I'm not a tag fighter guy, but I'll definitely give that a go in 2023! Graphical style looks nice, I like the cel shading. Wish they'd cut a few more in between frames in the animations to give it more of a 2D feel like SFIV or a modern GG though. At the moment it looks to suffer a bit from the indistinct silhouettes that you get in most 2.5D fighting games.

I don't think it is a tag fighter exactly, is it? They seemed careful to call it an 'assist-based fighter' so I'm guessing you have your character then select any other character who'll essentially give you a unique special move. I was looking out for anyone tagging and staying in but might've missed it.

Edit: Press release says 'tag-team style' which isn't exactly super clear either!

When the rumours about Street Fighter VI going back to the drawing board after being team-based were going around I remember wondering on here if it might've actually been something like that rather than tagging in and out or KOF style teams. Not sure it would've been a great fit for Street Fighter but I like as a concept.

It looks so much nicer than the first few clips that were shown, it should be a looker if it's still got another year or so of development to go.

I know nothing about league of legends, but it looks pretty nice.

I’m slightly turned off by the easy input stuff, although I don’t know why as I’m rubbish anyway, so it’s probably good for me!

looking forward to seeing more of it, but presumably it’s not going to be out for ages.

12 hours ago, Fuddle said:

I know nothing about league of legends, but it looks pretty nice.

I’m slightly turned off by the easy input stuff, although I don’t know why as I’m rubbish anyway, so it’s probably good for me!

looking forward to seeing more of it, but presumably it’s not going to be out for ages.

League of Legends have just produced a tie-in series on Netflix called Arcane.. it's gorgeously animated and (amazingly) is also well written and a quality production across the board, it sets up the world and tells the backstory of at least some of the characters who will be in the game..

It's honestly worth checking out - even if you have no interest in either the main game or this.

18 hours ago, Qazimod said:

It would be nice if Project L blew up and made other studios look at their awful netcode. But then you could have said that about KI, Skullgirls, MKX, Them's Fightin' Herds... well, most GGPO things. :P 

Well, GGST has come out with the best netcode of all and been a huge success, which at least made SNK and French Bread switch to rollback netcode for Melty Blood: Type Lumina and KoF XV respectively. MB's code needs a bit of touching up, but has at least been better than old delay based stuff. KoF apparently is rife with one-sided rollbacks which seems pretty rough, but at least they have time to try and fix it...

I have no doubt the Canon bros' rollback will be superlative in Project L though!

20 hours ago, Rsdio said:

I don't think it is a tag fighter exactly, is it? They seemed careful to call it an 'assist-based fighter' so I'm guessing you have your character then select any other character who'll essentially give you a unique special move. I was looking out for anyone tagging and staying in but might've missed it.

Edit: Press release says 'tag-team style' which isn't exactly super clear either!

When the rumours about Street Fighter VI going back to the drawing board after being team-based were going around I remember wondering on here if it might've actually been something like that rather than tagging in and out or KOF style teams. Not sure it would've been a great fit for Street Fighter but I like as a concept.

It looks so much nicer than the first few clips that were shown, it should be a looker if it's still got another year or so of development to go.

Good point, on them not specifying if it is a proper tag fighter, but either way what I failed to express was that I'm not generally a big fan of Marvel-assist style gameplay - I don't like the long bouts of difficult-to-blockables into reeeeally long combos into oki. The combos look a lot like MVC3 to me in terms of the character movement and physics, but obviously it's too early to know how it'll actually play!

Yeah I don't think it can be underestimated how much Guilty Gear Strive has done for the fighting game community in general. It's set a template for well implemented netcode that has actually got people wanting to play. I can't help but laugh when people still find ways online to complain about the game when it's single handedly made the games those people love better simply by existing.

34 minutes ago, imp said:

Well, GGST has come out with the best netcode of all and been a huge success, which at least made SNK and French Bread switch to rollback netcode for Melty Blood: Type Lumina and KoF XV respectively. MB's code needs a bit of touching up, but has at least been better than old delay based stuff. KoF apparently is rife with one-sided rollbacks which seems pretty rough, but at least they have time to try and fix it...

I can’t believe I forgot GG, but yes. All of this.

DNF Duel, developed by Arcsys is starting to ramp up promotion, having released a short new teaser and a couple of character videos this week.

It looks to have auto combos like Persona or Granblue, and while the character design is a bit on the teen-tastic side for my taste, I'm really excited as I absolutely love Granblue, and if this plays at all similarly while also having good rollback netcode I'll definitely be giving it a fair bit of my time!

I also really wish Granblue could be patched with rollback netcode though. I miss the foozies!

Could not agree more. Myself and my little handful of friends who also adore Granblue are also hoping this is essentially Granblue 2 with decent netcode. I have faith in Arcsys to deliver this so will be watching DNFD very closely. 

From what I remember Ultimax is a pretty substantial upgrade to Arena, as well as being an ace game in its own right, so this is great news. I’ll still mostly thrash around in Arcade mode because nobody needs to deal with my flaky internet, but more PC ports of Atlus things are always welcome.

Really liking the look of this. Love that we know so little about the systems and mechanics ahead of the beta, will be great fun to have the genuine day 1 experience with it. 

I am very salty that Blazblue Central Fiction and BB Tag have both had rollback added to them but Granblue still gets no love. I'm counting on DNF Duel to soften the blow. 

@JLM I know man... there's a player survey for GB at the moment (looks like it'll be getting two more characters and a balance update soon) and I basically just asked pretty please for rollback. 

Did you watch GBVS at CEO? I watched top and and am in the middle of the 10v10 exhibition and man, I really do miss this game. The pace and damage seem so alien after six months of mainlining GGST though!

Man, I've gotten old. The Christian aspects of this character's design and moveset make me feel kind of uncomfortable! (The moveset looks pretty sick though, tbh!)

Things sure have changed since the 90s, huh.

1 hour ago, Benny said:

The way anime appropriates Christian imagery in absurdly over the top ways is pretty amusing considering we've done exactly the same in Western media with Japanese culture over time.

Don't get me wrong, my favourite anime is Evangelion, so I've got no problems with adapting Christian iconography for the sake of aesthetics. This for whatever reason weirds me out, as does the implication that Jesus existed within the world of this game! Then again I don't know anything about the game's setting? Is it real world?! I assumed it was a fantasy setting.

No, the beta cannot be downloaded yet - I checked about an hour ago.

32 minutes ago, JLM said:

Command lists are  up: https://dfoarchive.blogspot.com/2021/12/dnf-duel-manual-command-lists.html?fbclid=IwAR0B1BXlQ4-N-7R_6Vxt2EGoqkEDdrSxDEC8KqvBKOWpLt1zYCOYriwEtE4

System videos to follow.

Inputs are Granblue style. Direction + Special button, or can do QCF/DP Motion etc. 

Cheers for this. Guessing easy inputs means cooldowns from GBVS as well.

Those button names are very confusing though!  "MS" is the shorthand for "MP skill button"? How does MP work!? Is it just the name for special meter, or another separate resource? Also, I was like "OK, this is a 3 button game" after seeing the commands listed as using S, MS, and AS, but then one character needs "B" button as an input, so it's more likely a 5 or 6 button game? I'm confused. Very curious about whether this game will have a dash macro like GG or a block button like GBVS as well!

Only think I don't like the sound of so far is reference to a guard meter. Always hated guard crush as a mechanic in fighting games. It feels like winning at rock paper scissors by punching your opponent in the hand with rock until they give up. I have faith there will be other defensive mechanics to mitigate this though, as there is some oppressive looking stuff in these trailers! 

Has a combination of SFV white life and Killer Instinct white life going on. Interesting. Unless it was only happening on block. Then it’s just SFV white life. 

Nice clean HUD. 

Trying my best not to get over excited but this is looking so good.