IGNORED

Halo - Paramount + TV Series (was originally going to be on Showtime)

The Boatman

I personally don’t want it to follow the games, I’d love a new adventure for him to go on in the style of the games.

Basically, I just think Master Chief has been pushed to the side to concentrate on John, which I’m finding pretty tedious.

Meant to post this sooner but anyone who fancies a further and maybe slightly different angle to what the show is focussing on should pick up The Fall of Reach, First Strike and Ghosts of Onyx books. Ghosts in particular is a fucking excellent story in its own right with Spartan-052 Kurt the focus rather than John.

Fall of Reach also does a brilliant job of covering the origins of the Spartan program, John growing up in the Programme and then his perspective on the events covered in the Reach game.

Starting episode 4 now :)

It's really very good indeed. I'm really liking how they're doing the spartans. Just watched ep.4, and watching them interact was fantastic. They've really done a good job in making them feel distinctly...different.

Aces.

Well that was simultaneously the quickest escalation of shit hitting the fan and the previously discussed 'pay-off' hitting the mark. Fuck me, that was incredible.

So much going on, so many great little moments and all shot in a way that made it all clear to make out. I'll take 4 or 5 seasons of this no problem thank you very much.

Spoiler

The Spartan's sprinting ahead of the Warthog, "I cant let her die", landing on the Banshee, CQC with the Grunts and Jackals, then fucking BOOM, "Cortana I'm going to need a weapon". Every step from the first explosion to the last bullet John fires was a lesson in how you handle an action set piece with critical character moments. Just fucking perfect!

23 hours ago, Mallet said:

Does it spoil any thing in the games if you haven't got around to playing them yet?

Not really. So far it's telling its own story loosely based on characters and concepts from the games and expanded universe stuff, and the focus is quite different to the games.

The show does quite quickly introduce stuff not seen in the games until Halo 2, but there's also loads of stuff in the first game that the show hasn't touched on at all in season 1.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it.

11 minutes ago, Mogster said:

Not really. So far it's telling its own story loosely based on characters and concepts from the games and expanded universe stuff, and the focus is quite different to the games.

The show does quite quickly introduce stuff not seen in the games until Halo 2, but there's also loads of stuff in the first game that the show hasn't touched on at all in season 1.

Basically I wouldn't worry about it.

Thanks, you get a month free with gamepass so I'll have to give it a try 

• 2 weeks later...

Finally getting around to the Channel 5 broadcast of episode 1, and it feels like a natural successor to Space Above and Beyond and the BSG reboot as military-centred SF. Did wonder when they’d get around to that.

The broadcast looks really bad though? Really blown out and crushed like it was badly converted from HDR, and which makes all the effects (CGI and not) look fake. The ads looked fine so I’m guessing it’s a one off.

Really enjoyed the first few episodes...

They obviously blew a lot of budget in that opening set-piece which was, tbf, fucking ace.  

Would rather MC wasn't out of his armour so much... but they've just introduced Cortana and she's *perfect*.

2 hours ago, jonamok said:

Has this disappeared from Sky+ then? Can’t find it anywhere. Have Movies sub. Was there previously.

Can you not see it when you go into the Paramount+ app through the Sky menus?

Doing that or just a normal search bring it up as a link into Paramount+

32 minutes ago, MardiganX said:

Can you not see it when you go into the Paramount+ app through the Sky menus?

Doing that or just a normal search bring it up as a link into Paramount+

Thanks. Using the EPG, had to go into Sky Cinema, then found P+ in the left-hand menu, then TV shows, then it was in there.

Weird it didn’t pop up in the system-level search. Definitely used to.

On 26/07/2022 at 19:57, scottcr said:

When does episode 8 appear!?!

The final episode of the season is on Paramount+ in the UK today. It was my pre-work treat!

I didn't think that this would amount to much when I saw the initial trailer but it's been one my favourite shows of the year.

I’m not sure they could have done this season any better. It not only delivers as a fantastic opening season, but lays the foundations for even better to come. So many pay-off moments and the final set piece was beautifully shot. Not a single angle or scene unclear and everything done with real purpose.

There is more than a hint of book material in how they tied up the ending, which I was buzzing to see, so really can’t wait for the next season and just want it now.

Halo completely blew away my expectations after some weird backlash it was getting online. It was great, and the opening scenes establishing the significant threat, and then how completely baddass Master Chief is...👌

• 4 weeks later...

Watched them all this week in the evenings and just finished the last three tonight of this season. What an excellent show.

I've got Sky Movies, so have the free account with Paramount+, but screw watching this in the UK not in 4K HDR without Atmos sound.  I yarred the HDR H265 with Atmos rips and I'm so glad I did.

Doing the same for Star Trek: Strange New Worlds, too.

Paramount need to sort their shit out and get a proper app out in the UK with HDR/Atmos and all the trimmings like Netflix/Prime/Disney+ if they are to keep any self respecting subs.  And they need to do it very soon too.

Anyway, back to loving this Halo show.

It really is a great show, with some great characters, a great villain, great action, great surprises, and a great Vangelis-inspired score.

Pablo Schreiber was really good overall and I think hes pretty great in everything I've seen him in.  Was slighlty disappointed that at no point did he ever refer to anyone as 'dead wife', though.  I'm hoping the script writers can find room for it in future seasons.  :)

Kate Kennedy as Kai was surperb as well and I really hope they don't screw her over.  Riz and Vannak can get bent if you ask me, unless they lose something.

I liked how and why they killed off who they did this season, too.  I thought they all greatly deserved it.