rllmuk
Plissken

Football Thread 2018/19

7 hours ago, Boothjan said:

It's the right call.  I have a lot of time for Hughton but he's got his limit, and a struggle to stay in the top flight is his.  He's not dissimilar to Mick McCarthy in that regard, and plenty of Championship clubs could do a lot worse than appoint him to get them up.

Ultimately, I don't think he's got the tactical nous to go any further than he has with Brighton, and they need to start looking towards improving rather than just hanging on in 17th. 

I hope Hughton returns to the game soon though.

I think we have the bloke from Swansea lined up. I know nothing about him other than he's made them more attacking which is what we want. But they finished 10th in the Championship.

He took Ostersunds from the Swedish fourth tier to beating Arsenal at the Emirates. 

He is "not bad" and has done a decent enough job at a Swansea side in a bit of disarray. With a little more luck - or VAR - they could have beaten Man City in the cup, too. 

• Upvote 1

Watching Leicester win in 2016 was amazing. I think everyone could enjoy that. It's just shame that it wasn't recognised as the first sign of us slipping into an alternate dimension of craziness. It would take Brexit and Trump later that year and even now, some still haven't realised.

• Upvote 2

I can see both sides of the arguments about non-locals supporting "big teams". I've liked, then supported, Liverpool ever since I got interested in football (around 98) for a number of reasons - none being geographical. Yet living in Scotland I do seem to meet a lot of people that claim to support big English sides (Usually while claiming to also support one of the Old Firm teams)  and most are quite clueless when it comes to the club, past players, history etc...  One work colleague that claimed to be a Liverpool fan didn't even know Rafa used to manage us. I mean that's just embarrassing and gives us other faraway fans a bad image. 

5 minutes ago, Plissken said:

All Watford fans like Elton John.  I don't mean because he was their chairman, I mean they actually like his records.

:o how dare you! (I follow Watford's results because they're my local team but Liverpool are my favourite)

Have you not heard Saturday Night's Alright?

I'll give you the rest of his songs though.

• Upvote 1

1 hour ago, Plissken said:

All Spurs fans like artisan cheeses and would have been Arsenal fans but found them not hipster-ish enough because the Gunners were winning things 15 years ago.

How... DARE... you!  *spit!*  Don't ever mention Spurs and THAT SHITTY TEAM in the same sentence again! :D 

• Upvote 1

I was reading about Bernardo Silva, because he is nice. Then I chanced across this video of him on a chicken shop date (and Jesse Lingard - not at the same time tho that'd be even weirder)

I like him even more now. 

• Upvote 2

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

All Everton fans secretly wish they were born into the other half of the family

All Everton fans live in the big blue house on County Road, because they are true local fans. 

2 hours ago, Plissken said:

Look.  It's all very simple.

My face when I know my team will never be on this list. 

Everyone knows to to be a true fan you have to support a team that’s always going to be lower league. 

• Empathy 2

1 hour ago, stefcha said:

I was reading about Bernardo Silva, because he is nice. Then I chanced across this video of him on a chicken shop date (and Jesse Lingard - not at the same time tho that'd be even weirder)

I like him even more now. 

He pretty much ticks every box. Insanely hard working, humble, charming, funny and brilliant at football on top. Impossible to dislike.

It's just hit me that I'm going to the FA Cup final on Saturday. The last time Watford were in this position I was the same age as my daughter is now. Gonna listen to Elton all week now. Getting all misty-eyed thinking of GT and all that.

I'm a rocket maaaaaan

• Upvote 1

6 hours ago, Plissken said:

All Liverpool fans are full kit wanker weirdos who get misty eyed at the mention of the Kop, Kenny Dalglish or Cilla Black.  Despite coming from Hampshire.

I had to post this and make fun of myself at the accuracy of this

This is me, in full kit wanker mode as a kid in my back garden. In Hampshire.

:lol:

image001.png

• Upvote 8

17 minutes ago, Fry Crayola said:

This panel from Squires today is just perfect.

An9fqz5.png

Yeah, that got a loud cackle out of me in the office.

@cowfields Great post :) as I say, it's absolutely up to the individual to enjoy the sport however they see fit.  You're right, Nuno's beard is awesome, in fact I've started one myself in his honour (actually it's because my new girlfriend likes it, but that's my story and I'm sticking with it).

Wolves are playing in the Asia Premier League trophy over the summer, it's on Sky, so as I live not far away in East London, if you'd like to watch a meaningless Wolves game with another fan let me know :)

43 minutes ago, cowfields said:

While we're on the subject of "true fans" and so on, this feels like a good subject to tell a little story.

This might be really boring so feel free to neg away but I felt like sharing:

I was never really into football. Would occasionally pay attention to a big tournament like the World Cup. Last year the World Cup happened and my then-girlfriend now-fiancée was all excited about it and got me into it too. We really committed and like a pair of losers with spare cash we even managed to complete a Panini sticker album. Our weekends were framed around which pub we'd try out to watch games or whether we'd get a sofa-picnic together in front of the telly. We even ended up going to Hyde Park to see  England lose to Hrvatska, which hurt but then we rooted for the red-chequered guys simply because we'd been to Dubrovnik the following year and had been supporting them throughout the rest of the tournament.

So that ended and I wasn't ready to ignore football for another 4 years. I started asking when the next tournament was and she did point out that it wasn't long before the Premier League started. My friend told me not to get into it, there's too many games...I read a Vice article targeted exactly at me: It basically warned against people who 'discovered' a love of footy at the World Cup thinking they were now into the sport - because picking a team to support would just lead to heartache and disappointment, because it's just an emotional struggle following a team and then having to just be sad and disappointed at the heartache of if all.

I ignored that and we have since spent way too much money on NowTV day-passes and week-passes (and discovered footybites too late). 

I've absolutely loved it. My fiancée was a junior Magpie (though she tends to keep her top on at games) and her dad used to take her to St James Park when she was young. But we live in Tottenham, and my Uncle has always been a Spurs fan and so it felt quite convenient to support them too. She's made it very clear to me that they are No.2 to Newcastle though and I should keep my priorities straight.

But we've really really loved Wolves this season. It's a few reasons: Nuno's beard. He just seems like such a nice guy, and they've been great to watch. I like beards and yellow tops and the fact that they are FUCKING CALLED WOLVES and have the best badge. So it feels so arbitrary to say I support Wolves, but I do. We would quite like to see them at a game if we can. Just because they've entertained us. So we're not "true fans" by any means. Sure, if they played Spurs or Newcastle, I'd want them to lose. But most of the time you're not having to make that call, and it's just fun to have a side you want to win.

So when all this rivalry and ribbing comes in about how your team is shit, I'm taking it in good humour as I know it's not real but as a soft lad who still feels a little intimidated by fans at football matches, it's taking some getting used to. I've just got some teams that I enjoy, and that I'll root for. 

In theory I should support Reading as that's where I'm from, and I once ran through the Madejski stadium at the end of a half marathon. So maybe I'll go see them.

We saw Newcastle beat Fulham 4-0. That was good fun. I wore her dad's Newcastle shirt from the 80s. Plus I've counselled my fiancée enough during their struggles, and I was happy that she was happy to finally go to a match where they actually won for a change.  I'm desperate to see the new Spurs stadium, and it's only up the road. No idea when we can manage to get a ticket though. 

Sorry for the ramble, just felt like sharing.

Sports lol.

As a Reading supporter myself, I have to say we peaked back in 2007, there is no way we will ever finish 8th in the Premier League again.  So if you do decide to support the Royals, be prepared for many seasons of heartbreak and disappointment. 

But at the same time, I am not sure there can be many fans of any team in football, that would have had a better two seasons than I was lucky to witness from 2005 to 2007.  

• Empathy 2

The amount of people from Aberdeen that support an Old Firm club is baffling as much as anything else. Especially folk about my age or bit older, mid-30s. I grew up in the 80s and Aberdeen were phenomenal then, yet loads of born an bred Aberdonians support one of the 2 big Glasgow clubs :seanr: I get it if youre from Skye or abroad but not so much a big city with a good team. I guess religion maybe comes into it in our stupid country, but its still lame.

I went to school in Inverness and loads of kids supported Caley (when they entered the league mainly)  and another team, usually Old Firm. I remember when the new Caley Park opened there was a friendly against Rangers and there fans cheering both teams when they scored <_< :wacko:

City players showing it's important to act with humility when victorious. Always great to sing about fans who almost lost their lives. 

"All the way to Kiev
To end up in defeat
Crying in the stands
And battered on the streets
Komoany injured Salah
Victims of it all
Sterling won the double
The scousers won fuck all
Allez Allez Allez"

49 minutes ago, Stopharage said:

City players showing it's important to act with humility when victorious. Always great to sing about fans who almost lost their lives. 

"All the way to Kiev
To end up in defeat
Crying in the stands
And battered on the streets
Komoany injured Salah
Victims of it all
Sterling won the double
The scousers won fuck all
Allez Allez Allez"

Saw that, sure some will justify it in some way.