Spider-Man: Far from Home (Homecoming sequel)

6 hours ago, Tourist said:

Just bunked off work to watch this. It's as close to perfect as any film I've seen. Up there with in the mood for love. The perfect distillation of 20-odd marvel movies and on a par with Tim Burton's Batman as the best ever superhero movie.

Really? I watched it on Sunday and thought was good but not amazing. I think coming just after Endgame made it feel a little flat. Too much teen angst bullshit too.

The end credits were great.

I could write an essay on why I thought it was amazing. But I'm on my phone so I'll just say yeah I thought it was amazing. I thought there was only one duff moment but in my mind they got away with it.

For context the previous Spiderman movie was my favourite marvel movie, and one of the things I loved about it was the mean girls vibe. Your mileage may vary.

I was tickled that

Spoiler

the MoCap getup was part of the movie.

I wonder how much double checking there was in the CG departments about if particular scenes should have it visible or not.

Good breezy fun with stakes kept in check to allow them this second go with high school Peter. I read nothing about the minor poster "controversy" beyond seeing a headline on reddit

Most of the important takeaways came after the movie ended! I assume Sam Jackson was having fun dancing on the spoiler line by feigning anger over the eye patch being on the wrong side. I wasn't paying enough attention to notice if it flipped in the movie itself, but the poster could easily be excused as a fun nod. I mean, it definitely wasn't. Someone screwed up. But it could have been!

I wonder if we'll find out how often they've pulled that trick. It could have happened in pretty much any of the movies.

Also, I didn't expect the glasses to be the macguffin let alone co-star! They sure said EDITH a lot. They avoided going full-on Arkham Knight with it at least.

Yeah this was good. 

Spoiler

Some of the Tony stuff got me right in the feels. Think it was a bit shit to have the real ending as the mid-credits scene though.

I'm not too sure on Gyllenhaal in this. In a lot of scenes he just looked bored. But there were glimpses of what he does best: unhinged nutjobs. And admittedly his brief impersonation of Stark when he had the glasses on was actually pretty good. Beck getting those glasses though, was a bit contrived. That was a little too convenient. 

Love the Edith acronym.  :lol:

Love the fact that Fury's running the show from outer space. :D

Watched it tonight and really enjoyed it all apart from 

Spoiler

The scene where Mysterio re-caps everything he done to the group. Like they were there and would have known. Horrible exposition that really took me out of it.

Liked the Skrull stuff at the end. 

Very much enjoyed this - I think Homecoming is better, but this had the same charm and humour as the original and was a blast in 4dx with the action scenes. It’s a bit of a mess plot wise occasionally and at times needs a bit too much suspension of disbelief 

Spoiler

Drones, drones and more drones - I know Spidey is awesome but it felt a bit Arnie failing to get shot by 30  gun toting bad guys near the end.

But, overall it’s a worthy sequel with lots of cool bits, loads of great lines and a excellent cast supporting the teenagers who are all great again.

Bonus points for 

Spoiler

The Illusion sequence including zombie Iron Man was awesome.

JB Smoove, Sam Jackson and Jon Favreau.

The end credits scene.

And the mid credits scene with its double whammy of JK Simmons and massive ‘oh shit’ set up for the next one!!!

Some slightly longer thoughts, all in spoilers, just in case:

Spoiler

One of the reasons I love the two Spider-Man movies best out of all the Marvel movies is that although Marvel has done a great job of using vigilantes in silly costumes as a medium to explore larger questions about humanity they are always slightly hamstrung by the fact that the movies are about vigilantes in silly costumes. So, for example, while Civil War threatens to explore themes about interventionist foreign policy and preemptive use of force etc. etc. the baseline is always set by the default stance that superheroes exist to intervene and to punch and biff their way through problems. So movies like Spider-Man (and also Ant-Man) feel like they are on much surer ground by honing in on answering questions and exploring themes related to purely domestic concerns - of what it's like to have a crush on someone, or to keep a secret from your parents, or whatever. 

And Far From Home just picks up that baton from Homecoming and runs with it, while also delivering all of the clever little narrative curlicues and fan service that have become the hallmarks of the connected cinematic universe. It also just absolutely embraces the comic-bookness of the character: from the straightforward plotting before the twist, to the hallucinatory sections, which are some of the most comic book scenes in cinema history as far as I'm concerned. I also love all the neat details, like the way the tingle is dangled at the start as a bit of mumsy banter and then becomes the key to the entire climax - that's why (unlike @Ork1927 ) I didn't have any difficulty suspending my disbelief about the volume of drone attacks etc.

On the topic of the twist, I also really liked how they handled it - how it explains away all of the straightforward plotting and elements that seem slightly off (like the fact that they are sitting in a bar in costume and nobody tries to talk to them). And actually ( @Azrael )I thought the exposition was handled really well. Like, it felt natural in a corporate-style congratulatory speech for the boss to recap everyone's achievements. 

The only major element that felt off for me was the moment he gets the stealth suit, but whatever. Oh, and it does double-down on the humour in a bit more of a slapstick way than the first movie; but again, I think it just about gets away with it, no doubt in large part because of some perfect performances - Peter Parker and MJ are just awesome, as is Flash, and I think Mysterio was played with just the right amount of, uh, mystery, while Jonah Jameson managed to be precisely brilliant.

And the movie even finished with one of my favourite tunes. 

As I say, I loved the Mean Girls vibe of the original, and I'm aware that not everyone will like it as much as I do, but holy shit man, what a great film.

Thought this was pretty good

Spoiler

The plot and motivations lacked any sort of depth if you want to poke at it, but it didn't really need much more and was a good framework to hang the smaller stuff. The fight in the middle really made Mysterio seem a dangerous villan, and more interesting than the standard fare. I like how they handled the fallout from Endgame and it was funny in places too. 

The big fight at the end was probably the weakest bit, as usual. Someone needs to start coming up with something new here, though they did tee up the Spidersense well. I know it's been overdone to the point it puts teeth on edge, but I thought there'd be a bit more 'With great power comes great responsibility' and tying Tony a little more to Uncle Ben as well. 

Mid credit sting was amazing, though and pretty brave. I assume the end credits sets up Captain Marvel 2. Changes the complexion of some scenes too - 'Don't invoke her name' makes a lot more sense. 

Having not read the comics, I knew nothing at all about:

Mysterio, so I was proper Mandarin'd by the reveal. Obviously I was going, 'No Peter, don't give him the glasses, nooooooooo!' throughout the bar scene (and clocked immediately that it was fucking weird how they were talking in their costumes and no one there was going apeshit), but I had no idea that he was just bullshitting! Good stuff, even if the Basil Exposition scene afterwards is a bit much.

I really enjoyed the film, as it's a lot of fun and is frequently hilarious (the teacher and his wife = amazing). The third act action is pretty nifty, too. There's loads to like about it, and it's a great palate-cleanser after Endgame. I maaaaaaybe just prefer Homecoming right now, but it's pretty close and I'd love to see Far From Home again.

One aspect I really liked...

Spoiler

The movie draws parallels between Tony and Peter really well - emphasising just how intelligent Peter Parker really is. The scene with him working on the new suit design is lovely. 

Also, Iron Zombie was amazing! Fucking loved that. :D

10 minutes ago, Tourist said:

Why in the fuck is mansizerooster getting negged for asking why I was getting negged for really liking a film?!?

Spoiler

It's just an illusory neg. Use your Tourist-Tingle to see through it!

Just watched it... first act or so was really good, energetic fun and playful, a good pallet cleanser after the raw emotion of Endgame. Then the thing with the thing happens* and the rest of the film was as average as average can be. Really baggy, really lacking any kind of stakes.

Thank goodness for Tom Holland holding it all together, and keeping things at least watchable when it was at its most bloated. And Jon Favreau; the development of he and Peter’s relationship progresses nicely.

Glad others have had a more enthusiastic reaction, wish I was on your bus. Just came away feeling a little disappointed and like a self-enforced sabbatical from superhero films is needed now (release dates might dictate that anyway, not even sure when the next Marvel film is due)

The bar scene was one of the clumsiest bits of exposition and retconning I can recall in a Marvel film. Disgruntled employee on a twisted quest to become a hero brought back jarring memories of Electro. I like that his crew was essentially shlubs from the office, but paradoxically that made Mystero himself distinctly unthreatening. No wonder no other heroes made a cameo, would have been like a killer whale lending a hand to fight a goldfish

1 hour ago, glb said:

Just watched it... first act or so was really good, energetic fun and playful, a good pallet cleanser after the raw emotion of Endgame. Then the thing with the thing happens* and the rest of the film was as average as average can be. Really baggy, really lacking any kind of stakes.

I was the opposite: I wasn't too keen on the early part of the film; a lot of the jokes missed the mark for me, in the same way as Ant-Man and the Wasp. But the second half made me look more fondly on the film as a whole.

Disliked:

Spoiler

Playing the snap (er, the Blip) for fun instead of horror - the complete opposite of how it was treated in the opening scene of Endgame! 

Mysterio's big "As you know..." speech to his allies. There was one aspect of it I thought was really fun and clever (see the other spoiler tag below), but it was so clunky in spelling out things that everyone there already knew.

Still not so keen on how reliant the MCU's version of Spider-Man is on Tony Stark, for tech, allies (Happy), and villains. Especially after Spider-Verse showed how well a more experienced Peter can work as a mentor figure. (Though I liked the holographic suit design scene.)

Peter saying the word "execute" as part of confirming the command to shut down the drones at the end seemed a risky word to use, given his previous experience with EDITH misinterpreting him! I'm surprised that the word wasn't included in Mysterio's edited audio in the mid-credits scene. 

Liked:

Spoiler

What EDITH stands for. :D

The the whole Mysterio nightmare illusion scene. Nice nod to Dr Strange, with the shot going through the blinking eye on Mysterio's costume!

The final illusion scene, with Peter finally learning to use his Peter-Tingle a bit more actively than just getting goosebumps on his arm.

The recontextualisation of previous MCU clips: I was not expecting to see "In a cave! With a box of scraps!" again!

That shot in London of Spidey with "hammer" (drone bomb on the end of a web) and shield, echoing Cap facing Thanos alone in Endgame.

I hadn't had the mid/post-credits scenes spoiled, but I'd seen non-specific comments emphasising that they were something to watch out for: e.g. Kevin Smith's tweet that it "changes everything", and a few comments saying to try and see the film before it gets spoiled. So based on that, I had several possible guesses at what it could be:

* JK Simmons back as J Jonah Jameson? (Please please please...)

* Miles Morales?

* Vulture in prison?

* Norman Osborn?

* The introduction of a real MCU multiverse?

* Live-action Spider-Verse tie-in (possibly with Tobey Maguire or Andrew Garfield?)

Well I was right about one of those guesses (the one I was really hoping for, hooray!) - but I didn't see the other part coming! :o  The voiceover just before the end, until it was revealed that Peter was actually with May and Happy, seemed for a moment like it might be about to repeat Tony Stark's "I am Iron Man" press conference, with Peter voluntarily revealing his secret identity to the world. When that didn't happen, I put it out of my mind - so the subsequent mid-credits revelation came as a great surprise. Hopefully it's a story that will be told as well as well as the "Out" arc from Daredevil, one of my favourite ever Marvel comics stories.

I think it was right to split it out from the main ending like that - every time Peter has a happy ending, that Parker Luck is just around the corner...

A guess I got wrong:

Spoiler

With all the emphasis on Mysterio's (and his costume designer's) concern about his cape, I was half-expecting it to turn out to be his downfall, Incredibles style. :lol:

My prediction is that after Homecoming and Far From Home, the next MCU Spider-Man film will be called...

Spider-Man: HomeSix 

:eyebrows:

3 minutes ago, Nick R said:

Disliked:

Hide contents

Peter saying the word "execute" as part of confirming the command to shut down the drones at the end seemed a risky word to use, given his previous experience with EDITH misinterpreting him! I'm surprised that the word wasn't included in Mysterio's edited audio in the mid-credits scene. 

That word was used in the edited audio wasn't it?  I thought, like you, it was a weird word to use at the time and then when it appeared in the edited footage it went from weird to simply awkward clumsy foreshadowing. 

3 hours ago, Nick R said:

I was the opposite: I wasn't too keen on the early part of the film; a lot of the jokes missed the mark for me, in the same way as Ant-Man and the Wasp. But the second half made me look more fondly on the film as a whole.

Disliked:

Hide contents

Playing the snap (er, the Blip) for fun instead of horror - the complete opposite of how it was treated in the opening scene of Endgame! 

Mysterio's big "As you know..." speech to his allies. There was one aspect of it I thought was really fun and clever (see the other spoiler tag below), but it was so clunky in spelling out things that everyone there already knew.

Still not so keen on how reliant the MCU's version of Spider-Man is on Tony Stark, for tech, allies (Happy), and villains. Especially after Spider-Verse showed how well a more experienced Peter can work as a mentor figure. (Though I liked the holographic suit design scene.)

Re your first dislike:

Saw that as the naivety of youth, with a bit of resilience; few young people realise their mortality, so calling it ‘the blip’ on the school news channel is a reflexive way of trivialising a pretty traumatic event in order to make sense of it.

Think in Endgame the newscasters called those lost ‘the vanished’, which is rather more sombre and apt.

Thought at 2 hours + this would feel a little bloated, but it breezed by. Loads of fun, a couple of properly touching moments, one wonderfully inventive sequence that's trippier than anything in Doctor Strange, and MJ and Peter really *are* a cute couple. Oh, and easily two of the best Marvel post-credits scenes to date. My son LOVED it; practically bounced out of the cinema, absolutely beaming, which was the icing on the cake. 

Really enjoyed this and found it was a lot more imaginative and clever than Homecoming which was by the numbers. It wasn't without flaws - the US's take on Europe was, perhaps predictably, cliched and the last 20 mins dragged a bit for me but it was so much fun. And because of the clever plotting (won't say too much) it will be a great movie to watch again.

Really enjoyed this, it's the perfect kind of film post Endgame.

Most of my feelings have been said by everyone else here. The thing I loved the most in it

Spoiler

was when Mysterio was using the holographic images on Spider-man, it was straight out of a comic book.

Also, did anyone notice that during that sequence at one point he was stood on a big Captain America shield.

There was also a part in the final battle

Spoiler

where Spidey is holding a shield and a drone and the symbolism looked great, like he was wielding Mjolnir and Caps shield.

Saw this last night and thought it was good fun. Real interesting antagonist that allows for some great visuals as others have said. 

Mid credits scene though:

Spoiler

JK SIMMONS IS BACK

That’s amazing and I’m surprised it hasn’t been talked about more. Why look for anyone else when he is so perfect in the role? Just SO good that they made that happen.