rllmuk
JohnC

Spider-Man: Far from Home (Homecoming sequel)

Just got back, really enjoyed it.

I had a few quibbles, I think (spoilers below) but overall I thought it was a banging success.

Spoiler

I totally bought the blip being a less critical sad thing for kids in school. Kids are resilient and self-absorbed, of course it would be how inconvenient and annoying it was that would be the primary issue.

And Mysterio's villain toasting, while a little clunky with the retconning, was also something I thought was believeable. He's an overblown office drone. It's Jim Carrey as The Riddler again. He'd totally be on a mission to show he was a good manager, unlike Stark.

I thought Fury was being too harsh on Spider-Man, but of course that's explained later, as is Fury's credulity.

What I thought was a bit lacking was that Spidey's anger with Mysterio was essentially just about the lies and destruction. The Spider-Man I've read over the years would also have been full of righteous indignation with the plan in general: Mysterio is right that the post-Endgame Earth is short on heroes and needs to something to believe in, and Mysterio does actually have the capability to be working for the world. Instead, he's seeking self-enrichment. Spider-Man should be personally angry that Mysterio doesn't understand the Great Power/Great Responsibility thing.

I don't think Spider-Man would just walk off from a mission like he does in Venice, either.

But overall, I thought it was great. Funny, didn't overstay its welcome, had heart. MJ, Ned, Peter all were great, Happy and May were great, Beck was excellent.

Same, just got back from seeing it too.

Spoiler

Started off promising, then dipped a bit with the school news section before picking up properly. Overall I think its a good MCU film, but not as good as Homecoming. As I knew the character and his backstory from the comics, the "reveal" of the real Mysterio wasnt that big of a thing, but I did think it was daft that Peter just gives him the glasses after only being with him for like a few days.

Fury and Hill were a bit out of character throughout, with Hill acting a bit odd at the start of the film, seeming to be a tad frustrated with Fury just before they meet Beck, and Fury himself felt a bit too gullible, and offish with Parker (as others have noted). I did catch the "Kree sleeper cell" line, and thought that was an odd thing to be saying during the events of the movie, but of course after the post credits scene it made perfect sense.

Did anyone else think that Dimitri guy felt out of place working for Fury? Also who the hell was that blonde haired woman with the foreign accent? Were these two characters (and the school bus guy) a nod to them being the Chameleon?

Anyway, I enjoyed it, minor quibbles aside, and the mid credits scene was also a nice surprise. Its going to be tough waiting for the next mcu film though.

4 minutes ago, Mr Ben said:
Spoiler

Also who the hell was that blonde haired woman with the foreign accent?

Spoiler

I've seen some fans speculating that she could be Yelena Belova, one of the other characters to use the Black Widow codename, but in the film she's just credited as "The Seamstress".

The actress's IMDb page's "Did you know" section says "Trademark: Towering height". :lol:

This was really good. Great action scenes, funny in all the right places, great twists and turns, awesome credit scenes. Marvelous.

• Upvote 1

This was great!

Best bit was the

nightmare illusion sequence, a really cool end of act 2 that gave a good taste of what Spidey was up against. I thought Mysterio was loads better than Vulture.

1 hour ago, Triple A said:

This was great!

Best bit was the

Hide contents

nightmare illusion sequence, a really cool end of act 2 that gave a good taste of what Spidey was up against. I thought Mysterio was loads better than Vulture.

Vulture's motives were far more compelling.

• Upvote 6

Just back from seeing this.

Thought it was amazing! 

Thought Gyllenhaal was really great.

Some good laughs throughout.

Tom Holland is the best Spider-Man.

• Upvote 2

34 minutes ago, drmick said:

I also thought he was far more threatening. The scene with him and Peter Parker in the car is one of my favourites. 

• Upvote 6

On 07/07/2019 at 04:08, Nick R said:

I don't agree with her main criticisms at all. She is absolutely saying different versions of the character are not okay, which just doesn't make any sort of sense in the context of a character who has been through all sorts of different interpretations over the course of nearly 60 years. I do not recognise her preferred Spidey from the comic books that I used to read 25-30 years ago, and I think the MCU has done a better job of distilling the essence of that multi-faceted character than any of the dour Sony versions. The only point I slightly agree with her is that it is a *little* disappointing that he's been turned into a mini Iron-Man, but it's not the end of the world for me. Her point about the music is just full-on crazy.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 2

On 06/07/2019 at 20:08, Nick R said:

Gail Simone's comments on the movie:

Using Threadreaderapp because https://www.dscho.com/threadbare/ is down: :(

He isn’t the same character as before, he’s not even the same as Homecoming, because he’s been through some pretty life changing events since then.

He got dragged into some serious shit, got dusted, and then his father figure & mentor died.  The movie spells it out pretty clearly, he’s tired and doesn’t want to be Spider-Man any more, maybe not forever but definitely for the foreseeable future.  This isn’t the same carefree kid we saw in earlier films, he may be again but right now he’s dealing with shit, he’s mourning.

None of this is subtext, it’s all pretty explicitly stated by the film.

Also he only seemed to do the quips when it was fun, or against low level goons.  He’s wasn’t quipping when facing the vulture iirc, and none of the fights in this film are like that.  

• Upvote 1

I thought this was great. It was a shame Spidey was the straight man, but I understand why that was important as a transition for him. 

The rest was equal parts National Lampoon / Weird Science / Christopher Reeve Superman, which was very charming. Also, by far the best and most personal story arc in the MCU to date - I'm just as happy watching Peter Parker's life outside of superheroics as I am watching him do the do, which is unique to him in the MCU. I really hope phase 4 has more of these personal story arcs :)

• Upvote 3

7 hours ago, Tourist said:

I don't agree with her main criticisms at all.

I do not recognise her preferred Spidey from the comic books that I used to read 25-30 years ago.

I do agree with her to an extent. In making the (smart) decision not to give this Spider-Man an origin setup, they've (I think) left him morally  unmoored as a character to an extent. His one driving force is essentially "don't let Tony down." While that does make sense for a lot of readings of Spider-Man, (who I've definitely read before being disappointed by surrogate father figures in the wake of Uncle Ben) the Spider-Man I read was also much more self-driven to need to do good.

He's absolutely a hero for today - punching up at people abusing power - and the Spider-Man from the comics would not have been so in thrall to Tony (whose lack of care for actual people he's directly seen in Homecoming, in the Vulture.)

There's a lot of stuff in the general sense and in this movie that I think they get bang on. But I did think myself that there's something not quite gelling, and it's in that area.

7 hours ago, Tourist said:

I think the MCU has done a better job of distilling the essence of that multi-faceted character than any of the dour Sony versions.

But I totally agree with this. Even though I liked Garfield, I think the current version is by far the best we've had.

• Upvote 4
  • Downvote 1

I liked this a lot, though I like a lot of MCU movies I feel it could be trimmed in places.

Spoiler

I get that the skrull reveal at the end is cute, explaining why Hill and Fury have been acting a bit weird for the whole movie, but I don’t really get why you’d want them to act weird for the whole movie. I didn’t enjoy the scenes with them and Peter, and I don’t feel like explaining them later resolved that or makes it worth doing.

Ditto the story with the other guy competing with Peter for MJ’s attention, it just kind of ended and I don’t understand why it was there. And Ned and Betty’s relationship. Felt like filler.

Everything else was good. Loved the scene with him working on the jet and all the stuff with him and MJ.

• Upvote 2

23 minutes ago, Broker said:

I liked this a lot, though I like a lot of MCU movies I feel it could be trimmed in places.

Hide contents

Ditto the story with the other guy competing with Peter for MJ’s attention, it just kind of ended and I don’t understand why it was there. And Ned and Betty’s relationship. Felt like filler.

Spoiler

I think he was there just as a representation of the Blip because all his other class mates had been dusted. I guess it was just some form of visual representation.

Ned needed something to do, that's it really. Homecoming was more about their relationship so we go more Ned being integral to things, this one more about Peter and MJ though.

31 minutes ago, Broker said:

Hide contents

I get that the skrull reveal at the end is cute, explaining why Hill and Fury have been acting a bit weird for the whole movie, but I don’t really get why you’d want them to act weird for the whole movie. I didn’t enjoy the scenes with them and Peter, and I don’t feel like explaining them later resolved that or makes it worth doing.

I guess this will have further ramifications in future movies and plots. I agree, for the sake of a one off credits joke it would be a weird choice to make but we clearly see them setting up some big stuff for Fury in his space setting. 

It wouldn’t be the first time a Marvel movie made choices that were detrimental to its plot or pacing to set up later movies.

• Upvote 2

I didn't like 

That Peter's spidey sense wasn't working (though he still seemed to dodge things in the action scenes) but came back for the final act because he *needed* it too, it didn't feel that he got over his block through self realisation more necessity

• Upvote 3

6 minutes ago, Delargey said:

I didn't like 

Hide contents

That Peter's spidey sense wasn't working (though he still seemed to dodge things in the action scenes) but came back for the final act because he *needed* it too, it didn't feel that he got over his block through self realisation more necessity

Spoiler

That was all a bit throw away. Felt like it was hardly mentioned then just thrown in as a roadblock to be brushed aside at the end.

I don't think we were supposed to know that it did work as specifically as it could by the end of this movie. We've not seen him use it anywhere else in the MCU. Just the arm hairs raising when Infinity War kicked off, right? I was taken aback by it also - it did feel sudden.

Just came back from this, really enjoyed it.  I knew of Mysterion from the comics so what happened with him wasn’t anything particularly surprising but I think they did him really well.  Regarding his powers;

Spoiler

I wondered how they’d explain those as obviously from the trailers they didn’t want to spill that he had none and it was all smoke and mirrors.  But I liked how they tied it back to tech we’d already seen by making him the guy who invented the hologram machine from Civil War, and they’d obviously put in a load of thought about how he’d do it, with weaponised drones and even overlapping the effects onto him (I kind of loved how his “real”costume was actually a mocap suit).

I liked how they explained the snap stuff too, especially mentioning stuff like how coming back had affected people when stuff had moved on around them.  Seems a bit convenient that all the main kids from the last film “blipped” as well as Peter making them the same age still.

One thing towards the end I spotted which isn’t major but seemed like a little nod to me....

Spoiler

There’s a scene near the end where it’s like a building site and there’s “phases” on it and they’ve got 1,2 and 3 on there linked by arrows and the arrow leading off 3 leads to a question mark and it says “we can’t wait to show you what’s coming next”.  It could be nothing, and even if it’s intended, all it’s really saying is this is the end of phase 3 of the MCU and they’ve got more planned.  It seemed to in shot to not have been meant as a little hidden message, even if its not really telling us much we didn’t know

And lastly regarding the end credit scenes;

Spoiler

Loved seeing Simmons back as JJJ!  That one did seem to set up something for another film so it’ll be interesting to see where that goes.

As for the last one, I did hear them mention Skrulls before then which sounded like it was meant to be heard but I didn’t twig it meant that.  I’m assuming this is also to set up another film, but I don’t know what? It looked like he was at a Skrull base working but im not sure what that would link to as I didn’t recognise anything else....any ideas?

• Upvote 2

45 minutes ago, George Clooney said:

One thing towards the end I spotted which isn’t major but seemed like a little nod to me....

Hide contents

There’s a scene near the end where it’s like a building site and there’s “phases” on it and they’ve got 1,2 and 3 on there linked by arrows and the arrow leading off 3 leads to a question mark and it says “we can’t wait to show you what’s coming next”.  It could be nothing, and even if it’s intended, all it’s really saying is this is the end of phase 3 of the MCU and they’ve got more planned.  It seemed to in shot to not have been meant as a little hidden message, even if its not really telling us much we didn’t know

That's definitely a nod to... something. I saw someone point out that information appeared on or near 'Avengers Tower' which was last being seen sold off in Homecoming. It could simply be a reference to phase 4 but also perhaps Fantastic 4? Perhaps the tower will end up being their New York base. 

16 hours ago, drmick said:

I agree, and I do really buy into Vulture’s motives, although this was factored into my earlier opinion already.

On 07/07/2019 at 09:02, Popo said:

It might have been my proximity to the screen but I thought the effects were very bombastic and the set pieces as thrilling as any other Marvel movie, Infinity-Game excepting. The Tower Bridge scene in particular was great fun, all that whipping over and under. 

(Spoilering the rest just in case...)

Hide contents

But the best set pieces were those created by Mysterio and they were really wild and imaginative. 

I didn’t pick up on the face that Mysterio was the bad guy until I saw him with the helmet on but I really loved what they did with him - the idea that he’s putting out deep fake videos on the internet really contextualised his master of illusion status in 2019, and of course Jake Gyllenhaal played him with narcissistic glee, which was a joy. 

The mid-credits scene had me buzzed - JK Simmons! He really is perfect as JJ, it really made me want to go back and watch the very first Spider-Man again. But then that reveal of his secret identity! I can’t wait to see what they do with it. 

Last point about the wisecracks - even Tony McGuire took three movies before he eventually became the confident joker we know and love, Tom Holland is just building up similarly. 

Anyway, loved the movie!

Well, no. He was wisecracking all the way through the airport scene in Civil War and throughout Homecoming! 

Having no knowledge of the comics, the

Mysterio twist took me by surprise. I mean, I figured he was dodgy but I didn't expect the entire premise of the character to be fake. I genuinely thought the multiverse/Elementals things would turn out to be real, but now I guess it won't ever be, unless future reality just happens to coincide precisely with the fiction of a special-effects artist and his team of writers.

I could imagine a few die-hards complaining that they've been short-changed (a la Trevor The Mandarin).

I continue to really like Tom Holland's Spider-Man and Peter Parker. I think him being cocky and wisecracking would make him indistinguishable from all the other MCU heroes, so having him just be a kid who's unsure of himself, and wants to impress his father figures, makes more sense.

I was perfectly happy watching Peter trying to juggle his life around superhero-ing. The Euro trip stuff was fun. Pete and MJ work well together. Ned was a little bit side-lined.

Some very funny moments in this, but some others that seemed forced or missed the mark.

The action was pretty good but stretching credibility in places.

Super strength or not, getting hit by a high speed train like that is a one way trip to Splat City, no?

:huh:

I liked that the

"Blip" was addressed. I was concerned they'd just ignore it but it was fairly important and they handled it in a funny way. I didn't expect to actually see the 'reverse snap' happening, so that was nice. Admittedly, the deeper ramifications are sort of glossed over - the world seems to be ticking along quite normally with half of its population snapping back into existence - but at least it wasn't ignored completely.

Best post-credits scenes in a while, too.

• Upvote 1

Some editing choices threw me for a bit.

When Peter is backing out of the kitchen with his Iron Spider's mask retracted, before rejoining the crowd for interviews, I actually thought he'd gone back outside without his mask on. It wasn't obvious that there was a second door and he couldn't be seen yet. I was like "no, Peter, don't turn around!"

Also, when

Nick Fury is shot at the fake Shield building (whatever it is), it's not clear that it wasn't the illusionary Nick Fury. The one afterwards is but I'd assumed that the real Nick Fury was there at the start, so when we see him later and he has no idea about Mysterio, it took me a minute to work out why.

(Of course, that one isn't the 'real' one either, but you know I mean.)

• Upvote 2

@Sprite Machine, I was also pleasantly surprised:

Spoiler

I knew Mysterio prior, but thought the multiverse and the elementals would be real. I thought the twist would be some other manipulation. That impressed me, as it managed to keep lots of surprises even for Marvel comics fans :)

Spidey skews really powerful in the MCU. Remember him catching Cull's punch in Infinity War? This right after cull's been cleaning Tony's clock. Peter's right at the upper range of strength and durability in this series; much much stronger than Cap/Bucky, only a little way behind Smart Hulk, although considerably less powerful than Thor or full-fat Hulk :)

Spider-Man is always technically on the top end for physical strength whatever version of the Marvel Universe you’re in, he just doesn’t throw it around like a Hulk or others do.

• Upvote 1