rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

*cough* says the guy who keeps tear dropping only my posts *cough* :rolleyes:

I was posting a picture I found funny base on that weird City fans first reaction to winning the cup. If we won a treble I wouldn't be singing or ranting about City players. That's the difference.

It's also not just me pointing things out about City but as I'm a Liverpool fan, you only target my posts

*incoming tear reaction*

11 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

*cough* says the guy who keeps tear dropping only my posts *cough* :rolleyes:

I was posting a picture I found funny base on that weird City fans first reaction to winning the cup. If we won a treble I wouldn't be singing or ranting about City players. That's the difference.

It's also not just me pointing things out about City but as I'm a Liverpool fan, you only target my posts

*incoming tear reaction*

37 minutes ago, PC Master Race said:

image.png.6f53e40d456140f2bf6b32b4819c81c8.png

You're obsessed.

No, you are.

Also, dont be salty as fuck if you dont want to get the salty tear.

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 5

City fans still think that their club is the same, slightly hapless club that it was from the 70s to the 90s.  That fanbase defined itself with an authenticity and a connection to Manchester that the faceless, corporate, trophy winning machine across the other side was incapable of being.

They're still clinging on to that despite their club becoming more of a faceless, corporate, trophy winning machine than United ever were.

• Upvote 6
  • Downvote 1

Or, conversely, they are a fanbase who have suffered some really tough times, who have lived in the shadow of the massive corporate Man U machine gobbling up title after title, and have always been laughed as the runt of the litter.

There's fans in those Etihad stands that were not long ago turning up to support third division football. And there's been times where not only have they been behind United in the Greater Manchester pecking order, they've been behind Bolton, Oldham or Wigan too.

Judging a club by some nebulous ranking of the morality of their owners - fine, whatever.

But those fans who've had to suffer in the shadow of United their entire lives and now, finally, get a chance to taste the glory? Nah, I reckon they paid their dues. 

• Upvote 9
  • Downvote 1

tenor.gif

Said to my mate after Pereyra missed the 1 on 1 'that was the chance'. I don't even really blame anyone for the loss, Gomes should have done better for the 2nd but Foster conceded an identical one against Wolves recently so any talk about 2nd choice keepers etc is missing the point. We were just outclassed unfortunately. 

• Empathy 1

It’s pretty ironic that this Liverpool vs Man City ‘new fan rivalry’ about who has the most loyal supported them through thick and thin fan base is basically Man City being where Liverpool where 30 odd years ago - old timer glory hunters picking on modern times glory hunters :lol:

• Downvote 1

18 hours ago, Stigweard said:

Pep wondering why other fans don't connect with City. This is why. Its just boring and one sided in 90% of their games. 

I don't agree with this in the slightest; despite the scoreline Watford did make a decent game of it, Man City were just better and finished their chances. In the second half Watford came straight out to give it a go - arguably a bit too soon for that - but it didn't work out and the third really killed them. It looked like the occasion got to Pererya, maybe the early miss was on his mind but there were a few instances after that where he could have done better but seemed indecisive and they really didn't need that. Unfortunately for them it wasn't to be.

Either way, some of the play was exhilarating to watch with that move where de Bruyne ended up wildly sidefooting over the bar being one of those where I was willing him to score even though the score didn't matter. It wasn't boring in the way I could find those matches where Barcelona would spend 95% of the match just holding onto the ball and suffocating the other team. Man City just kept attacking, and not in any way that was taking the piss with tricks and flicks, just directly in a manner where every player showed they wanted it and cared about it as if they were men possessed.

So not the greatest final, but I can't say I was bored by it and ended up being fairly in awe at the performance Man City put in. 

• Upvote 3

Kompany has left City for Anderlecht, as player-manager.

Hope he succeeds.  He always seemed like a gent - rather rare in the game these days.

• Upvote 2

3 hours ago, Pants McSkill said:

Or, conversely, they are a fanbase who have suffered some really tough times, who have lived in the shadow of the massive corporate Man U machine gobbling up title after title, and have always been laughed as the runt of the litter.

There's fans in those Etihad stands that were not long ago turning up to support third division football. And there's been times where not only have they been behind United in the Greater Manchester pecking order, they've been behind Bolton, Oldham or Wigan too.

Judging a club by some nebulous ranking of the morality of their owners - fine, whatever.

But those fans who've had to suffer in the shadow of United their entire lives and now, finally, get a chance to taste the glory? Nah, I reckon they paid their dues. 

Oh, they can feel they’ve paid their dues. That doesn’t mean the rest of us don’t see their club as a Frankenstein mess of an old club grafted to Middle Eastern blood money.

• Upvote 2

I couldn’t give a shit about and their fans, new or old. If kids want to buy the T-shirt and support the team that’s winning it’s nothing new and I’m fine with it. 

What I don’t understand is neutral fans cheering them on. I get why people don’t like Liverpool and City have been historically neutral in terms of success so haven’t pissed people off as much as maybe Liverpool and Man Utd have in past decades, but it’s not good to have one team winning everything. Sure, if it’s your team then great, but if it’s not why would you support that?

Someone in here mentioned that it was interesting to watch the formation of a dynasty. I really don’t think it is unless you support that team. The way City have gone about things would have had me cheering on Liverpool this season even if I wasn’t a fan. I understand bitter rivals not doing that, but I don’t get why fans of other clubs would be delighted to see City win everything. 

• Upvote 1

I don't understand any of the bullshit you lot are going on about. If you don't like a team don't try to justify it, exactly the same as if you support a team.

Football support is completely irrational.

• Upvote 5

22 minutes ago, Pockets said:

but I don’t get why fans of other clubs would be delighted to see City win everything. 

No one is delighted to see City win everything are they? Apart from City fans obviously. We were all just happy it wasn't Liverpool winning the league. :sherlock:

• Upvote 1
  • Downvote 1

City haven't been successful for long enough for everyone to hate them, give it a couple more years of walkovers like this year and opinions will change. I assume the hate Liverpool get is from people in their late 30s and over because apart from the odd cup win they've had three serious title challenges in the time that United, Arsenal, Chelsea and now City have dominated the league for varying periods of time .

I'm surprised Kompany has gone straight into a player / manager role. He's only 33 I thought he might move to Serie A in the last few years of his playing career.  Like Gerrard at Rangers I expect a few young City players to be playing their on loan next season now he's in charge.

• Upvote 1

Plenty of people like to watch good football though. Same for the Utd sides of the 90's/00's. They were incredible.

Sure, it's nice to cheer on the underdog but personally, I also like to watch quality football played in the right manner and I think City tick those boxes. Whereas the tikki takka stuff Spain used to play didn't do as much for me.

I have my rational and irrational dislikes for certain sides but above all, when my team arent playing and I'm somewhat neutral, I just like watching the game played in the right way.

• Upvote 4

@ryodi Kompany is an Anderlecht boy isn't he? He's born and raised in Brussels, came through Anderlecht on the way up so perhaps he's always wanted to go back before he's an old man? Seems perfect to me.  

The City one is bizarre. The title race was so closely contested yet that makes it look like they won the league in january or something. I guess its hard when they all speak different languages. Had Ajax not won the league for years?

2 minutes ago, McFly said:

The City one is bizarre. The title race was so closely contested yet that makes it look like they won the league in january or something. I guess its hard when they all speak different languages. Had Ajax not won the league for years?

They won it 4 years on the trot and then didn't win it for another 4 years.

My mate, a Villa fan, is wondering why they’re bothering to get promoted to the Prem. There’s no point any more. You have no chance to win anything unless you’re backed by a frivolous billionaire. 

• Upvote 1

14 minutes ago, Shimmyhill said:

Leicester..

...had quite a lot of money injected by a rich owner, even if not on the scale of the big teams. 

• Upvote 3

Enough to breach FFP and get a £3.1m fine from the football league. Which helpfully the prize money from the PL easily covered.

• Upvote 1