rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Retroguy

Dr Sleep - Shining Sequel with Ewan McGregor, Jan 2020

Apparently after trying to secure funding for a while, this is now being rushed into pre-production at Warner Bros due to the success of It. Director is Mike Flanagan, responsible for Gerald’s Game on Netflix. Haven’t seen it myself yet but apparently the recent novella adaptation was very well received by Stephen King.

Ewan McGregor has just been announced as grown up Danny Torrance. I was a bit doubtful when the book came out, but actually found it a good story and worthy sequel, so fingers crossed the movie turns out well.

Release date is Jan 2020.

A prequel to The Shining is also in the works, called Overlook Hotel.

Good on Stephen King for allowing the movie version to share a cinematic universe with the Kubrick Shining, which King famously hates. To be fair, he hardly has a choice if he wants to make movie money at all - -it just wouldn't get made if it couldn't connect to the Kubrick film.

• Upvote 1

Mike Flanagan aka guy who did Absentia, Occulus, and the wonderful House of Haunting Hill. No offence but Gerald's game was weak compared to his other stuff. Guy is crazy good at understanding horror

7 hours ago, yakumo said:

Mike Flanagan aka guy who did... House of Haunting Hill.

I’m in! Seriously, that show is scarily good (see what I did there?).

The trailer is good. Sceptical about Ewan McGregor, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Popo said:

I’m in! Seriously, that show is scarily good (see what I did there?).

The trailer is good. Sceptical about Ewan McGregor, but I’ll give him the benefit of the doubt. 

I thought the book was good, but I wouldn't consider it horror as The Shining was. I don't think the people that didn't read the book realise this. It's not a

haunted house movie, it's a haunted person story

• Upvote 3

17 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Good on Stephen King for allowing the movie version to share a cinematic universe with the Kubrick Shining, which King famously hates. To be fair, he hardly has a choice if he wants to make movie money at all - -it just wouldn't get made if it couldn't connect to the Kubrick film.

King famously asks for very little up front.

https://deadline.com/2016/02/stephen-king-what-hollywood-owes-authors-when-their-books-become-films-q-a-the-dark-tower-the-shining-1201694691/

Instead, he'll share profits if the film's/TV productions succeed.

That's why so much of his stuff has been adapted to the screen.

20 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

Although it does smack a bit of "You know how I hated the original Stanley Kubrick film and publicly denounced it at the time, because it was so different to the source material and you know how it would have been extremely unlikely for Kubrick to do a sequel to his version of The Shining? Well, I've written a sequel to that film that's being turned into a movie which Stanley Kubrick would have despised. Last laugh. Me."

He wrote the sequel to the original book, not the film. Still, I read it picturing characters and events from the movie tbh. Was weird having Dick Hallorann in the book, wonder how they'll handle that in the movie... 

22 hours ago, SqueakyG said:

I love King to death, but his opinion on Kubrick's Shining means crap.

Dude was praising The Dark Tower before it came out like it was the second coming of Christ.

There was a good review of a book in the Guardian recently which (paraphrasing) said something like "It comes with a recommendation from Stephen King but these are so easy to come by these days you could probably get him to put in a good word for you on your parole form" which tickled me.

On the latest Half In The Bag, during an aside Mike and Jay ponder what The Shining would have been like if it had gone through modern focus group testing... based on that trailer I guess we’re about to find out :(

Before IT, they had one of those video begging letters before the Doctor Sleep trailer. You know, where the director and some other poor bastard (this time, King himself) come on, absolutely pleading for you to go watch it.

Genuinely cringe into a singularity every time there's one of these, always shilling complete garbage. So yeah, my hopes aren't high.