Football Thread 2018/19

4 hours ago, SeanR said:

until (your country) gets knocked out...

Eh?  Every country plays four games, apart from only four teams who play another one or two.  It's not as if you can lose the first game and that's it.  

Switzerland - Belgium ended 5-2.  Amazing.  Due to the away goals rule, a 3-2 win wasn't good enough for them, but this result does see them through.  That means Portugal, England, and Switzerland are in the finals, to be joined by either France or The Netherlands.  The Netherlands only need a draw away to Germany to qualify, so hopefully they'll do that so we can avoid being thrashed by France, and can instead look forward to being more narrowly beaten by one of the other three.

This leaves BT Sport with just the Champions League, Europa League, Bundesliga and Ligue 1 for live football coverage when they had all of them plus the SPL, Serie A and Ligue Nos a few years ago. Isn’t the fragmentation of football coverage great.

Another Ireland game passes with nothing of note going forward. Should have been a Danish win but for the post, which is therefore man of the match. Same old defensive performance with the odd hopeful ball forward for someone to try and chase. There'll be another ten games just like it next year.

All the excitement was in Germany anyway, where the Netherlands came from 2-0 down to clinch the draw that gives them the last semi-final place. 

I don't understand Martin O'Neills logic in throwing Michale Obafemi on for 10 minutes at the end of this match. Give him a 45 minutes and a proper run in his debut. 

Denmark/Ireland 0-0. 4 games in a row when Ireland have failed to score and never looked like scoring. Tough times. 

The Netherlands made a dramatic late comeback against Germany to secure the draw they needed to win their group, which means that the four teams in next year's finals are Portugal, Switzerland, The Netherlands, and England. Four pretty evenly matched teams, and none of the traditional powerhouses. Should be fun. 

I’m not sure how the nations league works but do Scotland have the same chance to qualify for Euro 2020 as England now? Both teams are in the semi and could win their finals to qualify? Thus no need for the traditional qualifying groups? 

Not quite. Traditional qualifying groups are played first, followed by playoffs between the best teams in each Nations League division who didn't make it. So both England and Scotland can have a second crack at qualification in March 2020 if they need to, but they don't get to play that first.

England are in the semis of the Nations League as a whole, but that's only for the four winners of the top division, there's no equivalent for lower divisions, and it has no impact on Euro 2020.

One consequence of Germany's dismal performance that could potentially affect the chances of Scotland and the two Irelands is that they've fallen into pot 2 of the seedings. You'd have to imagine then that being drawn in the same group as Germany is as close as you could get to an immediate exit, though I'm sure Scotland won't mind too much with the playoff in the bag.

At least one of Belarus, Kosovo, Macedonia and Georgia will qualify for their first ever major finals thanks to winning their League D groups. And it'll be some comfort to Ireland to note that San Marino were the only team that managed to score fewer goals. Which means they scored none. Classic San Marino.

There remain scenarios where Ireland and Northern Ireland could qualify for playoffs based on the number of teams in League A and B qualifying automatically, but those won't really become apparent until late on. The obvious one is if at least 16 teams from top two divisions qualify for the finals (15 would do it for the Republic, NI need 16), and so the other 8 would form the playoffs from League A and League B.

44 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

At least one of Belarus, Kosovo, Macedonia and Georgia will qualify for their first ever major finals thanks to winning their League D groups. 

how does this work ? I thought the group winners were guaranteed a play off spot if they don't qualify automatically thru their qualifying groups, but all of those could go out in the play offs couldn't they ?

or have I missed that the play-offs are 'fixed' from the 2nd to 4th pots and the winners play each other somehow ?

are there 2 sets of playoffs, one based on qualifying groups and one based on the Nations League ?

it's so confusing !

12 minutes ago, Gotters said:

how does this work ? I thought the group winners were guaranteed a play off spot if they don't qualify automatically thru their qualifying groups, but all of those could go out in the play offs couldn't they ?

or have I missed that the play-offs are 'fixed' from the 2nd to 4th pots and the winners play each other somehow ?

are there 2 sets of playoffs, one based on qualifying groups and one based on the Nations League ?

it's so confusing !

can someone confirm that 4th in C2, C3, and C4 PLUS Cyprus (3rd C3) are getting relegated?

Cyprus had 4 points, more than Albania (who were 3rd in C1),  but because Albania are in C1 and because C1 only has 3 teams...

4 minutes ago, JohnC said:

O’Neill and Keane resigned from the Irish team. 

Not a surprise really and probably for the best. Not many options out there to replace them - can't see the clowns at the FAI going for Stephen Kenny and I doubt Chris Hughton would want anything to go with the international team. 

1 hour ago, Gotters said:

There are four sets of playoffs, one for each Nations League division, although it's a little more convoluted in the case where a division doesn't have four teams that don't qualify (as is likely in the top division). In that case, teams will be drawn from the other leagues. So those four will play each other for a place in the Euros. If one of them has already made it, the next best team in League D takes their place.

59 minutes ago, SeanR said:

can someone confirm that 4th in C2, C3, and C4 PLUS Cyprus (3rd C3) are getting relegated?

Cyprus had 4 points, more than Albania (who were 3rd in C1),  but because Albania are in C1 and because C1 only has 3 teams...

Yes, that's correct. Because Albania were in a 3-team group, games against the 4th placed team in the other groups are discounted when deciding the worst third-place side. Cyprus finished with a worse record against the top two sides in their group than Montenegro.

1 hour ago, Silent Runner said:

Not a surprise really and probably for the best. Not many options out there to replace them - can't see the clowns at the FAI going for Stephen Kenny and I doubt Chris Hughton would want anything to go with the international team. 

First - happy days that they've gone. It's a weak squad, no doubt, but the approach wasn't going anywhere and progress very much seemed to be backwards. The performance in the Nations League was utterly dire, as was the friendly against Northern Ireland, who show that a lack of top level talent isn't a barrier to playing football.

Now, I think that unless there was a performance clause in their contracts, Stephen Kenny remains a shout. It won't have been cheap to get rid of O'Neill and Keane, so they could offset the cost of cutting them loose by hiring a substantially cheaper manager. The likes of Hughton or even McCarthy would still command a higher wage than Kenny would get. And there's plenty of popular support for Kenny and the FAI might decide that with the lack of real talent in the squad, there's not much to lose in giving Kenny a contract for a couple of years. I'm sure they've also looked north and saw the great job Michael O'Neill is doing.

Then again, it is the FAI, so it'll be Sam Allardyce. Plus it'd be better to have someone like Kenny in charge when the association's approach is also geared towards developing the game in the country rather than lining their pockets.

There was some news piece on telly last night while I was at the gym about a Japanese player called Ritsu Doan. Anyone seen him play? If not you should check out some highlight reels - he seems to have a trademark move which is to score a goal out of nowhere right in the top corner of the goal. It seems to be his thing. Looks amazing (though I dunno what the quality is like in whatever Dutch division he is currently playing in).

Reports are it's going to be Mick McCarthy back in charge of Ireland.

Update: RTE were reporting that, but now are saying both McCarthy and Stephen Kenny will be having talks with the FAI in the coming days. Roddy Collins has rubbished the idea of Kenny taking over, saying that the League of Ireland is a tin pot league that anyone could win with the finances Dundalk or Cork have, but that's doing a disservice in my eyes to Dundalk's achievements in Europe, not to mention Michael O'Neill's success with Northern Ireland.

I'm not sold on McCarthy. I haven't given his work at Ipswich much attention, but I get the feeling returning to Mick is sticking with a physical game, about using McClean's willingness to run up and down the flanks rather than cultivating a possession based team. His time in charge of the Ireland squad was one of great highs, with an excellent squad of players capable of beating anyone on their day, and it's the Ireland I remember from my youth until my early twenties, it's the Ireland I really grew into watching, but that Ireland side is long gone and the game has moved on. I don't think it would work. Kenny offers more potential for change.

There's always the uneasy feeling though that this is papering over the cracks, and that there's a pressing need for structural reform and the lowest ebb is a great time to do that. Clear out the FAI, bring in people with a keen interest in developing the local game, try and benefit more than just the national side. 

2 hours ago, Fry Crayola said:

Reports are it's going to be Mick McCarthy back in charge of Ireland.

Update: RTE were reporting that, but now are saying both McCarthy and Stephen Kenny will be having talks with the FAI in the coming days. Roddy Collins has rubbished the idea of Kenny taking over, saying that the League of Ireland is a tin pot league that anyone could win with the finances Dundalk or Cork have, but that's doing a disservice in my eyes to Dundalk's achievements in Europe, not to mention Michael O'Neill's success with Northern Ireland.

I'm not sold on McCarthy. I haven't given his work at Ipswich much attention, but I get the feeling returning to Mick is sticking with a physical game, about using McClean's willingness to run up and down the flanks rather than cultivating a possession based team. His time in charge of the Ireland squad was one of great highs, with an excellent squad of players capable of beating anyone on their day, and it's the Ireland I remember from my youth until my early twenties, it's the Ireland I really grew into watching, but that Ireland side is long gone and the game has moved on. I don't think it would work. Kenny offers more potential for change.

There's always the uneasy feeling though that this is papering over the cracks, and that there's a pressing need for structural reform and the lowest ebb is a great time to do that. Clear out the FAI, bring in people with a keen interest in developing the local game, try and benefit more than just the national side. 

Kenny has won things, is young, progressive, plays very good football, knows the League of Ireland and has taken very average (by international standards) players and made them successful.

Whereas McCarthy is A Big Name.

And for the FAI, that is all that matters.

22 minutes ago, bear said:

Can't disagree with any of that. Kerr's been spot on with his analysis too - he wants to see the national team manager involved in as many levels of the game as possible, not just turning up ten times a season for a match but setting out the philosophies of how the game is played and coached in the country. Underage sides playing the same systems used by the seniors, which isn't happening.

(a good thing for the current underage sides, to be fair).

It's been a while since we had a bit of Friday football-based procrastination so how about this - how do you feel about your club's crest/badge? What is your favourite overall?

Watford_05_grande.jpg.c655bba1d1e073f62031febcc57571c8.jpg

The reason i ask is there are some rumblings of Watford changing their crest and it's split the fanbase through the middle. Personally I love it, it's iconic in a strange way and signifies the switchover from 4th division nobodies to chipper up-and-comers in the 70s. 

As for others, I weirdly like Blackburn's 90s 3D clipart jobbie and Palermo's is super classy.