rllmuk
Sign in to follow this  
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

7 hours ago, Plissken said:

There's a great article on The Ringer about embargoed player statements.

https://www.theringer.com/sports/2019/5/29/18643311/uk-sportswriting-embargo-access-champions-league-independent

Interesting but insane levels of entitlement, no?

All other things being equal, why should players be obliged to talk to the media at all? And then given the fact that 90% of media coverage is some sort of attempt to stoke controversy to drive page views or paper sales, if you were a soccer player why would you give them the oxygen? None of these players need some gobshite at the sun to misquote them to raise their profile. So I think it's only natural for players to impose whatever conditions they like if/when they deign to speak to the press. 

I think the writer basically mistakes his place in the value chain. If they want to be a journalist do proper journalism. But second hand reporting of whatever players say after a match is not journalism it's PR.

• Upvote 1

The basic answer to your first question is that speaking to the media is the only way they're speaking to the fans, the people who actually pay their insane wages.

If a media-bypassing way of doing so can be properly mandated then yeah, fuck the media.

Well the fans dont pay their wages. The clubs do. And they pay them to play football, mostly. And nowadays if soccer players want to have a direct relationship with the fans they can do so via social media or whatever.

Whatever way the football pans out over the next year or so, at least things from the Ireland camp are more fun with Mick in charge.

Robbie Keane: Well that's Redmond gone.

Mick McCarthy: Dick? (the kit man)

Keane: No, Nathan, he's being picked for England.

McCarthy: Thank fuck it's not Dick.

• Upvote 3

3 hours ago, Dudley said:

The basic answer to your first question is that speaking to the media is the only way they're speaking to the fans, the people who actually pay their insane wages.

If a media-bypassing way of doing so can be properly mandated then yeah, fuck the media.

Is that true anymore? What with them all being on social media. 

I like this video on 'Sarriball'.

Just team mates supporting eachother to form triangles/two passing options in small areas, dragging defenders, switching sides, moving around as one. Is it that hard?

Is clear the players were committed to doing it though. The speed of Hazard to pretty much sprint back to support the player on the ball and provide another triangle. And Giroud as well, he's darting into space and providing an opening for a pass but is he also aware of the Chelsea player behind him and where his movement ought to provide the triangle? Hazard further able to lay it off and carry his run with the defence overloaded on that side.

7 hours ago, bradigor said:

Is that true anymore? What with them all being on social media. 

True, but that's what I meant by mandated.

7 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

Just team mates supporting eachother to form triangles/two passing options in small areas, dragging defenders, switching sides, moving around as one. Is it that hard?

Is clear the players were committed to doing it though. The speed of Hazard to pretty much sprint back to support the player on the ball and provide another triangle. And Giroud as well, he's darting into space and providing an opening for a pass but is he also aware of the Chelsea player behind him and where his movement ought to provide the triangle? Hazard further able to lay it off and carry his run with the defence overloaded on that side.

I'm waiting to see the team who are good enough to be able to draw a cock and balls on the pitch with that technology.  

• Upvote 3

19 hours ago, Loik V credern said:

I stopped playing competitively around the year 2007 and that's precisely what we used to do at semi-pro level.  The pitch was split into sectors and you would always need a quota of players per sector when you had the ball and we were told never to run in a straight line to make yourself available, we were told to make diagonal runs.  We were also told that one pass must be available forwards and one pass must always be available backwards and to never be stood still when in possession.  Watching that video is basically this - it's pretty much how I started getting coached as a 10 year old back in the 80s.

• Upvote 2
  • Downvote 1

Sort of stupid from Sissoko, but I have some sympathy for him. He's pointing for the fullback to cover outside, and Mane has deliberately chipped it into his arm. Cheap, but clever play from Mane. 

• Downvote 2

1 minute ago, Gorf King said:

Fucking hell. Bad start for the neutral, astonishing one for anyone.

Why is it a bad start? It means something has to happen! Rather then just being sterile 

• Upvote 2

Just now, minstrels said:

Is the YouTube stream incredibly artefact-y for anybody else?

Just about to ask the exact same thing... :(

3 minutes ago, humdrum said:

Why is it a bad start? It means something has to happen! Rather then just being sterile 

This game was never going to be sterile. A penalty within 30s is no way to set the tone and pace of the game, especially when it's Liverpool getting it. I'd rather have seen the two teams develop their play naturally, and a goal in the fist minute from a pen kind of cuts that development down a bit and sets the stalls out lopsidedly. 

2 minutes ago, minstrels said:

Is the YouTube stream incredibly artefact-y for anybody else?

Lots of artefacts and the ball is ghosting.