Football Thread 2018/19

It's amazing that he could find a story criticising a young black City player for buying his mum a house - and it wasn't even the one about him!

Amazingly depressing, of course. These tabloid writers know that tapping into people's prejudices sells papers - some people clearly enjoy being angry at people who don't look like them having the temerity to have nice things. I'm sure they don't think of themselves as "racists" in the same way as, say, someone who would actually abuse or assault someone because of the colour of their skin. But in many ways this structural / institutional racism is harder to avoid and has much more of a corrosive effect on our society.

29 minutes ago, feltmonkey said:

I cringe whenever a black player who is physically strong is called a "beast" when a white player with a similar physique would be called a "unit." 

Is this actually a thing? :unsure: A player is a beast whether he is black, white or green, I've never known this to be a race thing.

I read it somewhere, or someone pointed it out to me a few years ago. I hadn't noticed it before (to be honest I couldn't even say I hadn't done it myself) but once you're looking for it, yeah it does happen. I would bet that black players and fans notice it more than white guys like myself. 

Sure, if you call all physical players beasts that's not really a problem. I'm not trying to shame anyone. It's just one of those little things that it's worth looking out for. 

A draw would have been fairer but it's so much sweeter to win when it turns Rafa into a frothing, bitter mess. I can't abide the man.

Good to see Diogo Jota playing so much better. 2 goals in a week will have done him the world of good, but we need to stop playing Traore up top because he's got worse control than Protocol Penguin on the Brexit thread.

21 minutes ago, Pupponvesh 2 said:

Why did the referee just give an indirect free-kick in the penalty area to the attacking team? I didn't see any pass-back.

Doesn’t have to be. Can be dangerous play without being a foul and that’s also indirect. Odd decision, anyway. 

Thank you to Wolves for their last minute winner as it keeps us top of the bottom third of the league.

Doubt we will get higher than 14th this season and we've got a tough run of games again now and need to find a way to get points on the road - but home games are great at the moment and while we may well get battered, can't wait for Mourinho's visit in a fortnight.

It is an excellent piece but a bit out of sorts to refer to Ian Wright as a "jovial type" when he regularly calls out racism and has very recently done a two hour documentary about black footballers and racism. Alex Scott is in a position where she can't really, as the only visible ex professional female if she wants to continue to have a career she can't challenge racism, but yes Jenas is a complete wet blanket who thinks an opinion is something you fry and have on a hotdog

Wright has built a persona in the same way that Robbie Savage has (and Collymore hasn’t). Him doing serious stuff is a bit like when The One Show does a “real” piece - there to fulfill a few minutes rather than any real drive to do something.

I have a lot of time for Stan Collymore's punditry (and obviously his playing career too, being an aged Liverpool fan). I didn't realise he had dropped off UK media altogether; that's a shame. Match commentary, MOTD, etc. are substantially more interesting with intelligent and opinionated contributions from people like him and Gary Neville, and suffer greatly from insightless bores like Shearer, 'Wrighty' and Robbie 'fucking' Savage. Somehow I suspect Neville wouldn't have got quite the same opportunity if he looked more like Collymore.

1 hour ago, wev said:

It is an excellent piece but a bit out of sorts to refer to Ian Wright as a "jovial type" when he regularly calls out racism and has very recently done a two hour documentary about black footballers and racism. Alex Scott is in a position where she can't really, as the only visible ex professional female if she wants to continue to have a career she can't challenge racism, but yes Jenas is a complete wet blanket who thinks an opinion is something you fry and have on a hotdog

I still shudder at that Jenas performance on Question Time. 

1 hour ago, hmm said:

I have a lot of time for Stan Collymore's punditry (and obviously his playing career too, being an aged Liverpool fan). I didn't realise he had dropped off UK media altogether; that's a shame. Match commentary, MOTD, etc. are substantially more interesting with intelligent and opinionated contributions from people like him and Gary Neville, and suffer greatly from insightless bores like Shearer, 'Wrighty' and Robbie 'fucking' Savage. Somehow I suspect Neville wouldn't have got quite the same opportunity if he looked more like Collymore.

I don't think Collymore will ever reach A-list pundit status because of the whole domestic violence stuff. It's a lot easier to fly under the radar on radio and online.

Three Premier League games will be live on Sky One on Boxing Day (use a cheap Now TV Entertainment Pass?)

Fulham v Wolves 12.00pm (Kick off at 12.30pm)
Brighton v Arsenal 5.00pm (Kick off at 5.15pm)
Watford v Chelsea 7.15pm (Kick off at 7.30pm)