Ah, that's a shame. Not really much to write home about? I thought I'd best mention it anyway just in case it was a hidden banger.

I really love the rough and ready artstyle of "Pomeron", the shooting game he's been working on, and some of the character designs in his fighting game looked pretty unique.

Ah sorry, I meant more in the sense of a video saying a thousand words! Hard to say much other than 'this game is off its nut'.

I enjoyed what I played of it, it was really.. Something.

His shooter looks really good, thanks for the heads-up on that :)

Been on a bit of a fighter kick recently.

Bought KoF 98 & 2000 on PS4 and KoF 99 on Switch for pennies.

Also bought Garou and Last Blade 2 on PS4.

Looking at KoF 2002 UM on PS4.

I see Fighting EX Layer is £5.79 on PSN at the moment and I really liked SF EX Plus Alpha back in the day. Is it worth picking up?

I'd say EX Layer is well worth it at that price, yeah. It has plenty of fun and goofy combos and it was updated to use rollback netcode (not there are ever any opponents online to test it on). I've never played the SF EX games so I dunno how they compare.

• 1 month later...

Sony have acquired EVO? Curious to see if this suggests another gen of Playstation as the main console for fighting games but I really hope it doesn't mean Street Fighter/King of Fighters/Guilty Gear stay exclusive to PS4/5 again.

Wasn't Mr Wiz made to stand down after the sexual abuse allegations? I guess that doesn't necessarily mean he no longer had a financial stake. But yeah, CEO is great. And Combo Breaker.

MarkMan has clarified that EVO will remain open to non-Playstation platforms so we should still see Killer Instinct and, uh, Smash I guess.

Battle Arena Toshinden on DMG is a 10 for me. True fact, but I used to let the 4 year old barbarian kids down my street sit quietly and watch me complete this as random-bitch character. They really loved the kawaii graphics and the skeletor samurai boss, which they cheered me on to beat like hissing Indiana Jones snakes, and then thankfully I felt it didn't inspire these kids to throw cutlery at their mom during dinner - I actually got thanked for a change this was reasonable babysitting whatever? You can in terms of late 90's standards attribute this game as being Misato from Evangelion, but mom types like playing veg-chopping kawaii games since it reduces aggression at, bad weather or whatever. Really hated getting my trainers muddy as hell, screw you English habitat.

Also good for anyone that enjoys Soul Calibur is the versus mode in Sword Art Online Lost Song (9). Couldn't beat the bots in this actually, because Arbiter type constructs are a total bastard when flipped around as enemies. Seriously though, restecpa to anyone who masters this mode, from now on you shall be called Neeeeeil. *fist pump*

Fighting game comrades.  After playing a smidgen of Mortal Kombat X recently with my step son I got a hankering for some fightin'. 

However.  I reaaaaaally want to play Virtua Fighter.  It's my absolute fave.  But I have no playstation or xbox these days.  

Am I screwed? Is there a way for me to play VF on PC?  Am thinking emulated PS3/360 version, unless there's a much easier option I'm missing? 

Does anyone know if the emulated versions might be able to play online? 

(PS this is the first step of me researching this topic, will update if I find anything!)

You could play Virtua Fighter 5 Final Showdown and/or Virtua Fighter 2, the arcade versions, via Yakuza Like A Dragon or Judgement. Or Yakuza 6 as well I think, which is on Game Pass.

I've only played Like A Dragon but VF5 in vs. mode is immediately selectable via the main menu in that.

For online in those it'd have to be some sort of remote-play shenanigans though.

Curses!  Got PS3 VF5 Final Showdown working, then realised it doesn't have that nice pretend 'playing online' offline mode for unlocking costumes and stuff.  'Quest mode'? I loved that shit! :(

The search continues. 

Oh golly VF4 Evo on PS2 is way easier to organise.  That game had the best single player ever.  Probably the main reason I hold VF so dearly.  It taught me so much!

Vf4 is sooooo good. But I'm missing the online... 

Tried installing Ultra SF4 for nostalgia, couldn't find a game at all. Shame as my chunners muscle memory kicked straight back in! 

Tried SFV CE.. God I'm bad! I had a thousand ish PP or BP (or whichever points it uses) but couldn't play Chun for toffee! Weird. 

But it got me thinking, for my tastes SFV is a little too execution-heavy, like I find the combo inputs so intense, that it's hard to get into strategy, you have to build up so much muscle memory. 

Is there a game people would recommend that is less intense in that regard?

Like I'd say for me VF is a good level of execution complexity, a lot of the moves are single direction + button(s) and there aren't really any daft 1/2/3frame dial a combos and lightning speed hit confirms. 

Soooo... Any recommends? (on PC please!) 

10 hours ago, robdood said:

Vf4 is sooooo good. But I'm missing the online... 

Tried installing Ultra SF4 for nostalgia, couldn't find a game at all. Shame as my chunners muscle memory kicked straight back in! 

Tried SFV CE.. God I'm bad! I had a thousand ish PP or BP (or whichever points it uses) but couldn't play Chun for toffee! Weird. 

But it got me thinking, for my tastes SFV is a little too execution-heavy, like I find the combo inputs so intense, that it's hard to get into strategy, you have to build up so much muscle memory. 

Is there a game people would recommend that is less intense in that regard?

Like I'd say for me VF is a good level of execution complexity, a lot of the moves are single direction + button(s) and there aren't really any daft 1/2/3frame dial a combos and lightning speed hit confirms. 

Soooo... Any recommends? (on PC please!) 

Interesting that you say SFV is too execution heavy as this is something they chose to lessen for this iteration of the game.
They implemented a buffer window for links so as long as you land in the window you get the link. They’re also quite liberal on inputs. It’s way easier to do stuff compared to SFIV.

I actually read an interview with Yu Suzuki the other day and he said if he were to work on a VF6 he would want to abolish execution heavy play and work more on strategies/choices.

TBH I think you need both. I know a lot of pros were salty with that loss of skill gap in SFV and I think you need pros like celebs to push your game.

tl;dr - I don’t have any recommendations.

That all makes sense, but I'm the kind of person who's never truly been able to consistently pull off double fireball motions. Even on a stick!  

Trying the trials with chun the other night was maddening. The precision needed to do basic normal chains is still insane. 

Its just means there's a bunch of strategies I cant access as a player. It sucks. 

Fuck the pros, I reckon there's a market for a slower paced, easy to operate fighting game, that's more about strategy and forced choice tactics. 

Fantasy Strike is a free-to-play 2D fighter that simplifies special move inputs to button presses, is slower aced and isn't combo heavy. You can't duck either, so there's no need to worry about defending against high-low mix-ups from your opponent. It's available on most platforms too. 

Of the currently popular fighting games Street Fighter V is likely the easiest execution-wise for the reasons @Goemon gave. Tekken 7 has similar input style to Virtua Fighter (and one-button, armoured super moves) though the timing on some of the juggles can be strict and the movement/defence can be complex. It's easy enough to jump in and press a few good buttons though.

Some folk find Mortal Kombat 11 more accessible since you can just tap in your combo with very lenient timing. I personally find it much trickier but the game itself is an amazing package plus it has better netcode than most other fighting games.

Power Rangers: Battle For The Grid I haven't played but I believe the inputs are simplified (though the combos themselves can get quite complex). 

GUILTY GEAR ACCENT CORE +R.

No, seriously, hear me out.

It's wildly execution-heavy at the very top end, but you really don't need to know much to have a good time, as every character except one can just do light, medium, heavy into a special move without having to worry about frame perfect timings. Heck, you can even chain into sweep! TBF, most anime style games let you do this, but this particular one also has the advantage of having really good rollback netcode and a decent number of people playing online while they wait for Strive, and it's on sale for £3.14 every other day, seemingly. Also double jumping and air dashing around like a maniac is fun.

Another potential option is Granblue VS.

It's a similar pace to Street Fighter V but has a couple of innovations that make it more accessible. You can press the same attack button 3 times (no timing restrictions) for a pre-fab combo that you can cancel into a special move. Surprisingly this is not flat out "bad". Of course there are more optimised situational combos to do in the game, but these will do you just fine, so you can focus on the other aspects of the game like reading your opponent without worrying you'll drop your combo when you get your chance. Secondly there is a "special move" button. Like fantasy strike, specials have a cooldown timer, and the penalty for using this button is that your specials have longer cooldown. But honestly, the penalty is hardly huge. Also all super moves have a simplified input of one quarter circle + the special button + an attack button so will be much easier to execute. Unfortunately the netcode isn't the best, however.

On 23/03/2021 at 20:39, robdood said:

Fighting game comrades.  After playing a smidgen of Mortal Kombat X recently with my step son I got a hankering for some fightin'. 

You should really try MK11. They got a really nice sweet spot with that game. Slower than most 2D but faster than Tekken.

I started playing very recently just to fill time  when strive was delayed. But now I'm hooked!.

I am beginning to think it is the best fighting game this generation.

I'm mostly a casual player I usually play a simple vanilla  character per game (Ryu/Sol/Jago/Asuka) but for some reason I want to learn and try many characters in MK11. I started with Scorpion and now I'm trying Cassie and Kotal but on my list I have Johnny, Sub, Fujin, Zheng.

I even got into the crazy  lore. There is an American podcast, nethercast that is really good.

It’s probably still a bit intimidating, but doesn’t Fighting EX Layer have an option for easy inputs, where things like motions are replaced with tilts? It might be worth looking into.

(I’ve no idea how it works in terms of matchmaking though!)

Thanks all!  Some things for me to look into for sure :)

Does anyone remember IK / IK plus back in the home computer days?  I think I'm hankering for something thats like a modern version of that. 

One Strike on Switch/Steam is a one-hit KO fighter that might be of interest. It doesn't have the points system of IK but it keeps things basic but still varied.

For not-strictly-fighting-games choices I'd strongly recommend looking at Nidhogg (or its sequel) and Lethal League (or its sequel) as well; they definitely inspire the same competitive spirit that fighting games do.