Football Thread 2018/19

Astonishing. Surely one of - if not the - greatest European results of all time. I mean, not just a 3-0 deficit to overcome, with any overcommitting of players potentially leading to a killer away goal, but against a resurgent Barcelona with Messi in possibly the form of his life. I fucking love Klopp.

4 minutes ago, The Fox said:

They’ve got to sack Valverde for that, surely. I know they missed chances to put the tie to bed and he can’t help that, but they’ve been humiliated two seasons in a row in away semi-final legs and he looked absolutely clueless in both.

They only made the quarters last year.

They are either going to win the Champions League after it looked like they were coming away with nothing after being brilliant all season or in a year they'll lose TWO champions league finals and miss out on the Prem title with record points.

Glenn Murray hat-trick Sunday to really turn everything on its head.

1 hour ago, Mike said:

The last 24 hours as a Liverpool fan is exactly why football is so wonderful.

Honestly, last night I struggled to sleep. I felt Leicester were really doing it and then BAM that wonder strike is smacked in. My heart sank and I felt awful. The league pretty much gone and then having to overcome a 3-0 deficit to Barca. The thought of what might happen tonight if Barca scored first had me in a right funk all day.....

...then up steps big Divock and the rest is history.

What a difference 24 hours makes, I'm absolutely buzzing.

47 minutes ago, Stigweard said:

Honestly, last night I struggled to sleep. I felt Leicester were really doing it and then BAM that wonder strike is smacked in. My heart sank and I felt awful. The league pretty much gone and then having to overcome a 3-0 deficit to Barca. The thought of what might happen tonight if Barca scored first had me in a right funk all day.....

...then up steps big Divock and the rest is history.

What a difference 24 hours makes, I'm absolutely buzzing.

I let my boy stay up to watch the City game and then again today. He was crying at the whistle after the City game and just said "I hate everything" when I tried to console him. The look on his face at the whistle tonight was like a dragon had flown past the window or something. He was crying again but this time it was with pure joy. I'll never forget the look on his face. He's only 7 so he still believes in fairytales and shit. Even he understood how ridiculous it was that we came back like that. 

If City do win it, I'll be sore but I won't be thinking about the draws and wondering what if. This team is incredible and I have belief that this is just the start for them. The fucking balls on them! 

Went to sleep at half time (jet lagged) and checked my phone for the result at 3.45am.  Fair bloody play to them.  Just watched the highlights and that fourth goal is equal parts clever, funny and cheeky as fuck.

8 hours ago, dogsout said:

I let my boy stay up to watch the City game and then again today. He was crying at the whistle after the City game and just said "I hate everything" when I tried to console him. The look on his face at the whistle tonight was like a dragon had flown past the window or something. He was crying again but this time it was with pure joy. I'll never forget the look on his face. He's only 7 so he still believes in fairytales and shit. Even he understood how ridiculous it was that we came back like that. 

If City do win it, I'll be sore but I won't be thinking about the draws and wondering what if. This team is incredible and I have belief that this is just the start for them. The fucking balls on them! 

I am 37 and after last night I bloody believe in fairytales :D 

It'd be somewhat fitting for Liverpool to win the Champions League after the season they've had.  They're FAR too good a side to finish the season empty handed and I can't see City slipping up at Brighton.

Last night was ridiculous and it's why I love the game so much.  A shame that there's so much bitterness towards Liverpool on Twitter this morning from some Wolves fans I follow (though plenty of others have called them out on it) because if you can't hold your hands up and say 'fair play' after THAT comeback, I don't think football is the game for you.

TAA was outstanding throughout and the 4th goal was utterly brilliant from him.

Well played Scousefans - I shall be rooting for you in the final.

18 minutes ago, Boothjan said:

It'd be somewhat fitting for Liverpool to win the Champions League after the season they've had.  They're FAR too good a side to finish the season empty handed and I can't see City slipping up at Brighton.

Last night was ridiculous and it's why I love the game so much.  A shame that there's so much bitterness towards Liverpool on Twitter this morning from some Wolves fans I follow (though plenty of others have called them out on it) because if you can't hold your hands up and say 'fair play' after THAT comeback, I don't think football is the game for you.

TAA was outstanding throughout and the 4th goal was utterly brilliant from him.

Well played Scousefans - I shall be rooting for you in the final.

I said in the Liverpool thread after some doom and gloom from others that this could be the greatest week ever. I stand by that. I think we'll be riding the wave of emotion from last night and get the result against your lot* and I also think Brighton WILL get at draw against Man City.

*You guys have been a breath of fresh air in the league and cups. Shown that if you get the setup right, you can come in and look like you fit. 

TBH last night was the worst possible result for us :lol:

It won't be easy for you though.  We quite like it when teams try to attack us.  Ultimately I think you'll have too much for us but what a great game to be involved in, with the pressure very much off us now we've got 7th spot secured.

But I can't see Brighton holding Man City - they're a shambles and are lucky that 2 sides have been resigned to relegation for most of the season because any other year, they'd still be fighting for their lives.  Since Christmas, they have shown no intention of playing football, no intention of attacking, so they'll try to park the bus to keep City out.  It worked against some teams but it won't work against Man City.

And thank you - I've absolutely loved this season (94th minute and onwards in the semi final and the 2 games v Huddersfield excepted!) and I never in a million years thought I'd see my club in this position.  7th best team in the country - 'the best of the rest' if you like - and 1 Man City victory in the Cup Final away from the Europa League.  Fairytale stuff.  5 years ago yesterday, we sacked Dean Saunders.... #progress 

I know! it's almost like other people have differing opinions on the bin dippers!

My dislike goes back to being  a kid and all the glory seekers supporting liverpool instead of their local club (Southampton) ... the present day agro is just a mild annoyance (i'm big enough to realise there's a pecking order in football and Saints are nowhere near the top)... the idea that foreign stars should have any kind of loyalty beyond a fat wage packet is frankly laughable.

That said, yesterdays result was a fucking brilliant two fingered salute that shows you that that's what football is about and why it's the greatest team sport on the planet....

I've got a friend a few years older than me who grew up in Wandsworth. His parents were old hippies who gave no shits about football, but he loved it, and at the time he fell in love with it, Nottingham Forest were this new force (late 70's) so he aligned with them. He's stuck with them ever since. Buys the shirts, attends games. Is he a glory hunter? Hasn't been much glory since. He loves them though.  I've never understood the smuggery of local supporters. Ironically his local team would have been Wimbledon who now ply their trade in Milton sodding Keynes so you can't win huh?

There are pros and cons with Liverpool fans, much like most sets of fans. As a broad generalisation, they do tend to have a passionate and positive fanbase, certainly compared to Arsenal fans who are surely the worst around, but on the flipside a disproportionately high number of them are really fucking weird. Klopp is the perfect coach for them in this sense.

Anyway they're a really well-run club, it's hard to begrudge them a trophy after the season they've had, and obviously I'll be cheering them on as passionately as any Scouser if they end up playing Spurs in the final. 

If we’d beat Fulham or Palace and were only 2 points behind Brighton then you’d assume Brighton would set themselves up for a point/super park the bus which they managed away against Wolves, Arsenal and nearly Spurs knowing a point would do it even if we somehow won at Old Trafford.

Man city would have probably broke through, but you never know. 

For the Neutral, I guess Brighton being 2-0 up and Liverpool drawing 1-1 with 15 mins to go would be quite exciting!

1 hour ago, PopeSmokesDope said:

the idea that foreign stars should have any kind of loyalty beyond a fat wage packet is frankly laughable.

The bit where all these fat wage packet stars stood, with interlocked arms in front of the Kop, singing YNWA along with the crowd was pretty moving (and I'm an Everton fan). Quite a lot of them were crying. What more do you want?

2 minutes ago, cavalcade said:

The bit where all these fat wage packet stars stood, with interlocked arms in front of the Kop, singing YNWA along with the crowd was pretty moving (and I'm an Everton fan). Quite a lot of them were crying. What more do you want?

I think there are different kinds of players. I used to have a bit of a problem with cheering on the exploits of millionaires who are just having fun and can't possibly care, but I think some do.

Yes, it's a game and they have nothing to worry about outside of it but that game is their life. They may not have any connection to the city they play for but they can build one and become part of a team and want to win. 

This may be a typical 'Liverpool fan' type thing to say but I do think Klopp seeks out players with that mentality over flashier star names who won't be prepared to be a part of something bigger than themselves. The fact that Liverpool are such a schmaltzy emotion laden club - the very thing that annoys many - probably does help to make some of these millionaires feel part of something bigger.

Messi and Neymar would be good examples. One is more or less a one club man loyal to his team and fans and the other is more concerned with building his 'brand' and doesn't seem to give a shit about the team or fellow players let alone the fans. When Messi retires he'll have a special, emotional connection with the club and fans he played for that will last forever and go beyond money and medals. Of course, he's probably the best player ever so there's that too, but what will Neymar have at the end of his career? A load of cash.