rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

2 hours ago, Bacon Horsemeat said:

This is a great game. Should be 1-1 now, that penalty was a farce

55 minutes ago, deerokus said:

Scotland have improved a lot and should have got a point. Good performance. 

This is the issue with VAR, or if you want to be pedantic, its use, right there. 

It’s supposed to remove all doubt and questionable decisions and yet everyone seems to agree the penalty should not have been given. 

Yeah, yeah, it’s the rule etc. But it was not given before VAR stepped in. Whereas before common sense could have prevailed, VAR meant the referee felt forced to award a penalty and honour the stupid handball rule.

If you want to be even more pedantic and suggest all the rules should be enforced strictly then we’d just have constant indirect free kicks. 

The controversy has gone nowhere and whilst I accept that the tech itself is not at fault, I don’t think it works when applied to football. At least not in the way it has been. I don’t see the point. 

• Upvote 1

Perhaps the way that VAR is going just serves to prove that strange decisions happened not because referees had a poor view, or it all happened too fast, but because some referees will interpret incidents in really bizarre ways even when shown the incident in super slow motion from several angles. 

Japan trying break down a stubborn Argentina. Love watching the left back Aya Sameshima. Unusual running style and a technically clever player. 

Ireland finally score from a deflection. Hopefully that'll settle all nerves and lead to a nice, comfy win. Just a shame it coincided with Denmark retaking the lead against Georgia.

They're lacking when it comes to creating real chances in behind the defence. Sure, Gibraltar always have men back but the final ball always seems to find a man in white, rather than one in green. McGoldrick's unlucky not have scored, but I don't think you could say that about anyone else.

At least the U21s are in the semis of the Toulon tournament, although I don't think they'll overcome Brazil.

Cullen has said otherwise, but then at one time or another I'm sure Rice and Grealish did likewise. Still, I think Mick may have give him a run out if the lead was two or three.

Luckily, the low scoreline probably won't matter as head to head results come first. Denmark and Switzerland's 3-3 draw means they'll likely always have the edge in the event each team draws with the others.

Bhutan are the first team to be knocked out of the 2022 World Cup. With a 1-0 lead from the first game against Guam, they lost 5-0 away today and that's their lot.

Timor-Leste are likely to follow given they're 7-1 down to Malaysia, while Macau didn't bother sending a team to their second leg against Sri Lanka for safety reasons, so may lose out despite winning the first leg 1-0. 

• Upvote 1

Netherlands have just scored a late, late goal to beat New Zealand 1-0. Gutting for them, as they had defended really well up to that point. 

6 minutes in and Jonathon Pierce is already complaining about VAR and late flags. You’d thing after getting it off his chest in the first game he’d shut the fuck up about it and I question BBC sports judgement when he keeps getting the main games and Jacqui Oatley is relegated to the red button /end of rant,

• Upvote 1

6 minutes ago, ryodi said:

6 minutes in and Jonathon Pierce is already complaining about VAR and late flags. You’d thing after getting it off his chest in the first game he’d shut the fuck up about it and I question BBC sports judgement when he keeps getting the main games and Jacqui Oatley is relegated to the red button /end of rant,

He's been a miserable cunt for 25 years. Six more minutes isn't gonna cure him. 

I was sniggering at that earlier, that is properly sneaky!

Meanwhile the Thai women's team copped a real beating there. Merciless.

Watching the goals, the thing that strikes me as mental is how the USA keep celebrating every goal as if it means anything.  The 11th one was celebrated with a full-team pile-on, including subs and coaches, as if it was a last-minute winner in the final.

• Upvote 2

The Netherlands is the only difficult game in the group, I expect Chile to be on the end of a similar hiding. The celebrating of every goal was a bit weird, the Thai team are part timers so you'd think they'd look a little sheepish when the thirteenth goal went in even if it is at a World Cup. 

Sorry, I'm getting my groups mixed up. Sweden is still the only game in the US group that looks competitive when it's comes to topping the group, despite Chile's efforts against Sweden today.