rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

https://www.theguardian.com/football/live/2018/nov/24/river-plate-v-boca-juniors-copa-libertadores-final-second-leg-live?CMP=Share_iOSApp_Other

Nicely illustrates the utter shitshow that occurred tonight; the violence before the game was supposed to start, the confusion after, and the ineptitude throughout.

i will admit to not knowing that the game was on, let alone how beautifully set up it was - a final between unquestionably the two biggest teams (and rivals) in Argentina, tied at 2-2 after the first leg (with no away goals rule) - but I’m really interested now. Will be an odd game to watch in the circumstances though, especially if it is played behind closed doors.

Huddersfield by far the better team today. Wolves are awful. 

They are our bogey team for some reason, but they’re defending so well. 

Nuno’s Wolves always struggle to break down deep defences. 

29 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Nuno’s Wolves always struggle to break down deep defences. 

All teams struggle to break down deep defences if they’re well organised.

14 minutes ago, dizogg said:

All teams struggle to break down deep defences if they’re well organised.

True enough. Our lack of forward runners from centre midfield makes it slightly tougher for us, which is why Morgan Gibbs-White has been brought on. 

On 24/11/2018 at 08:54, Plissken said:

Our newer one (right) seems to be popular with fans of many clubs, but I still prefer the old one.

burnley_badge_redesign_trans_NvBQzQNjv4B

The "new" badge was being used as long ago as the 1940s (with the Latin motto Pretiumque Et Causa Laboris in place of the club name). 

58 minutes ago, dr_manhattan^ said:

Cracking performance from Huddersfield here, they’ve been outstanding. 

It finally came together for us today, we've been playing pretty well since the first few weeks of the season but shit finishing and no luck has generally been our downfall. We actually put a couple away today (I'd forgotten what scoring two felt like) and got the crucial bit of luck that Philip Billing happened to be the guy clearing off the line with his ten foot long legs. Anyone else and that was the equaliser.

I thought our hoodoo over you had probably ended when you put four past us a couple of years ago but I certainly won't complain about it gearing back up again.

• Upvote 1

13 minutes ago, Rsdio said:

It finally came together for us today, we've been playing pretty well since the first few weeks of the season but shit finishing and no luck has generally been our downfall. We actually put a couple away today (I'd forgotten what scoring two felt like) and got the crucial bit of luck that Philip Billing happened to be the guy clearing off the line with his ten foot long legs. Anyone else and that was the equaliser.

I thought our hoodoo over you had probably ended when you put four past us a couple of years ago but I certainly won't complain about it gearing back up again.

That was one win, 4-1 I believe.  Everything else has been a grave yard for us.

I'm close to offering to sacrifice Leo Bonatini in front of a statue of Andy Booth.  Anything to remove the curse.

One point from five games for us now.  I am getting slightly worried.

It games like this that make you realise Neves is only 21 however.  Hopefully the Juve scouts were watching tonight.  He was awful.

Apparently while CONMEBOL were insisting Boca play, several of their players had already been treated for tear gas inhalation with corticosteroids on the banned substance list.

By CONMEBOL doctors. 

CONMEBOL make the SFA look like an exemplar of professionalism, organisation and fairness. 

On 22/11/2018 at 01:26, Tourist said:

There was some news piece on telly last night while I was at the gym about a Japanese player called Ritsu Doan. Anyone seen him play? If not you should check out some highlight reels - he seems to have a trademark move which is to score a goal out of nowhere right in the top corner of the goal. It seems to be his thing. Looks amazing (though I dunno what the quality is like in whatever Dutch division he is currently playing in).

Been tracking him for two years, he's the first player since Robben to break 8 goals as a rookie, or something. 

Outstanding talent. Very strong with great vision and skills. Is part of the new attacking holy trinity of Japan with Shoya Nakajima and Takumi Minamino. Scored 4 past a full strength Uruguay (bar Suarez) back in September. 

• Upvote 1

9 minutes ago, nakamura said:

Been tracking him for two years, he's the first player since Robben to break 8 goals as a rookie, or something. 

Outstanding talent. Very strong with great vision and skills. Is part of the new attacking holy trinity of Japan with Shoya Nakajima and Takumi Minamino. Scored 4 past a full strength Uruguay (bar Suarez) back in September. 

Sounds like one for Football Index

I've just noticed this thread hasn't got the video of Alan Hutton, an unremarkable full back who is a week shy of his 34th birthday picking up the ball 60 yards from goal then running past half the Small Heath team before bending it into the far corner. 

Not a bad way to settle a second city derby. He'll never have to buy a pint of beer in Birmingham again after that. 

• Upvote 6

There is always something quite wonderful about watching a clogger/journeyman having the only 20 second spell in his career where he channels the combined spirits of Zico, Pele and Fat Ronaldo and does something like that.

• Upvote 3

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

There is always something quite wonderful about watching a clogger/journeyman having the only 20 second spell in his career where he channels the combined spirits of Zico, Pele and Fat Ronaldo and does something like that.

Hopefully it will be Lukakus turn soon. 

3 hours ago, Plissken said:

I know what you mean, but I have to point out Hutton did the same thing against Hull earlier in the season.