went under!

Yesterday I received MK11 on the switch, first MK since... the first one on SNES. :blah:

It works great! Super impressed by the tutorial.

The game style is so cheesy that I am actually embracing it. It makes me feel like im 11yo again :blah:

It would be great to have Tekken or SF on the switch, even as a training tool while watching crap tv with the missus.

On 13/08/2019 at 23:49, Jonster said:

A Guilty Gear orientated trailer was made for a Liverpool event on the 21st of September (there's also SFV, MK, BB, ST, UNIST and Tekken). Should be a good event!

This is my* event! Absolutely fucking excited/petrified right now. We're at like 130 people and I only expected 80 o god o fuck

*well, our

• Upvote 5