rllmuk
JohnC

Spider-Man: Far from Home (Homecoming sequel)

Saw this tonight and was disappointed. Spiderverse has ruined me forever, as I don’t think any Spider-Man movie will come close to it.

I liked that the fights were nice and easy to follow for the most part and there were some funny bits in it. Mysterio was good as well although he never came across as menacing in the way Keaton did.

• Upvote 4
  • Empathy 1

I didn't enjoy this at all, the elementals and Mysterio himself didn't feel like much of a threat. When Mysterio introduced himself as Quentin, why did nobody think "oh, wasn't that the name of the man who invented this technology??". Surely EDITH would have that info? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Thwomp said:

I didn't enjoy this at all, the elementals and Mysterio himself didn't feel like much of a threat. When Mysterio introduced himself as Quentin, why did nobody think "oh, wasn't that the name of the man who invented this technology??". Surely EDITH would have that info? Maybe I'm thinking too much into it.

Yeah there is some fuzzy logic with regards to Edith.

he relinquishes control of Edith to Quinton and then Immediately Deactivates the drones at the end. Surely he can’t do this as he’s not authorised to use them any more.

53 minutes ago, strider said:

Yeah there is some fuzzy logic with regards to Edith.

Hide contents

he relinquishes control of Edith to Quinton and then Immediately Deactivates the drones at the end. Surely he can’t do this as he’s not authorised to use them any more.

Spoiler

I don't think he deauthorised just allowed Q access

• Upvote 1

2 hours ago, Gord said:

Hide contents

I don't think he deauthorised just allowed Q access

Hmm that's not what I recall. I'll never watch it again, so I'll never know :)

On 06/07/2019 at 20:08, Nick R said:

Just back from seeing this and Gail says much that I agree with:

Spoiler

This Spiderman is not the character that I know and have grown up with. My Spiderman is confident in his abilities and uses his intellect and skills to overcome enemies. This Spiderman is extremely needy and always needs approval from others, not only his peers but everyone. Although he finally uses his Spidersense at the end, over the two movies he has been very dependent on technology and is nothing more than Starks lapdog. 

Overall this film was mediocre for me. A few nice set pieces does not make a good film and although the last half hour was pretty decent I felt it was bloated and TOO MUCH TONY FUCKING STARK. He is dead. Move on. A spiderman film should not need "propping up" from all this avengers shite. Also Ned really needs to fuck off. Not funny and very annoying. 

I really can't see why Spiderman would align himself with Tony Stark. In both these films the main villains are people who Stark have wronged. He is exactly the type of person who the moralistic Spiderman should be against. 

To finish on a positive note MJ is decent and I also loved seeing J. K. Simmons back in a role that I can't imagine anyone else in. 

• Upvote 9

22 hours ago, Skull Commander said:

Hide contents

This Spiderman is not the character that I know and have grown up with. My Spiderman is confident in his abilities and uses his intellect and skills to overcome enemies. This Spiderman is extremely needy and always needs approval from others, not only his peers but everyone. Although he finally uses his Spidersense at the end, over the two movies he has been very dependent on technology and is nothing more than Starks lapdog. 

Overall this film was mediocre for me. A few nice set pieces does not make a good film and although the last half hour was pretty decent I felt it was bloated and TOO MUCH TONY FUCKING STARK. He is dead. Move on. A spiderman film should not need "propping up" from all this avengers shite. Also Ned really needs to fuck off. Not funny and very annoying. 

I really can't see why Spiderman would align himself with Tony Stark. In both these films the main villains are people who Stark have wronged. He is exactly the type of person who the moralistic Spiderman should be against. 

To finish on a positive note MJ is decent and I also loved seeing J. K. Simmons back in a role that I can't imagine anyone else in. 

I couldn't have said it any better myself. 

I found this a massive disappointment for all the reasons you have stated. 

• Upvote 2

On 08/08/2019 at 20:51, Skull Commander said:

Hide contents

The article mentions two movies, but it's not is it ? It's been five movies now and this Spiderman is only starting to become confident in himself. Spiderverse managed this arc with Miles in an hour ?

15 hours ago, Ste_S said:

Hide contents

The article mentions two movies, but it's not is it ? It's been five movies now and this Spiderman is only starting to become confident in himself. Spiderverse managed this arc with Miles in an hour ?

I dont think you can count 3 of the films towards his development. Outside his own, the other movies dont really have the time to develop that do they. Hes had what? About 30-35mins screen time over CW, IW and Endgame. Two of which were mainly reserved for fighting.

I've really enjoyed both MCU Spider-man outings and just dont see why people are still complaining about the Avengers links and Tony Stark. We're 23 films in now folks, this is the forumla these film follow. Were you expecting this not to talk about the events of Endgame? It would be even weirder if they didnt mention it at. Maybe it's not "your" Spider-man from 20+ years ago, buts that's fine because it's the MCUs version, (the comics introduce new versions of the character all the time) and in this world his father figure just died after a near universe ending threat, why would they not talk about that?

I also think it makes much more sense that his suits and webbing come from an Iron Man style suit. Why wouldnt he use them in this version of his character when they're available to him? It's more odd that a poor teenage boy managed to afford the suits and webs tech/material.

• Upvote 3
  • Downvote 1

1 minute ago, Stigweard said:

I've really enjoyed both MCU Spider-man outings and just dont see why people are still complaining about the Avengers links and Tony Stark.

Were people complaining about that?

saw this earlier today. I thought it was brilliant, with pretty much all the cast being much better than in Homecoming (particularly Zendaya who was utterly captivating as MJ). It's also the first film where I've liked Holland in the role (I can't stand him in Civil War). 

Ned is far far less annoying in this one, so that was a major relief as I wanted to punch his lights out in Homecoming.  

The only problem was the hang up the film had with bloody Tony Stark. When I did my rewatch of all the films before Endgame I found him to be a deeply annoying character (just don't tell my wife this, he's her favourite!). Talking about Mrs Sandman, she always leaves as soon as the credits start ("those stupid end credits bits are for geeks" according to her).  Can someone tell me what happens in the end credit scenes please!

as for JG, I thought he was good, but a bit like Keaton in the first film, he was only in third gear and never really let rip.

16 minutes ago, sandman said:

saw this earlier today. I thought it was brilliant, with pretty much all the cast being much better than in Homecoming (particularly Zendaya who was utterly captivating as MJ). It's also the first film where I've liked Holland in the role (I can't stand him in Civil War). 

Ned is far far less annoying in this one, so that was a major relief as I wanted to punch his lights out in Homecoming.  

The only problem was the hang up the film had with bloody Tony Stark. When I did my rewatch of all the films before Endgame I found him to be a deeply annoying character (just don't tell my wife this, he's her favourite!). Talking about Mrs Sandman, she always leaves as soon as the credits start ("those stupid end credits bits are for geeks" according to her).  Can someone tell me what happens in the end credit scenes please!

as for JG, I thought he was good, but a bit like Keaton in the first film, he was only in third gear and never really let rip.

Is your wife aware that the mid credits scenes are just a few seconds away?

18 minutes ago, sandman said:

Can someone tell me what happens in the end credit scenes please!

Spoiler

JJ Jamerson appears on a big NY screen and implicates Spiderman in the London attack. Mysterio's last trick! Except it's not!  He turn to the camera and says Spiderman is Peter Parker. Peter, "What the f..?" Ends.

JJ is played by JK Simmons again, without the hairpiece.

End credits are Fury and Maria Hill in a car. It was Talos the Skrull and his good lady wife all along!  Fury's on the phone from a beach. Except it's not! It's a room in a space station/ship full of Skrulls. Ends. 

• Upvote 1

On 17/08/2019 at 20:33, sandman said:

If my wife did that I'd just let her leave whilst I stayed, more fool her (your wife). Lucky Mrs.Stig loves these films too so waits for the mid credits. You missed out this time, they're both two major scenes with future implications.

As I've said before on the Tony Stark criticism, I don't find it warranted. He's Peters father figure, a male figure he's latched onto as he doesn't have one in his life. To just ignore all that and the pain he feels over his loss would be ridiculous.

I also liked how 

Spoiler

all the bad guys were people who'd been wrong by Tony. He may be a Universe saving hero but he's also a business man with serious flaws.  He's wronged a lot of people who helped him get where he got to. He gave zero fucks about the little man and shows big flaws in his character.

Plus I thought it was cool how they linked it back to other films, even going as far back as Iron Man 1 and using the same actor.

Just saw this in the cinema, which was packed. Funny that eh this long after release. Anyway thought it was some light hearted fun so that’s nice isn’t it. 

One thing, I was waiting for angry inconsiderate Fury to be revealed as an illusion, but that didn’t happen. Was he always such a gullible shit?

11 minutes ago, therearerules said:

The bit with JJJ?

A later bit where 

Spoiler

It is revealed that both Fury and Hill are actually that nice Skrull couple from Captain Marvel and the real Fury is in space on a Skrull ship to do something as yet unspecified. So he was an illusion of sorts  

Thought this was just okay. I think, after Endgame, I feel like I'm done, it feels like the story is done. Rather than feeling like the next exciting chapter in the MCU saga, this seemed like an epilogue, the last dying breath of the MCU. I'm at my absolute limit now watching another boring action scene full of swooping cameras and weightless CGI. I mean, the bubble's got to burst right, at some point? Like it did for buddy cop movies and erotic thrillers?

• Upvote 5
  • Empathy 1

17 hours ago, JohnC said:

A later bit where 

Hide contents

It is revealed that both Fury and Hill are actually that nice Skrull couple from Captain Marvel and the real Fury is in space on a Skrull ship to do something as yet unspecified. So he was an illusion of sorts  

No, we left after the JJJ scene. Not sure putting key characterisations like that after the credits is the best editing decision they've made tbh.

• Upvote 4