rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
ryodi

Life Is Strange 2 | Episode 1 of 5 released 27th September 2018

I don't like this one bit. I'm going to pass on this if I can't buy it individually, pick it up cheaper down the line (several years down the line at this rate).

• Upvote 1

7 minutes ago, Illyria said:

Even on Steam the individual episode isn't for sale.

20190125_114331.thumb.jpg.6d9418d54aca8ea87a426492d16a1f68.jpg

That's odd. I checked before I went to bed last night and I'm sure it was, but just checked again and nope...

life is Strange huh...

On 23/01/2019 at 23:44, rafaqat said:

I guess it's slightly different because it's being released episodically but that's still not that different to you buying a game that'd take you ages to complete and MS sticking it on GamePass.  that's going to happen more and more right?  Just wondering where the annoyance was coming from.

Turns out this doesn't matter so much (I'm happy to buy access to play it 90 days early), but to answer your question: It's entirely because it's being released episodically. If I bought a full game at launch and took my time to complete it, I can't complain when the game drops in price (or joins Game Pass) as it was my choice to play it at that pace. This wouldn't have been. It's also rare for a game that's just a few months old to suddenly join PS Plus, Game Pass etc. I remember Shadow of the Tomb Raider getting a lot of flack because it had a 50% price drop just a few weeks after it launched.

Weird that they haven't made episode 2 available individually. It really does seem like they're making all the wrong decisions at the moment, which is a bit of a shame. I honestly think they really picked a bad time to release the second episode. We've had a good 6 weeks without any major new games coming out, but instead they choose the exact same time as two hugely anticipated games with large fanbases to drop episode 2.

• Upvote 1

Christ, episode 2 is dull. I read a review where it called the whole episode glacial and I have to agree with that description. Nothing really happens apart from

the nasty killing of Mushroom. I could see it was going to happen but it still seemed mean and cold-hearted after the boys have lost their father in the previous episode.

The whole cross-over from the captain Spirit episode should have been great but it was just badly handled in the narrative. Daniel

saving Chris was just a throwaway scene and handled really flatly.

. The whole episode seemed muted and plain boring. I really hope they ramp it up in the next episode.

Me too, but only because they aren't making episodes available for individual purchase. And the geological eras between episodes doesn't help either, They (or more likely the publishers) have really dropped the ball on this game.

19 hours ago, Fierce Poodle said:

The release schedule for this is fucking insane. I’m waiting till it’s finished.

Not wrong there

Release dates for episode 3-5 were announced: Episode 3 on the 9th of May 2019, Episode 4 on the 22nd of August 2019, and Episode 5 on the 3rd of December 2019

On 05/04/2019 at 17:47, Speech said:

Not sure how it is on Xbox/PS, but individual episodes are now available to buy on Steam.

Yes, it is! (On PS4 at least). Thanks for the heads up.

After the relatively domestic Episode 2 this is back on the usual slightly ambiguous social tension and high drama again, really enjoyed this one.

I've only just gotten round to downloading it. They really fucked it with the release schedule of this one. Doesn't help that I found the characters in episode 2 to be so annoying I intentionally tried to make all the worst possible decisions. A real step down from the fantastic season 1. :(

Is there a reason no one is really talking about this season? I must say it hasn’t grabbed me like the original or BTS did and I’m still unsure what I think of it having done episode three.

Whilst the brothers are likeable I just don’t care about them all that much. The constant new locations for me harm what I loved about the original and it’s small town feeling and being a part of something.

It doesn’t help that so far this is playing out almost exactly like that film with the same powers. I do also wonder if trying to get away from the main character having powers they can use means the gameplay is that little bit more less interesting as it becomes more like a Tell Tale game than being it’s own unique thing with an interesting gameplay mechanic that gets you to think a bit.

I’d agree with most of that, although I think it’s pretty faithful to the needs of the story it’s trying to tell. Constantly introducing new characters as required by the road trip structure doesn’t lend itself to quite the same devotion and commitment as the first game.

I've been playing it as it comes out on Game Pass, which limits how much I can talk about without fear of spoilers. I'm really enjoying it though.

• Upvote 1

I'm playing it, and liking it a lot. There have been some great moments in it. The vast length of time between episodes isn't helping, I guess. I think a lot of people are waiting for it to be done, and others are playing it on Gamepass, so we are all too out of sync to talk about it.

• Upvote 1

I didn't even know the new episode was out til I got a Square Enix email. Little fanfare at all. 

I'm going to guess sales wise this has been doing dreadfully. Can't see there being a season 3. 

Episode 4 is now on game pass and seemed the shortest of the lot. I’m not going to talk about the story as this thread should liven up next month when the disc version comes out. But I’m not sure where episode 5 can go. So far season 2 is fine, not great, just fine. The characters are mostly likeable but they’re missing something that made Chloe and Max more interesting. I guess the story itself isn’t too interesting either. It never seems to go anywhere or have hilights that make an episode stand out. Everyone talks about Kate in season 1 and a few other key moments but I can’t think of anything like that in season 2 so far.

The time mechanic is sorely missed and I think not having a gimmick was a huge misstep. Season 1 stood out because the time mechanic changed how you played the game and how you did things. It featured heavily in puzzles and made the game different to TellTale games. Without it this just feels like your average Telltale game of you just going through the story.

I hope if there is a season 3 that they come up with a unique mechanic (doesn’t have to be time) to give the player a bit more control over their actions. Roll on episode 5 and let’s see how this ends.

I feel like episode 4 finally gave it a bit of direction, conflict and purpose which it missed. It’s a fine adventure game on its own and I like how you have to be a good role model without being overbearing, but it doesn’t really live up to the mechanical-narrative combo of the first game.

• Upvote 2

If they go with a S3 i really hope they either release it a month apart or just as a complete game. Been waiting for all episodes to come out before playing it, although further tempted to wait till it reduced in price some more.

Just started this, with the last chapter out. Great stuff. Cant say Ive missed the gimmick from season 1. If anything, maybe the sense of mystery of what was going on with the lighthouse and the storm and all that. This has been more slow burning in that sense. But still great, Im really enjoying it.

I didnt sacrifice Arcadia Bay in the first game, and got this scene while driving with Brody - I guess if you did sacrifice the city this is all wasteland?

Spoiler

12-3-2019_4-25-07_AM-c2dxgbt4.thumb.png.e32258a8be99fbe0e3ea0cf3671af03d.png

• Upvote 1

I'm also really looking forward to it, I've always staked out the weekend immediately after each episode launches to play through it in 1 or 2 sittings. Somehow the fact that the game's not this big huge thing makes it all the more special. :) 

Grabbed the complete season on steam for £16. Was tempted to get the physical on PS4 but i've got the other LIS games on steam.

Looking forward to playing it though. Just need to find the time.

I played the first episode on Steam, then the first 3 on during a free trial of gamepass, and have asked my Wife to get me the physical PS4 version for Xmas so hopefully I'll finally get to finish it soon!

Cracking game from what I have played though. A little grittier than the first but dare I say better for it.